Devastating News

• 182 Replies

Offline maha

Re: Devastating News
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
manal
Hassan has had all his regular vaccines including hib, but no doc reccomended prevanar, is it the same vaccine that is used for pneumonia? If yes it was not available a couple of months back. I will check with the doc again on my next visit.
thankyou
maha

Offline jade

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »
Hi Maha

I hope your little guy gets well soon.

I went to the hospital appointment today where my son is being treated after he was admitted during the course of this year for vomiting and became weak thereof.  After that he had problems with the skin of his face, it cracked and became reddish like after a burn.  He is almost always coughing, he cannot eat ice creams, around 2 am he would start coughing if the air cools a little.  I can almost predict when he will start coughing nowadays. At times he even wheezes when the coughing goes on for a few days.

The doctor, who was very nice, told me that my son is prone to allergies and thus asthma and that I will have to be careful with him, to avoid dust etc. 

I am looking for a zinc potion but they all have iron in them.  I wanted to ask whether Zincovit can be given to a child of 5 yrs old.  I have not yet obtained it but if it can be given to children then I will try to look for it .

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2008, 02:29:50 PM »
Dear Maha

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing or not, but here is a link of FAQ about Prevnar as well as other information. I think it is a very important vaccine to any child especially if a chronic disease like thal is found. Though Ahmad is considered big to take it, but his ped recommended it for him and he will have it by the beginning of January

http://www.prevnar.com/d01_faq.aspx

http://www.prevnar.com/c01_dosing_schedule.aspx

Manal

Offline Manal

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2008, 03:01:51 PM »
Hi Jade

I am so sorry to know about the allergy of your son. It will be very helping if you get to know through tests or your observation what tiggers his allergy. Sometimes it food, humidity, dust, or sometimes strange things like my brother who found after many years that his asthma is at its peak when he sleeps on pillows made of cotton as there are somethings (can't remember right now).

I also advice you of giving him Curcumin as it helpedmy daughter in her nose allergy. You can read about it in this link
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2175.0

As for the Zincovit, it is written on the site below that it can be given to children as young as 3 years
Directions: Children, three years and over : Suck or chew one tablet daily. Adults : Suck or chew one tablet twice a day; Can be increased to four a day if desired. Store in a cool dry place, keep out of reach and sight of children.

Remember that it has 150mg of Vitamin C ( i am sorry, don't know if your son has thal or not, but if yes let him take it between meals)

Also you can find in the link below the recommended daily intake for zinc
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/zinc/

The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for Zinc
Children  4-8 years 5 mg 

Also one of the good sources for zinc in addition to all bones requirments is Osteocare which has 5mg zinc in each chewable tablet
http://www.vitabiotics.com/osteocare/osteocare_chew_formula.aspx?ID=103&sm=9

Take care
manal

Offline jade

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2008, 04:40:47 PM »
Thank you very much Manal for the information.

My son is most probably thal minor ( because of his blood test result). 

I'll look for the zincovit.  I thought that osteocare was for those with osteoporosis problems!? :huh

Take care
Jade

Offline Manal

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2008, 01:52:45 AM »
You are welcomed Jade :hugfriend

Osteocare, is generally for haviing healthy bones and can be taken by any one starting from one year to adults and in pregnancy and breastfeeding.

It is also available in different forms: syrup, chewables, tablets and fizz

manal

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2008, 12:06:14 AM »
hi all ,
i m just back to the forum , i dont know wat were on here but i hope that , Everythig is fine at your places ( Ahmed ,  Hassan & all others ) .. take care

Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Manal

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2008, 01:59:46 AM »
Thanks Umair, hope you had a good time :hugfriend

manal

Offline maha

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2008, 05:08:21 AM »
thanks umair Hassan is fine and hope the same for u
maha

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2008, 02:32:37 PM »
 :urwelcome Manal n Maha ,
i m super fine ... yeah i had a super good time.
take care
Umair
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:53:28 PM by nice friend »
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2009, 02:18:42 PM »
Hello Friends,

So we don't have any new update so far. We are still waiting for the appoinrment at Osteoporosis clinic. She is taking her calcium and vitamin D regularly.
Regards.

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2009, 03:28:45 PM »
Canadian Family

You are in our prayers!

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2009, 02:38:25 AM »
Canadian Family,

I am glad to know that our little princess is getting her calcium and vitamin D.  With her new activity routine and supplements she will improve very soon. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2009, 05:14:27 PM »
Thanks Sharmin,

Yesterday we had "Compression fracture test" done on her, its like a X-ray test which determines the chances of fracture or determine, how prone she is to compression fractures. We are very concerned right now. The Osteoporosis clinic are waiting for this specific testing before appointment. We are given some indication that she would start from a combination of drugs (contains high phosphorus, potassium and calcium). The regimen will continue for six months before they can see some improvement. I was not given any indication of Biphosphanates drugs (thankfully). However, we are still not believing anything they say.

Regards.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2009, 05:59:11 PM »
Canadian Family,

I can understand your concern.  Your daughter is in my prayers and I hope that her condition improves very soon and that your worries are alleviated.  Have you started writing a list of questions for the Osteoporosis clinic?  You may wish to know soon and how much improvement you can expect for a child her age.  Also, you will want to know how you can gain maximum benefits for her.  Be sure to carefully record all of the information that they give you.  We did that for our appointment in Oakland and we still refer back to our records.  Have you considered visiting Dr. Vichinsky?  I think that it would be well worth the effort, his experience and expertise is unmatched. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk