Update on Nigella (Black onion seed, cumin seed) and Hepatitis

• 112 Replies

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: Update on Nigella (Black onion seed, cumin seed) and Hepatitis
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2009, 05:09:34 PM »
I also started Nigella with Little Z today,i didn't grind it,she swallowed it whole,and then took a teaspoon of honey over it.

I hope Little Mr A's hb will be fine,and i hope that Little Miss A will feel fine soon :) .

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Hi Zaini,

I hope that our kids have good luck with the Nigella.  I think that they will.  Little A's hg was 100 today.  I am very grateful because he has been sick and we decided not to send him to school because he is quite miserable.   Thank god for the advice on this site that Little A is doing well because antibody issues can really get out of hand and we have been really lucky to have a handle over them (at least for now). 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2009, 11:01:55 PM »
Sharmin, Canadian family

I wish a speedy recovery to Mr. A. and Miss A, wish that this will be the end of it.

Ask your doctor about the Broncho-vaxom tablets, they are supposed to give some sort of immunity towards chest infections, flu,..I am givng them to my son and hope they work well. It is a course of 10 capsules given in 10 days for 4 months. Next month, will be our fourth and last month

manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Nigella, Colostrum antibodies - update
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2009, 06:06:33 PM »
My son has been using 1/4 tsp nigella and colostrum for two weeks now.  At almost two weeks post his hg is 118, which is pretty good considering that the effects of ritux are wearing off and his normal antibodies (antibodies he should have) are returning to their normal levels.  After the drop he experiences a month ago I thought that the antibodies were creeping up quickly, but I think that the combination of having dna matched blood, and adding these new supplements seems to be helping him.  I think that adding more vitamin D will help too. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2009, 07:29:17 PM »
I forgot to mention that I started my daughter on colostrum 2 weeks ago too - today I started giving her nigella - I gave her less than 1/4 tsp and then I gave her honey and a touch of aloe vera.  She does not have thal at all - but I have been concerned about her nails being dry and flaky so I hope that this helps her.  I will let you know how she is doing. 

My vitamin D levels were very low last year, little A's are low so perhaps my daughter's are low too - I should have them checked as well. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2009, 01:53:59 AM »
  My vitamin D levels were very low last year, little A's are low so perhaps my daughter's are low too - I should have them checked as well. 

:huh :huh Some times its hard to keep track of everything,i have never checked my D levels,which i assume would be low :( .

Zaini.

^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2009, 02:51:19 AM »
Hi Zaini,

I think that we are prone to vitamin D deficiency here because of the weather.  Being of East Indian decent - we need to be in the sunlight a lot more to get the necessary vitamin D that we need - because the melanin in our skin blocks a lot of it. 

I think that being in Pakistan you probably get a lot more sunlight than we do here.  It is a good idea to get your levels checked anyway - just in case.  I think that it would be good to make sure that little Z is not deficient because vitamin D deficiency makes people more prone to autoimmune problems. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline SF

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2009, 05:48:42 AM »
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, just joined. I live in California, USA. I took a look at a few threads on this forum and then joined in. This one thread especially caught my interest! I can't believe I didn't know all this about the Nigella (black cumin seeds). I actually have Hep C and have enlarged spleen also. I would never want to undergo Splenectomy (I have not been told that I need it, but just a thought). I have been advised by hepatologist to consider starting on meds for Hep C treatment (injection). I get nervous when I hear about the side effects. I'm so thankful of knowing that people like Ambareen and Umair have been able to cure some of the complications I'm facing by just taking Nigella (Kalongi) wtih honey. Just in between reading these threads, I have already started on about 11 whole seeds of Nigella (as it's sitting in our kitchen already) with water, but 11 seeds were more like a 1/4th of a tsp. I took it about 40 mins ago, and I have been feeling some burning sensation ever since I took it. I wonder if that's normal?

I plan on making the mix as Ambareen did. I really hope to get rid of my HepC through usage of Nigella. I have never gotten a liver biopsy done on me. There are two methods of doing it (Intravenously through a vein in the neck directly going to liver, or through a special needle from the skin around the ribs). I have some extramodullary hematophoresis (external bone marrow bodies) and I was wondering which method would be safer (if it makes a difference at all)? I would especially appreciate Andy's comment on this. I have been recommended by both Hem and Hepatologist to get one for multiple reasons (to check on damage from HepC and measure of iron overload). I have gotten T2* done twice before and still biopsy is recommended to see if any damage is done to the liver tissue.

Is it okay to take Colostrum while taking Desferal? Does Colostrum Sharmin you bought also contains the natural ingredient that helps in removing the extra iron from the body? I don't take any Vit C (I drink orange juice, though) or any other supplements. Any suggestions to what's normally taken by all thal majors? and the brand name of more natural source of these vitamins & minerals would be appreciated.

I will continue to browse through but I think it'll take me forever to get through everything here. I'm so thankful to have found such forum. I have not been part of any forum before this, but this one really got my interest. Thanks everyone for posting really useful information and experiences here!

Regards,
SF

Offline Zaini

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2009, 11:34:13 AM »
Hello SF,

Good luck with nigella,there is one more thing which can help you in hep,its milk thistle,you may have heard about it.

There are so many supplements that can help in maintaining your over all health,Please check out Diet,nutrition and supplements section.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2009, 11:46:49 AM »
1/2 tsp of seeds in 1 tbs of hone

tsp = teaspoon
tbs = ?

:dunno

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2009, 11:53:40 AM »
tbs = table spoon  :smiley

if i am not wrong 1 tbs = approx 15ml of liquid
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2009, 02:31:28 PM »
Tariq, I always hear this but everytime i measure any table spoon, i find it only 10ml.  :huh :huh

manal

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2009, 04:48:24 PM »
well thats what wiki says
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablespoon

It so happens that tablespoons do come with different depths which hold more/less liquid based on their containing depth.
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2009, 05:51:25 PM »
Hi SF and welcome to our group,

Where are you being treated? California is home to two of the Comprehensive Care Centers (Oakland and LA), and the best care is available there. With that said, I am sure that even those doctors would recommend interferon/ribavrin treatment for hepatitis. However, I know far too many patients who have tried this treatment, only to find that the treatment's side effects were too harsh to continue (Lisa, our founder, was in this group who could not handle the side effects), or that the treatment flat out did not work (Poirot). On the other hand, I know many patients around the world that have kept hepatitis under control with natural methods, with milk thistle and nigella being the main herbs used in this treatment. Both are common herbs. Nigella is commonly used in cooking (I've been using nigella seeds in soup instead of various masala mixtures-yes, I am an American and use these spices...LOL...and no, I don't use nigella for its medicinal value...it just tastes really good!) Did your stomach quiet down? I can't see any reason it would make you feel a burning (acid?) feeling, as it is a commonly used spice. I would not recommend taking it on an empty stomach though, as most any herb is concentrated enough that it isn't something to take by itself. Did you mix it with honey? And a side note for people wanting to use nigella. Try it as a spice. You get both its medicinal value and it is a great spice. I am so glad to have learned about it, thanks to Ambareen. If you use it as a spice, you can skip taking it separately for that day, too.

Milk thistle has a long standing history of use in hepatitis. I know at least 3 Aussies who have used it to keep hepatitis in check and they have done well. Our member, Aston Dialo, uses it and his hep has been under control for years. It is an extremely mild herb with its only known side effect being that of a mild laxative, which for most iron overloaded people, is a blessing, as iron causes constipation. Milk thistle is easily available in the US from numerous vitamin and herb companies. I am biased towards Puritan because they have great quality products at very good prices. You can see milk thistle at this link. http://www.puritan.com/herbal-supplements-005/milk-thistle-250-mg-004548
Now, your doctors may scoff at herbal treatments, but I do actually know far more patients who have had success with the herbal route than who have succeeded using interferon and they also avoid the horrible side effects of interferon. I would give this a good try before doing anything else, imcluding an invasive liver biopsy. Yes biopsy is usually safe, but again I am biased, as a friend of mine was one of those who are that minimal one per cent statistic, where complications arose after a liver biopsy. His liver biopsy unleashed an embolism (blood clot) which killed him the next day. He was only 30. I know the risk is low and many patients have no pain (many do) but unless absolutely necessary, any invasive procedure should be avoided, as there is always a small risk.

Colostrum may have some promise as an immune system booster, which would be good as you battle hepatitis. It is safe to use with everything. It is the most natural food, as it comes from mother's milk.

There is a complicating factor with hepatitis in thalassemics and that is iron overload. Iron deposits decrease liver function, so when battling hepatitis, you must also battle iron overload. If your iron levels are high, you need to make a commitment to aggressive chelation. No herb or drug can work as well as it should if your liver does not function well, so removing iron has to be part of the battle. Our member dallaschick, who is also originally from Pakistan and now in Texas, slacked on chelation and found herself in the ICU with congestive heart failure. Using a combination of desferal and Exjade, she was able to reverse this and is now doing quite well. Although this is not officially approved, I do know a few people who have used this combination with no adverse affects, and with a good effect on lowering their iron levels. One other aspect of this is that even when iron levels are too high, you can offer your organs some protection by using antioxidants like IP6 and vitamin E. They do help to protect your cells from iron oxidation and the related damage. Sharmin's son is our poster boy for the positive effects of antioxidants and the use of these antioxidants in her son has been credited by none other than Oakland's Dr Eliot Vichinsky (in my opinion, THE top thal doctor in the world) as having protected her son even in the face of weekly transfusions brought on by an autoantibody issue.

Please continue to read through the appropriate threads on this site. There is much information that can help you lead a healthy life. Using natural methods to improve one's health is very important for thalassemics, as thals are deficient in almost all the major vitamins and minerals and do need to supplement to counter this. This isn't the same as it is for non-thals. As a non-thal I do feel that supplements greatly improve my health, but thals have serious deficiencies that cannot be corrected by diet alone. This is a fact. Dy Vichinsky is a leader in the research that has shown the importance of supplementation and has incorporated it as part of the comprehensive care guidelines that the comprehensive centers are supposed to be following. Some other vitamins to consider are vitamin D (maybe the most important of all) and magnesium. Magnesium is far more important than recognized and if you are taking calcium, you should also be taking both vitamin D and magnesium. Magnesium deficiency may be implicated in the development of gallstones and also lead to higher ALT results, which sometimes leads doctors to believe that hepatitis is at fault when in fact it is the gallbladder. Magnesium is needed for the walls of the red blood cells and deficiency may lead to their premature destruction.

If you are willing to make an ongoing commitment to chelation and supplements, I do believe you can avoid many problems associated with thal and also correct problems you already have. We are here to do what we can and frankly, we are proving to be far more helpful than most of the thal organizations on earth. Much of that may be due to my background in political science which has led me to avoid the many pitfalls that orgs encounter, as I learned early on, that formal organization attracts those who are obsessed with organization and rules and procedures, and to me, it's a pile. We forget that waste of time and just get down to the real matter of helping people who need help. It's what this group is all about and it is the true legacy that Lisa left us.

Please continue to ask every question that comes to mind.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dori

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2009, 05:53:31 PM »
They probably use a spoon for big mouths  :crazy
I have never measure the liquid of a spoon. We got breakfast and dinner spoons, but I am the only one who sometimes use the breakfast ones.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk