Effect of L-carnitine on the physical fitness of thalassemic patients.

• 32 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Effect of L-carnitine on the physical fitness of thalassemic patients.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 07:13:26 AM »
Acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR) is a form of L-carnitine and can be used. As a supplement, acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR) may be better absorbed than carnitine.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/carnitine/

L-Carnitine Supplements

While bioavailability of L-carnitine from the diet is quite high (see Dietary L-Carnitine), absorption from oral L-carnitine supplements is considerably lower. Supplemental L-carnitine is mainly absorbed by passive diffusion (1). According to one study, bioavailability of L-carnitine from oral supplements (0.5-6 gram dosage) ranges from 14%-18% of the total dose (5). Less is known regarding the metabolism of the acetylated form of L-carnitine, acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR); however, bioavailability of ALCAR is thought to be higher than L-carnitine. The results of in vitro experiments suggest that ALCAR is partially hydrolyzed upon intestinal absorption (10). In humans, administration of 2 grams of ALCAR per day for 50 days increased plasma ALCAR levels by 43%, suggesting that some acetyl-L-carnitine is absorbed without hydrolysis or that L-carnitine is reacetylated in the enterocyte (5).

For some further updates about L-carnitine, see my next post, Lipoic acid and acetyl-carnitine reverse iron-induced oxidative stress.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »
Thalassemia majors do want to suppress the bone marrow, while non-transfusing intermedias do not, so this distinction should be made in the context of taking L-carntine.
Andy

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 01:11:37 PM »
Andy,

Do you think Little Z should be taking L-Carnitine? This thal major and thal intermedia thing you said got me a bit confused  :huh .

Is it correct that L-Carnitine is also used by body builders? If yes then it should be available here,,i'll have to search for it in the right places i guess.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 03:05:19 PM »
Maha

This is the rand i use (syrup)
http://www.mepaco-pharma.net/html/Get-trades.asp

As Andy said it will be okay for you to use what you have in Saudi Arabia
If you want to ask about anything else, let me know

Zaini

All the studies made on L-carnitne were done on thal major patients and was found to have many important benefits which where mentioned above. What i know is that it is given to thal major and intermedias here and on the basis of 5 days per week

Yes, body builders also use it as L-carnitine improves atheletic performance too that is why you will find that little Z will be little more active when she takes it

manal

Offline Dori

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 08:21:59 PM »
I found L-carnitine on my search, but I will not take it.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 08:27:36 PM »
Dore, I am curious why you said you won't take L-carnitine.
Andy

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 03:45:20 AM »
Me too  :huh

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 10:33:13 AM »
Dore, I am curious why you said you won't take L-carnitine.

I am sorry that I did not answer this last night. I checked my email from college and I was really upset plus angry.

Andy and Zaini, it is just a personal thought. I do not have any evidence. I got only my intuition. I just do not feel comfortable with the idea. I kow it sounds strange; ignore me ;)

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 02:05:32 PM »
Dear Dore,

You have every right to do what is comfortable for you.  Everyone here just thought that perhaps you have some reason that you are aware of and the rest of us are not - any information we share helps all of our members here.  Just as eveyone had wondered why I was breaking the exjade pills - and after some investigation I realized that it was best not to. 

Your input is very important and it is though our differing views that we are learning. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline tyson

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 12:09:37 AM »
Woulda L-carnitine  effect teh effectiveness of exjade? desferal etc?  my fertin is 1,400 doctor wants me to get a pick line and get an intreveinus desferal for a week or so.... then proceed with exjade my liver iron is 39 aparently thats too high?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 01:28:29 AM »
L-carnitine would not affect chelators. Why does the doctor want to use a PIC line for one week of desferal? Unless your veins are in bad shape, it seems an unnecessary intrusion. Your liver iron is high and 24/7 desferal is the answer, but IV would be preferrable for short term.
Andy

Offline tyson

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 04:21:53 AM »
My veins aret bad, cannula only last for 3 days or so. ive had 4 porta-caths in the past, 1st porta cath was a baby one since i was 2 so they replaced it with bigger ones.ever since the new ones they had either flipped,tube poped out of my skin on my neck and or infected. subcuts have scarred my for life and i refuse to move back to that stone age. ive had a desferal bottle through my port when i still had it, the desferal was one week on and one week off. then i moved to ferriprox but my dosage was 3 tablets 3 times a day and i always forget to take the mid day dose so that brought my ferritin up. i use to have a ferritin level of 200 a couple of years back.   well i most probably have a couple of 24/7 intreveinus spread out during the year hopfully that will help bring down my ferritin. since my ferritin is 1400 how many weeks of 24/7 chelation should bring it down to 500 or so.

sorry this is posted in the wong section of the forum i just got carried away.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 12:10:05 AM »
Hi  Tyson ,
 :welcomewagon to the family , i hope you wil find this community realy helping, caring and ecnouraging, as it is  ... feel free to ask or share anything you want to share ...i hope you will get a good response and answer of our concerns/questions,  its your own forum so dont hesitate to ask wat ever you wana know about ...

Best Regards
TAke Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »
Dear Manal,

is there any place I can find this study by dr. El Beshlawi? I told that to my hemo and she asked if I could pass her this study because she had read a study by dr.El Beshlawi that praised the advantages of L-Carnitine. According to my hemo, who has also studied the subject, carnitine lessens the intervals between transfusions as well as prolongs the survival of red cells.
She was surprised by what I told her about only 5 days a week and asked for this study, if there is one.

Lena.

Lena

During my visit this month to Dr. El Beshlawy, she told me that she did not yet have this study published but Dr. George Attwa has done the same study and his findings about the dosage were mentioned in the ASH (American Society of Hematology) in 2006.

I will search for this abstract and let you know

manal

Offline Raul

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 10:07:05 AM »
Hello...

I'm glad to hear the effects of L-carnitine to thal patients..but forgive me if i'm wrong,i tried to look for this supplement yesterday at the pharmacy but what i found out is L-carnitine is meant for weight loss supplement.furthermore,there's only one brand i found.can anyone suggest what brand should i look for?

Looking forward for your help!

Mel(mother to RAUL)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk