probably worth a try

• 11 Replies

Offline maha

probably worth a try
« on: February 21, 2009, 08:40:58 AM »
Sometime back a hema in India had asked us to give Hassan a mixture of 2tbs honey,1tbs aloevera and 1tsp of black seed oil (nigella) on an empty stomach. He has around 500 transfusing patients in his hosp which runs on govt subsidies and charity. The foll were his observation
Some of his CHELATING patients saw sf levels below 1000 for the first time.
Some saw an increase in the transfusion gap.
The volume of blood required reduced in a few.
And almost everyone had an improved spleen and liver.
We did try this on Hassan for a couple of months but stopped once we started Asunra, as the doc said to give this mixture half an after giving him Asunra. It`s a herculian task for giving Hassan something as sweet as honey and he gets very queasy. I was scared he might vomit his Asunra, and during the few months we did give it to him I did not see any significant improvement.
This time around when we called the doc he informed us that more of his patients have sf levels below 1000.
maha

Offline Lena

Re: probably worth a try
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 10:17:23 AM »
Ahlan Maha,

I am very sceptical about such mixtures. My opinion? I would not press little Hassan for something that I am not certain of its results. Proper chelation and supplements is always the answer.

Salam,
Lena.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:47:30 PM »
Maha

I also give my son aloe vera gel capsules every nw and then. Though they taste horrible, he loves them very much and when he squeezes the capsules he just says yummy as if he is eating candy :biggrin

In my opinion, this mixture would go under the category of good natural supplements

As for aloe vera,it was mentioned before that it increased Hb in rats and lowered blood glucose in diabits, but this study was done on rats. We have discussed all the beneficail properties of aloe vera in several links, but i would agree that it could be beneficial for thal

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2267.msg22952;highlight=aloe+vera#msg22952

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=831.0;highlight=aloe+vera

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=329.0

As for the black seed oil (nigella), they are good for the general health, especially liver and it is also said to have positive effect on hepatits C. It's oil improves asthma significantly
In one particular study in Munich, 600 allergy patients were given 500mg of black seed oil twice a day for 3 months.  A clear improvement was observed in 85% of the patients.  The oil can be mixed into any cold liquid or yogurt.

Nigella is also known for having

1. Nutritional value, Black seed is rich in nutritional values.

2. Immune system strengthening

3. Anti-histamine activity

4. Anti-tumor principles

5. Anti-bacterial

6. Anti-inflammatory

7. Promotes lactation

8. Black seed contains Arginine which is essential for infant growth.

Black seed contains over 100 valuable nutrients.  It contains about 21% protein, 38% carbohydrates and 35% plant fats and oils.  The contents are similar to evening primrose oil, but because of its complex composition, it is much stronger.   The active ingredients of black seed are Thymoquinone, Nigellone, and Fixed oils. it also contains in significant proportions protein, Carbohydrates and Essential fatty acids.  Other ingredients include Linoleic acid, Oleic acid, Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Zinc, Magnesium, Selenium, Vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin B2,Niacin, and Vitamin C.

I really can not find how much is the iron content in the seeds to determine whether they are high or just negligibe but i so interested to know so i will keep searching

Hope this helps
manal

Offline maha

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 03:38:41 PM »
Hi Manal
When the doc asked me to give Hassan the mixture, the benefits of aloe and black seed were already discussed here, so I just went ahead with it. For a few days I mixed 1 tsp of blackseed oil with honey and aloe, but soon I reduced it to half a tsp as Hassan was passing stools too frequently(3 times ). The doc did say that black seed oil softens the stools and that was why honey was added to bind the stools. He told us to try and add more honey instead, but HONEY and Hassan ,not made for each other :biggrin.
Whenever we call him for a prescription of Asunra, he keeps telling us to give this mixture half an hour after giving him Asunra and then wait for another 15 minutes before giving anything else to eat. He also advised us to give him osteo calcium (must be something similar to osteocare available in India) in the evening.

Manal ,I have not seen aloe sofgels here. Hassan too would love it. I give him vit E sofgels and he loves it. He actually chews them and always asks for more vitimeeen eee.

take care
maha

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:30:54 PM »
Is it ok to chew soft gels?

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »
If it's a natural product like vitamin E or aloe, softgels are safe to chew. However, aloe is quite bitter so most people probably won't want to chew the caps.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:09:20 PM »
Maha

The aloe vera that i use are from Puritan Pride

Andy
what you said about the bitterness is true cause i tried them, but luckly ahamd just loves the taste :dunno

manal

Offline maha

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 02:52:06 PM »
Andy, is it Ok to chew folic acid. Thats the only way Hassan can take it, I do give him a little water after he has finished it though.

maha

Offline Manal

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
Maha

The hematologist has told me that there is no problem of chewing them and we have been doing this for the past two years

But once a dentist has told me that this will decay the teeth may be because it is an ''acid'' so from that time i used to make sure that nothing remains in his teeth

manal

Offline maha

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 05:02:40 AM »
Hi Manal
It never crossed my mind that it could harm the teeth. From now on I too am going to make sure that nothing remains in his mouth.
thankyou :hugfriend
maha

Offline Dori

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »
Hello, I have a few questions:
Firstly where do you buy this? (So far I have not found a really good dutch webshop)
Secondly, were there no other topics about this?
Thirdly, do you have to use nigella as oil or can you also use the seeds?
4th in which combination does you use it
5th will a kidney patient (dialysis) benefit from it? An oil won't be really smart because it contain also salts..
Does anyone has any thought? Thank you for your help
Dori
PS I got a box of seeds at my night table. Rarely use it...

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 11:19:55 AM »
Dore,

Puritan does ship worldwide.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk