Becky Martino, Lisa's Friend

• 7 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Becky Martino, Lisa's Friend
« on: January 18, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »
I am sorry to report that Becky Martino, who was a close friend of Lisa, and a sickle cell patient, passed away the day after Christmas. Lisa talked often about Becky and how Becky was doing well on L1 imported from Switzerland at the time. Becky was a local patient, living near Rochester.

Our prayers go out to her family and friends.

:sorrow  :sorrow  :sorrow
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Becky Martino, Lisa's Friend
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »
May her soul rest in peace, my condolences to her family and friends
manal
 :sorrow :sorrow

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »
My condolences to Becky and her friends and family.  May her soul rest in peace. 
It is sad to hear of such a loss. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:05:33 AM »
I am really sorry to hear that,my sincere condolences to Becky's family and friends  :sorrow :sorrow :sorrow

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »
I m sorry to hear about becky's death , May God give becky's family strangth to bare this loss , .. :candle :sorrow :sorrow :sorrow
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 02:39:39 AM »
Andy, I wanted to make sure you knew about Becky Martino. I see that you did. Becky had thal-sickle cell. She had both together. In the last 4 years of her life, her and I became very close. She stayed with me after her hip surgery. Cooley's helped her alot financially through bingo monies. It was very sad she just fell over and died the day after Christmas, I believe she had a blood clot, because she was complaining of a pain in her leg that week and she said she might have a clot and would see the doctor after the holiday. I was so worried about her. Her and Lisa had the best sense of humor. Once in the hospital they were going to separate them because they were laughing too much. Well I guess they are making the angels laugh now. Thank you for all you do. The bingo is still going great, must of the money goes to NY for research.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 05:58:26 PM »
Hi Shirley,

It's sad to think about all who have been lost to these disorders. Even well managed patients can fall victim to things like blood clots and viral diseases. And even with today's choice of chelation drugs, it is not sufficient and patients who cannot tolerate these drugs still are dying before their time. We have just recently lost another thal who Lisa probably knew. Gargi Pahuja was very active in TAG, so I am sure Lisa knew her. Gargi died recently, and I know intolerance of chelators was a factor. We go on and try to help those still with us, in spite of the pain of our own personal losses. We could both have just given up after Lisa was gone, but we both know that Lisa wanted us to continue to help those affected by thalassemia. It isn't always easy, but I know Lisa is smiling down on us every day of our lives.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 06:41:43 PM »
Well said Andy, well said. And I'm sure Lisa is happy seeing us, love you Lisa, your legacy continues to bestow upon us and personally I will make sure that I can help anyone and everyone I could or can.

As a side note, 2009 has been very bad year for me as well, osteoporosis and diabetes made me what I am today and made my legs go weaker like anything and brittle as a small child. I was very active at sports and was kind of champion in badminton as well as always got into selections. When my diabetes came, I was managing it and soon after 2 months came osteoporosis, thereafter, a dead break on my badminton passion and career. Anyways, sorry, I got sunken back into past and went a little nostalgic.

Becky & Lisa, we do miss you! <3
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk