HOT versus COLD

• 4 Replies
HOT versus COLD
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »
Does anyone know how the low temperature and high temperature influence the thallasemic patients?
Where is better to live: in a country with low temperatures- Canada for example- or in a country with high temperatures- Egipt for example? and why?
How the body react at a big range of temperature - high during the summer and low during the winter?

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: HOT versus COLD
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:15:04 PM »
I have heard differing opinions on this.  Some thals complain about feeling cold while others always feel hot. 

I have also heard that more hemolysis occurs during the summer months - I don't know if this is due to the increased activity or due to the heat in the summer months.  I don't know if this a general trend or if it is simply the observation of certain patients.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:23:04 AM »
I don't know the science but i can tell you my experiences.

My Hg gets much better in winter season and so i am able to extend transfusion interval a bit in winter. But then again, winter in Pakistan and specially my city are mild winters. Summer is usually tough at my side and it can be easily notices that if you walk more or stay long in summer heat, you will feel exhausted and that sure is not good specially for thal. In winter i usually don't get tired easily.

But since you have mentioned Canada, i've heard that winters there are too chilly so maybe someone living there can explain how it is like to live in extreme cold conditions.
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:58:22 AM »
Ha, finally something that I know. I will try to find the sources. OK, your hgb drops faster by high temperatures. So there is more hemolysis. That is what lots of scientic researches says.

I must confess that I feel better during summers, but that can be only strange me. Maybe I get more vit D during summer and that makes me feel better?

Dore
p.s. Im sorry for my English of today

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:08:51 PM »
Thank you very much for information: Sharmin, T@r!Q, and Peatree Girl! I really appreciate your effort to answer at my question.
All the best,
akkro13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk