Baby thalassemia patients and immunity - Andy what is your opinion?

• 6 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
If baby thalassemia patients are healthy otherwise and they have normal immune systems - I believe that it is very important to let them develop healthy immune systems early in life. 

During the first few years of life children can have 8 - 10 colds a year, they should play with dirt and come into contact with some germs.  These things help fine tune their immune system.  At the same time they should receive vital supplements and a very nutritious diet to help this process take place.  They should also be able to play with other children and have exposure to common germs and colds like other children. 

I believe this because thal children are often over protected and just as these restrictions prevent proper bone development, social and self esteem development - I believe it interferes with proper development of the immune system.  It may seem like the trade of in the early years is perhaps some drop in hemoglobin and a few extra transfusions but in the long run your child will benefit.  Also, a healthy immune system is required to deal with the oxidative effects of iron throughout life. 

This is how they will benefit - once they are of school age they may get fewer colds when they are exposed to other children.  They will be less likely to develop asthma, allergies and autoimmune illness (such as autoimmune hemolytic anemia AIHA) - which can have devastating effects for a child having thalassemia. 

In essence, if children get more colds when they are younger they may need a few extra transfusions early in life - but the tradeoff is that they may not far fewer when they are older because they will have developed healthy immune systems - immune systems which are neither over nor underactive.

I say this because my son grew up with adults, he did not get a single cold until 4 years of age and his immune system is very strong when it comes to colds and flu.  Can you imagine, when his entire school was hit with the norovirus he was the only child to recover in one day - the other kids were sick for a week or more.  But his immune system is very over active - which may have contributed to his production of autoantibodies and certain allergies. 

This is my theory - that very young thal patients (first few years of life) should not be over protected - they should be exposed to common colds, run, jump, play so that they can become strong.  They should receive healthy supplements, vitamin C (as required for particular patient), IP6, vitamin e, tumeric etc etc - they should have genotype testing to avoid exposure to problem causing antigens.  You want to fine tune their immune system to deal with thalassemia and iron - as well to avoid antibodies.

I don't know if this applies to older thal patients - because they probably won't benefit from all of this as their immune system is already developed.  In those cases it may be best to avoid exposure and take lots of supplements!!

Andy, do you agree with this?

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Baby thalassemia patients and immunity - Andy what is your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 11:01:57 PM »
Even adults will benefit from some exposure to whatever is going around, in terms of building immunities. In fact, one of the worst habits of modern man is the use of antibacterial soaps and cleansers, as they prevent the small exposures that build antibodies in one's system. Then when one is exposed to a cold or flu, it is far more likely that the illness will be caught because the system has no defenses in place against the illness. My former germaphobe employee was a prime example of this. He used antibacterial soap and cleanser constantly and was also the sickest person around, catching every cold that went around. The immune system develops by being exposed to small amounts of germs, so don't go too far in trying to prevent all exposure. Over-protectiveness is not good in any sense. Thals need to develop physically and emotionally just like everyone else.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 01:20:18 AM »
Totally agree :happyyes :happyyes :happyyes :happyyes

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 09:50:55 AM »
Totally makes sense,A great point  :yes

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »
WELL !!!.... :agree ....
its all about for wat you are training your body ... i was watching a documentary on national geographic channel , that was about martial art and that kind of stuff ... in that documentary they about two persons , one was expert to break concreate brick and other was a weight lifter or he had a record of pulling boieng 747 ( i dont remember exactly ) both of them was looking equaly strong, they said that : one who built and trained his body especialy to arms to break concreate bricks he cant pull plane if he will try to pull he can get harmed by his this act bcoze his body is not tuned for this ... and the same rule will aply on that other man as well he cant go to breake those bricks if he do then his arm could get a fracture ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

mean is that in which way u will tune your boddy your muscles your immune and other systems boddy will react in that way once it get's tuned ...
the people who live's in north pole  like cold area they survive's in a very cold area where the people of south who live's in a extremely hot climate , may not even spend a single day bcoze their body is not tuned for that cold weather .... like wat happened to me in this mid december when i went to attend the wedding of my cousin, after wedding ceremony, me n my family went to muree (HiLL station) as we planned, when we reach there :grin :grin i was having fever and vomiting bcoze of the bad smell of heaters of that banquit hall then in our Car those heater began's to spreading that bad smell again , which i real dont like  :puke .... :grin ( i have been like a probleme child everytime )

anywayz :
Good Point Sharmin  Sis ,  hope to hear more like this from you  ....
keep sharing the good ideas ... :idea

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 02:22:52 PM by nice friend »
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 01:41:28 PM »
Totally agree even i have discussed the same thing with my friends and they dont agreed to that. Actually i have seen kids growing in totally unhygenic environment (even playing in sewerage water) but when u look at those kids, they are the healthiest ones around. On the other hand, my cousin is so protective about her kids even we all are but most of the newborns in their first six months go through antibiotic treatments for one reason or another, and still end up sick every other week.

@umair nice examples dude
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »
@Tariq :
Thanx Bro :ty

Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk