Update on Nigella (Black onion seed, cumin seed) and Hepatitis

• 112 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Update on Nigella (Black onion seed, cumin seed) and Hepatitis
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2009, 05:32:25 AM »
Nigella has no known toxicity level. It is extremely safe to take. But, you should also understand some important facts about Nigella.

There is no need to take Nigella on an empty stomach. In fact, by doing so, you are eliminating one of its proven effects. This is extremely important to diabetics.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T8D-4TY45GJ-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=041caf9e2ed225fa9758602bb8c949e0

Results

The aqueous extract of Nigella sativa (0.1 pg/ml to 100 ng/ml) exerted dose-dependent inhibition of sodium-dependent glucose transport across isolated rat jejunum. Maximal inhibition exceeded 80% and IC50 was close to 10 pg/ml. An oral glucose tolerance test was carried out in rats after the initial dose and after a 6-week treatment of Nigella sativa (2 g/(kg day)), and compared to metformin (300 mg/(kg day)). Chronic Nigella sativa treatment improved glucose tolerance as efficiently as metformin. Nigella sativa and metformin also reduced body weight without any toxic effect.
Conclusions

To our knowledge, this is the first demonstration that Nigella sativa directly inhibits the electrogenic intestinal absorption of glucose in vitro. Together with the observed improvement of glucose tolerance and body weight in rats after chronic oral administration in vivo, these effects further validate the traditional use of Nigella sativa seeds against diabetes.

If you take Nigella on an empty stomach, it won't do much good for the purpose of inhibiting glucose absorption in the stomach. Obviously, Nigella will do much better for diabetics if taken with food.  :food

As far as taking Nigella with Exjade, think about what Nigella does for hepatitis patients. It lowers the liver enzyme levels. This is exactly what is often needed with patients on Exjade. You want to keep your liver enzymes in check while using Exjade because if they get high, you have to stop Exjade.

In a study concerning the effect of Nigella on liver surgery patients, not only was it found that in prevented damage to the liver that is common after this type of surgery, but also that patients using Nigella had much lower levels of liver enzymes.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/122247.php

In this experimental study rats underwent hepatic ischemia for 45 min followed by 60 min period of reperfusion. Rats were intraperitoneally infused with only 0.9% saline solution in the control group. Rats in the treatment group received NS[Nigella sativa] (0.2 mL/kg) intraperitoneally, before ischemia and before reperfusion. Blood samples and liver tissues were harvested from the rats, and then the rats were sacrificed. Serum aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) levels were determined. Total antioxidant capacity (TAC), catalase (CAT), total oxidative status (TOS), oxidative stress index (OSI) and myeloperoxidase (MPO) in hepatic tissue were measured. Also, liver tissue histopathology was evaluated by light microscope.

The levels of liver enzymes in the treatment group were significantly lower than those in the control group (P < 0.01). TAC in liver tissue was significantly higher in the treatment group than in the control group (P < 0.05 and P < 0.05, respectively).
TOS, OSI and MPO in hepatic tissue were significantly lower in the group 3 than the group 2 (P < 0.05 for all). Histological tissue damage was milder in the Nigella sativa treatment group than that in the control group. These results suggest that NS treatment protects the rat liver against to hepatic ischemia-reperfusion injury.

Nigella sativa has no side effects.

I would propose that Nigella will have an overall positive and protective effect in patients using ALL chelation drugs, and especially in Exjade users.

Nigella is also beneficial to the overall immune system and is an immunomodulator. A review of the medicinal properties of Nigella can be seen at
http://www.scialert.net/pdfs/pjbs/2004/441-451.pdf

From the amount of patent applications that can be found online, dealing with the pharmaceutical use of Nigella, I would have to say that this is has been known for centuries. Nigella is a very important medicinal herb. Modern research has given much support to the statement "There is a cure for all diseases in Black Seed except death."

On the subject of taking things on an empty stomach. There are very few things that have to be taken on an empty stomach and since there are very few empty stomachs during the course of a day, these times should be reserved for things like Exjade and IP6. There is no need to make things more difficult by arbitrarily assigning a policy of "take on an empty stomach." Take Nigella with food. Take it in your food. For best results, either grind the seeds or fry in a dry pan just long enough for the seeds to pop and then use them as a spice. I love it in my tomato soup.  :food

And one more thing. It has been proven that Nigella raises hemoglobin levels. This is what Ambareen experienced. Her gap between transfusions became longer by using Nigella.

Nigella is proving to be a very important part of the supplement routine for thals. I would recommend it to all (not just thals).
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2009, 05:50:42 PM »
dear Andy,
               i cannot tolerate taking black seed as powder. i take it as oil. is this allright?

Mohamed

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2009, 05:57:31 PM »
Mohamed,

The oil is actually even more effective. It is what is used in most of the studies. It's an excellent way to use Nigella.
Andy

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2009, 05:59:50 PM »
Andy,

I totally agree with you,i think nigella has a positive effect over all,the increase in Z's transfusion intervals ,i think is the result of all the supplements she is taking,along with carao and nigella,i take nigella too,i didn't know about its effect of working as metformin,i think i'll increase my dose to half a tea spoon.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2009, 12:15:32 AM »
Mohamed

Since you are using the oil, i recommend that you use the brand of El Shourouk that you will find in Karama in midan el Ismalia/heliopolis. It is very pure and trusted brand

manal

« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2009, 05:26:47 AM »
thanks Andy and Manal. :wink

Offline Dori

« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2009, 05:37:52 PM »
I just realize I took Nigella (plus honey) only once!
I wanted to take Nigella in evening and I do take Exjade in morning...

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2013, 03:56:04 AM »
Hi all

I know this is kind of an old post but I would like to ask things on nigella / black seed oil.

My cousin bought a bottle of black seed oil from Saudi Arabia. Just wanted to know if all black see oil can be eat/drink - or some are used for external only? Even though I'm a Muslim, we in Malaysia don't really understand Arabic. Hope there are people in these forum from the Middle East who can asnwer this.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Julia

Offline maha

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2013, 05:46:40 AM »
Hi
I reside in saudi and you get two kinds here, one that can be applied only externally and the other which can be swallowed as well as applied. The one that comes in the white packing is the one that is applied externally. Theres nothing mentioned on the bottle other than makkan oil and alcohol free.The other one that can be swallowed has a lot of information like cold pressed, no cholestrol etc...When you go to the shops they ask us if we want to apply or drink it and thats how I know about it. The one for external application is a lot more expensive than the other one. If you are still in doubt you could give more details about the brand you have I could try and find out about it.
maha

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2013, 07:26:01 AM »
I would too like to consume this.

But unfortunately, there is nowhere such thing available in India or here as far as I know.

Anyone knows how could I get one or any online site where I can order which ships to India?

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
Pratik,

You can use the seed itself. It's simple to use and easily available in India.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
Pratik,

You can use the seed itself. It's simple to use and easily available in India.
By what name should I go on purchasing it? Black seed? I don't know if anyone knows it here, I'll try though.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2013, 01:06:21 AM »
Common names besides nigella are Black seeds, Black cumin, fennel flower, black caraway, nutmeg flower, Roman coriander, black onion seed, kalonji. Do you recognize any of the names?

Ambareen advised taking 1/2 teaspoon, put them in a dry pan on the stove and heat briefly until the seeds start to make a little popping sound. Grind the seeds and mix with one tablespoon of honey and eat.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2013, 06:22:34 AM »
Common names besides nigella are Black seeds, Black cumin, fennel flower, black caraway, nutmeg flower, Roman coriander, black onion seed, kalonji. Do you recognize any of the names?

Ambareen advised taking 1/2 teaspoon, put them in a dry pan on the stove and heat briefly until the seeds start to make a little popping sound. Grind the seeds and mix with one tablespoon of honey and eat.
Do any of these resemble to "Flex seeds"? Because I've them and they are black, same appearance as black seed one can describe. I'll try getting those somehow. Already have ordered milk thistle previously.

I've been also taking "Liv. 52" by Himalaya with suspicious eyes (I don't have much trust but my dad advises me to take). Have you have any opinions on it's goodness?

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Ambareen

• Treat others the way you wanna be treated
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2013, 11:37:18 AM »
It's not cumin seed, it's only called black seed or kalonji in Hindi or habbey sauda in Arabic.. You just have to grind it and mix it honey and have it just less than half a tsp.. No pan frying deeded
Ambareen... :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk