im sure this is a repeat question...

• 6 Replies

Offline Christine Mary

• Mother of Lauryn, who has Thal Major
im sure this is a repeat question...
« on: November 23, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »
hi to all.

for those who know me i have a thal major child...which makes me have thal minor...

i was curious, i know this has been mentioned bhis thal minor ofefore here,(but i am unable to find the answers im looking for).

there are different "levels" of minor,correct?
ive been put on a serires of medicine for depression lately and im trying to rule side effects out.BUT even before my medication,I am EXTREMELY fatigued and weak.i bruise easily and no matter how much sleep i get i am still exhausted.
I get frequent headaches and my body always aches. Can this thal minor of mine be to blame? i mean is it possible to have complicated side effects? i talk 1 mg of folic acid a day,BUT IT DOESNT HELP!!!
i dont know what i can do.i just had blood drawn- a chem panel exactly.thats like 35 tests in 1.they will check my blood and every component/mineral/descrepency possible.any advice or ways to alieviate my symptoms???any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

love,
christine

Lauryn's Mom

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: im sure this is a repeat question...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 05:29:14 PM »
Hi Christine,

Yes, thal minor does vary greatly, whether most doctors recognize this or not. Hemoglobin levels in minors sometimes are 9 or even lower, so it can cause problems, especially fatigue.

First, for the bruising, take vitamin C. Thal minors are free to take C, unlike majors. I would suggest at least 500 mg twice daily. A general multi vitamin would also be helpful. For more energy, try B complex.  Also, if you take calcium supplements, make sure you are taking magnesium and vitamin D with the calcium. Magnesium will also help improve the health of the red blood cells. There is a very good one that is reasonably priced. http://www.puritan.com/b-complex-vitamins-021/b-100-complex-ultra-b-complex-tablets-000772?np=1  (Watch the sales. Often it is buy one, get two free). I know you're out in the southwest where there is a lot of sun, but if you don't manage to get daily sunshine, take a vitamin D supplement also. It can also make a difference in energy levels...I can't survive winter without it. And try to get some regular exercise. Walking and swimming are both great.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 01:57:28 AM »
Hi Christine

Actually i always have ALL of these symptoms so i believe it is thal that plays a role in that. Andy is very right about the supplements because usually my all over health is in its best when i am pregnant because at that time and very careful and prsistant about all these supplements and usually all these symptoms decrease or vanish, so give it a try and update us with your findings

good luck

manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:05:58 AM »
Hi Christine,

I have also dealt with some of the same symptoms.  I was also found to have a severe vitamin D deficiency and taking vitamin D supplement helped a lot.  I am also taking Swiss total one antioxidants multivitamins, omega 3-6-9, calcium/magnesium (2:1) and vitamin D.   

Vitamin D deficiency can make you feel miserable, it affects mood, bones and muscles.  People feel very fatigued when they have vit D deficiency. 

Drinking adequate water and eating frequently (every 2 hours) is very important for thal minors, especially us busy moms.  Thyroid function can also lead to some of these symptoms. 

Vitamin C works like a miracle for bruises (thank you Andy).  And B complex vitamins enhance energy levels (thanks Maaco and Andy).

30 minutes of resistance training 3 times a week will also do wonders for you energy level, well being and bone density.  A brisk walk a few times a week will add to this benefit.   

I hope that your symptoms disappear soon Christine:) 

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline zahra

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:25:09 AM »
Hi,
I just wanted to say I have the same symptoms except for the bruising. I also have Vit D deficiency and had been taking supplements of Vit D but they didnt help much so my doc gave me an injection. Body aches disappeared overnight for a few months. They are back again now. The doctor had said I would need at least two injections plus 15 minutes of sunshine a day. I havent followed up on that but am planning to go see her again soon. I am also  hypothyroid (autoimmune Hashimotos Thyroiditis) so thats what I attributed the fatigue and depression to . In addition I have an autoimmune eye disease called iritis or uvitis for the past two years now and had another autoimmune disease 6 years ago which the doctor couldnt name so called it mixed connective tissue disease. Thankfully that only lasted 6 months during which I was on prednisone and since then has disappeared,I hope permanently. It was horrible but I dont know if autoimmune disease have any relationship with Thalasemia minor. Vit D really helps with the body aches. I hope you find out what to do to make you feel completely well .
Zahra

Offline Christine Mary

• Mother of Lauryn, who has Thal Major
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 02:04:50 AM »
thank you all so much for your replies and help. i requested vit d rx from my dr and b12 injections. lets see if she helps me!

:hugfriend :hugfriend
christine

Lauryn's Mom

Offline Bigg

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »
(Watch the sales. Often it is buy one, get two free)

Good news, everyone. Try www.puritansale.com.
Here, you can always buy only one package and the price is ca. 70% off.
It is impractical sometimes to buy one, get two free, because you get for example a year's supply of a vitamin (it will not spoil during this year, but still). And the overall cost is also high then.

B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk