Thal Intermedia...Would you suggest flu shot for the winter

• 2 Replies
Thal Intermedia...Would you suggest flu shot for the winter
« on: November 26, 2008, 05:55:01 AM »
Hello everyone. Happy thanksgiving.

I have a question. My husband is Thal intermedia. Winter is coming up. He is 24 and does not need transfusion or anything of that sort.he did up until he was about 18, 19.. He had his spleen taking out a couple of years ago. He is okay now, up and running like normal and doesn't need transfusions....but about a flu shot...Last year when he got the flu shot, it make him really weak the next day and he lost some weight pretty fast also... I thought it would help last year because it would prevent him from getting a cold and such but after what happened not so sure anymore....so I'm not sure if he should take another one this year...what do you guys suggest?

Also just went to the doctor...his hb is at about an 8 level...is that bad?? okay?..not sure?? HELP!!

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Thal Intermedia...Would you suggest flu shot for the winter
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 06:01:52 AM »
Hi Sighvang

Nothing is supposed to stop him from taking the shot unless he is taking the hydroxyurea, he should not take live vaccines during the administration of it at all.

As for the Hb, my opinion is that as long as there is no deformity, extramedullary hematopesis and he is functioning well in his daily activity, this would be okay

take care
manal

Offline cherieann

Re: Thal Intermedia...Would you suggest flu shot for the winter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 12:24:58 AM »
Hi Sighvang
I have Thal intermedia/major and I have the flu injections.
It is not suppose to stop all flu virus but it does help with most.
Personally for me I prefer to have it so I don't get too sick.
This is an issue that your husband would need to decide for himself. There is never any right or wrong answers as it comes down to our personal choices for ourselves whether we adhere to the guidelines or not.
I can understand your concern as none of us like to see our loved ones being ill.
What ever you two decide, you have our support.
Cherieann
Thalassaemia is a lifestyle not a burden.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk