Pustules

• 13 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Pustules
« on: December 13, 2008, 04:24:19 AM »
Hi

Lately, my son  had many pustules ( big pimples full of pus). The first ( was on October 2nd )was really a big one above his knee and we used to put antibiotic cream on it until the pediatric saw it and told me that it is better to take antibiotic syrup too. It remained for 10 days until is was completly cured, but left a little scar. Later after a month or more,another one appeared on his nose and remained for a week or more ( we used antibiotic cream only this time ). Then  a week ago, another one apperared on his chin and we are still using the antibiotic cream till now.

They start as a red small dot then start to increase in size and get fatter until they are really inflamed and full of pus. Putting the cream makes the pus collects ( it is very painful atthis stage )until it burst then starts drying and decreasing in size.

When i asked the hematologist about these pustules, she told me to give my son '' Broncho - Vaxom '' which is Polyvalent Immunobiotherapy for respiratory system.  The dose is 1 pill for 10 days per month for 4 months. This medication is new here ( just two month - new release ) but i don't mind giving it as as it incrases the immunity of the respiratory system and the weather is getting colder and colder

Generally speaking i know that having these pustules may indicate weak immunity but his last CBC showed that his WBCs count is around 10,000 which is good. So any idea what other reasons  for these pustules, any deficency, does it relate to thal or not... i am so afraid that this pus will enter his circulation and cause infection in the blood ...is this possible???????????????

Thanks in advance

manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Pustules
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:17:46 AM »
Dear Manal,

Sorry to hear that Ahmad has these painful pustules :(

I don't think that they are likely to infect his blood.  Has his doctor tested the fluid from these bumps to see what type of bacteria is responsible?  Skin related issues are very common in childhood and I don't think that it suggests a weakness in the immune system.  Perhaps you can cleanse him with an antibiotic soap for a while so that the infection is cleared.  You can also use this soap for a week if a new spot begins to appear.  I also think that oral antibiotics along with topical antibiotics are a good idea so that the infection is properly cleared - I think that it is reappearing because the bacteria have not cleared. 

Please keep us posted on how he is doing and I hope that no more pustules appear,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 03:15:46 AM »
Thanks Sharmin for your reply :hugfriend

Today i was at the doctor for vaccinations and when he saw the one at his chin he said it will need an antibiotic for one week (Augmentin Syrup ). He told me that this bacteria is usually the streptococcus (spelling..) He told me that some persons have tendecy for these pustules and it could be for a certain while and then disappears. Hope it does soon

He also advised taking the Broncho -Vaxom as the hematologist said

take care

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 03:57:30 PM »
Manal,

I am really sorry to hear about Ahmed's problem,have you checked his hb recently? Do you feel that with infection and antibiotics hb can go low further?

Wishing him the best  :hugfriend

Zaini.

^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 12:29:36 AM »
Thanks Zaini :hugfriend

Yes i checked his Hb and it was the same ( 6.5 ) i was so afraid to find it lower cause he had two fevers the last months, but millions thanks to God. Usually i ask if the antibiotic the doctors prescrib cause any kind of hymolysis and their  answer is usually that people who has G6PD are the one's who worry about this especially antibiotics with sulfa.

I checked the growth and he is in the 25th percentile and finally the zinc level became normal after three months of deficency.

Now i am concentrating on getting all required vaccinations for him (especially the live ones) in case we will start the hydrea soon.

Some time i have a thought that may be the biological treatment he received (and by the way he has got another final course which i don't know whether to give it to him or not ) didn't refelect positivly on his HB, but had been of good use in other body parts like growth, bones, internal organs....I wonder if this could be right or not but the problem is that nothing can tell me or i can not measure the difference. It should have made something :huh :huh :huh especially that it had made wonders with my mum's rhumatoid

manal

Offline jade

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 02:53:16 PM »
Hi Manal

I am sorry to hear that Ahmed is not well. Do the pustules hurt?  Try to cut his nails short so that he does not rub it and spread the infection elsewhere. 
Hope he gets well soon.  Keep us informed.
Take care
Jade

Offline Manal

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 03:32:18 PM »
Thanks Jade for your concern :hugfriend

Actually they hurt just before the burst and the pus comes out. Before the burst, is the peak of the inflamation that is why it hurts. Since we started the antibiotic it has become much better and starting to dry, hope nothing else appears

take care

manal

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 04:07:12 PM »
To Ahmed :
I m realy sorry to hear about you buddy , you are in my prayers  and i hope that you will b al-right in very soon ...  lots of love and a big :bighug for you ...  Take CAre little Young man ,  :getwell

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Manal

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
Manay thanks Umair for your concern and wishes :hugfriend :hugfriend

manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 06:36:32 PM »
Manal,

I am not sure about this, but I wonder if tumeric and a tumeric paste may be helpful. 

Hope our little Ahmad gets over this very soon,

Much love to the little guy,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 01:42:47 AM »
Thanks Sharmin, i think this may really help. Now i am a fan of tumeric :biggrin. I remember that doing the paste was once explained but don't know where exactly. Do you have any idea how to prepare the paste??

manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 03:28:35 AM »
Hi Manal,

I don't know how to make the paste myself, but I have found Zaini's formula: 

For the paste you asked about,i didn't know myself as i never did it,i asked my sis in law about that and she told me that you take a spoon of turmeric powder,some oil to make a fine paste and add a pinch of salt,then apply it on the particular part of the body where you are feeling pain,(she said it's basically for muscle cramps) and rub it lightly untill the paste is gone and it leaves a yellow stain,don't wash it,cover it with some thing,something like soft fabric,don't expose that part under fan or any kind of cold and go to sleep,and you'll feel a lot better after that,do tell me if you ever try it coz i hav never tried it myself.

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2175.15

I hope that it helps,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 02:06:32 PM »
Hi Manal,

I hope Ahmed is much better now,did you try curcumin  paste? Do tell us if it helped or not.

Kisses for our little spider man  :hugfriend

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 01:53:58 AM »
Thanks Sharmin and Zaini for your replies and sorry for my late one cause here we have a network cable that was cut in the sea and the connection is very slow( took me four hours to be able to connect and send this post as priority is given to other organizarions in the country)

Anyway, i didn't have the chance to try it as it is gone now, thanks God but i wonder if the oil in the paste will increase it or not. If i got any myself in the future, i will try it myself first

Thanks my friends

manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk