Phytic Acid (IP6) Improves Bone Mineral Density

• 9 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Phytic Acid (IP6) Improves Bone Mineral Density
« on: February 24, 2009, 03:12:52 AM »
Contrary to what have basically been assumptions about phytic acid (IP6), this study showed that those with low dietary consumption of phytic acid had lower bone mineral density than those who have high phytic acid consumption. Phytic acid is found in the bran of grains and has been the subject of much misinformation over the years, much of this information based on observations of feeding chickens. This study concluded that low phytic acid intake is a risk factor for osteoporosis. This is the exact opposite of what many have previously thought, even though no study ever showed any connection between high phytic acid intake and osteo. Now the opposite has been observed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19053869?ordinalpos=3&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Phytate (myo-inositol hexaphosphate) and risk factors for osteoporosis.
López-González AA, Grases F, Roca P, Mari B, Vicente-Herrero MT, Costa-Bauzá A.

Servicio de Prevención de Riesgos Laborales, Gestión Sanitaria de Mallorca, Palma de Mallorca, Spain.

Several risk factors seem to play a role in the development of osteoporosis. Phytate is a naturally occurring compound that is ingested in significant amounts by those with diets rich in whole grains. The aim of this study was to evaluate phytate consumption as a risk factor in osteoporosis. In a first group of 1,473 volunteer subjects, bone mineral density was determined by means of dual radiological absorptiometry in the calcaneus. In a second group of 433 subjects (used for validation of results obtained for the first group), bone mineral density was determined in the lumbar column and the neck of the femur. Subjects were individually interviewed about selected osteoporosis risk factors. Dietary information related to phytate consumption was acquired by questionnaires conducted on two different occasions, the second between 2 and 3 months after performing the first one. One-way analysis of variance or Student's t test was used to determine statistical differences between groups. Bone mineral density increased with increasing phytate consumption. Multivariate linear regression analysis indicated that body weight and low phytate consumption were the risk factors with greatest influence on bone mineral density. Phytate consumption had a protective effect against osteoporosis, suggesting that low phytate consumption should be considered an osteoporosis risk factor.

IP6 can chelate loose minerals in the body but these loose minerals are a negative and IP6 can reduce them.

http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1328034

Re: O/T Phytic Acid in whole grains - does it lead to loss of minerals??

Simple answer NO,

There is a simple, economical and effective way of ridding the body of all of these undesirable organisms, debris and metals with advancing age --- IP6 rice bran extract.

IP6 is inositol hexaphosphate (also called phytic acid), which is found in every cell of the human body, is one molecule of inositol and six of phosphate and is found naturally in whole grains (bran), seeds and nuts. IP6 is known as nature’s master mineral chelator (remover).

IP6 is another of the many natural molecules that both conventional and alternative health practitioners continue to overlook. Researchers from around the world indicate they are searching for metal chelating agents to prevent or treat disease but fail to employ IP6 rice bran extract which is safe and economical. Conventional medicine’s narrow use of patented drugs rather than natural remedies blinds many health practitioners from the use of natural remedies such as IP6.

IP6, extracted from rice bran, is available as a dietary supplement and natural chelator of metals from living tissues. As a dietary supplement, IP6 is documented as a cleanser of arteries, the heart, brain, kidneys, liver, gall bladder (stones), and many other tissues. Here is the evidence for your review.

IP6 cleanses heavy metals
IP6 attaches to heavy metals such as mercury, lead and cadmium, as well as loose iron, copper and calcium. [J Agriculture Food Chemistry 47: 4714-17, 999] IP6 is a selective chelator -- it does not attach to potassium, sodium or magnesium, important electrolyte minerals required for heart rhythm. IP6 does not remove calcium from bones or iron from red blood cells. Once chelated (attached), these excess minerals are excreted via the urinary tract. [Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 35:495-508, 1995]

IP6 is also a good source of phosphorus. The only concern I would have is with zinc and one of the oldest pieces of advice for thals is that zinc must be supplemented, so this should not be a factor for anyone who has already been taking zinc. Chelators remove zinc and it must be replaced.

This is why I am not fond of sources like Wikipedia. They repeat commonly held beliefs that are not true. Wikipedia will tell you that phytic acid is a mineral chelator and calls it an anti-nutrient. This is old information founded on assumption and is not true. It does not differentiate between free minerals like free iron, and minerals bound into bone. It reminds me of all the thalassemia articles one can find online that tell you thals die by age 20. Incorrect information is repeated as fact over and over, even though correct information can be found.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: Phytic Acid (IP6) Improves Bone Mineral Density
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 03:21:11 AM »
Thanks for the info Andy,Little Z is using IP6 and she is also taking osteocare which contain zinc 5 mg,is 5 mg zinc enough? For 8 years old.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:51:07 AM »
5 mg zinc daily is not enough for a thalassemic. The recommended daily dose of zinc for a child her age is 10 mg. This is not high enough for a thalassemic. Zinc is highly suspected as the root cause of osteoporosis in thals. A study from 1986 showed that thals grew more when given zinc supplements.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/112699354/abstract

Effects of zinc supplementation on linear growth in beta-thalassemia (A new approach)
A. Arcasoy, MD *, A. Çavdar, . Cin, J. Erten, E. Babacan, S. Gözdasoglu, N. Akar
Zinc Deficiency and Treatment Research Unit (TUBITAK), Department of Pediatrics, University of Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

*Correspondence to A. Arcasoy, Asagi Ayranci, Kibris Sok 10/5, Kavaklidere, Ankara, Turkey

Keywords
growth response • zinc treatment • thalassemic

Abstract
Linear growth was evaluated in 32 patients with beta-thalassemia major. At the beginning of the study of 40.6% of the patients were below the 10th percentile with biochemical evidence of zinc deficiency. Effects of zinc supplementation on growth velocity (height) were assessed in a controlled manner. Twenty-one children received oral zinc sulphate for a period of 1 to 7 years (15 early- and 6 late-supplemented cases), while the remaining 11 thalassemics were maintained only on conventional transfusion therapy. The mean height velocity of early-zinc supplemented children was significantly greater than that of normal children (P < 0.01). An increase in height was also observed in the patients who received delayed zinc retardation. The present study demonstrated that zinc deficiency is one of the factors responsible for retarded linear growth in beta-thalassemia major. Only the patients who received zinc supplementation showed an acceleration of growth in height. Administration of zinc could, therefore, be considered as an effective adjuvant therapy in homozygous betathalassemia.

A study currently taking place through CHORI is using 25 mg zinc daily in a study of zinc and bone health.
http://www.chori.org/Clinical_Studies/Thalassemia/TCRN_Think_Zinc.html

For years I have been told that thals should take 20-25 mg zinc daily. I have a recurring battle with zinc deficiency (mostly because I forget to take the little pill) and the first sign is in my nails. Thin, cracking nails that get flat spots or get bowed are early signs of deficiency.
Andy

Offline Lena

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 06:07:07 AM »
Andy,

We are not given IP-6 at all here. I tried to find which supplement contains phytic acid here but I didn't find anything. Is there any chance you know which supplement in the European markets contain phytic acid? Under which brand name?

Thank you,
Lena.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 07:12:36 AM »
Inositol Hexaphosphate, Phytate, phytic acid, IP6, fytic acid, phytin, are all names for IP6. You may find it available under one of these names.
Andy

Offline Zaini

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 09:22:09 AM »
Thanks for the info Andy,i'll increase her dose of Zinc by resuming the Zinc syrup she was taking previously.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »
Hi Andy ,
is 20-25mg of zinc is enough for adult thals ?? or they a little more ??..
can you tell me, i m taking OsteoCare 1 Tab Twice a day that has per two tablet contains :
Calcium 800mg, Magnessium 300mg, Zinc 10mg, Vitmain-d (as D3 200IU) 5microgram natural source ..... and Vitamin-E (Natural) 400-600 daily... and that's all ....

1) how much zinc, Calicum, Magnessium and Vit-D i can consume daily by taking suplements ?? ( dosage details ) ....
2) Can you tell me which vitamins & mineral supllements i have to take more ???...

Umair

Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Zaini

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »
Umair,

Start taking Zincat,it will cover your Zinc requirement,i am going to do the same with Little Z.
Green tea and turmeric both are easily available and are very good antioxidants,start using them.B-Complex is another good family of vitamins.Try to find L-Carnitine,it must be available here as it is used by body builders too.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 01:43:18 PM »
Hi Zaini :
i was on zincat 1 teaspoon ( 1 teaspoon = per 5ml contain's elemental zinc sulphate 10 mg ) previously , i was on 1 teaspoon twice a day ( and few drops more bcoze that is very tasty :p) , but when then i showed osteocare to my doc she said its good as it has a few more good thing , she prescripted me osteocare, but not prescripted zincat anymore, i dont remember exactly wat her answer was when i asked to contineu zincat with osteocare, bcoze osteocare has 10mg ( per two tablets contain) which is 67% of RDA ( Recommended daily Allowance ) , but i remember that she never prescripted zincat again , now i m planing to ask in my next visit about zincat again , i will ask her if i can take zincat 1 tablespoon once a day and osteocare 1 tablet twice a day to manage zinc's  RDA  ....

Zincat     = 1 teaspoon ( per 5ml contains 10mg Zinc sulphate )
Ostecare = 1 tab twice a day ( per two tabs contain's 10mg of zinc sulphate

soo i think i can take 1 tablespoon of zincat syrup and 1 tab of osteocare twice a day to manage my daily consumption of zinc between 20-25 mg ,.... is not it right ??.... :grin

As for Green Tea i love to drink green tea especialy the Mint Flavour ,...
 and turmeric  i dont know why my parents are not allowing me to intake the turmeric by mixing it in my milk ???  :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno ..... welll i will m keep asking for that untill my parents satisfy to me or i satisfy to my parents :grin :grin :grin ....

Vit-B my doc prescripted me Surbex-T (High potency Vit-B complex with Vitamin-C ) in my last visit
but only when i wear pump :( ....

i also asked her about L-Carnitine & Hydroxy but my doc refused both  , i dont know why , but she must be right on it as well as she remember my history ( since i was on wheel chair :wink )

Best Regards For Little Z May God bless her with Good health and Exjade suit her ...
Take Care
Umair

Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Zaini

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »
Umair,

Yes you should maintain your zinc dose between 20-25 mg.

There is no reason to refuse L-Carnitine as its an antioxidant,i am searching for it .

There is no reason for you to use Hydroxyurea as you are already transfusing,its for non transfusing intermedia patients.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk