Fifth disease

• 30 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Fifth disease
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 04:59:18 PM »
Thank you all  :hugfriend  I am also glad that little A is safe.

We took Andy's advice and decided to not have the sleepover last night.  As Andy mentioned, little A has had issues with hemolysis when he has been sick, he has had rituximab etc. so it is probably best to avoid something like this in the first place.  We also take comfort in the fact that he has had ivig so we are not too concerned in case he had exposure - because as Andy said he is probably in the clear even if he is exposed.  And Zaini, you are right - I should keep an eye on my daughter in case she gets sick from it.  Manal and Dore thank you for your support  :hugfriend 

Andy, the ped told us that Little A will begin his rituximab again within a week even though his hg is good - just to make sure that problems do not take place before we give him the rituximab. 

Thanks again all  :hugfriend :hugfriend

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »
Manal,

As I mentioned - you may wish to ask you doctor about fifth disease because our doc said that intermedias can run into trouble with it because it would cause transient aplastic anemia and in that case a transfusion and ivig would be required.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 06:42:08 PM »
Andy,

Do you know of other viruses that are particularly risky to patients having anemia - such as fifth disease?  Perhaps we can list them so that patients know to avoid them or seek medical advise if they contract them.  I did not know of this connection in the past. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 07:11:05 PM »
The parvoviruses especially, can pose a threat to thals by causing hemolysis and even minors can have some harsh effects as a result. I learned about this some time ago with someone who contacted me about an unexplained instance of low Hb. Her doctor had mentioned she had a parvovirus and that led me to research the connection between parvoviruses and anemia. I believe the issue eventually resolved on its own (the woman did not seem to believe the connection, but I think her doctor had some inkling that it was involved) but I did learn that parvoviruses are implicated in cases of suuden anemia where origin is not clear and that this should always be checked in patients who already have anemia that has suddenly gotten much worse. In cases where thal minors and non-transfused intermedias have sudden hemoglobin drops, the parvovirus should be investigated as a cause.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3020978

Human parvovirus and aplastic crisis in chronic hemolytic anemias: a study of 24 observations.
Lefrère JJ, Couroucé AM, Bertrand Y, Girot R, Soulier JP.

From March 1984 through November 1985, 24 children and adults with aplastic crises were admitted in several Parisian hospitals. Twelve patients had known hemolytic anemia. Aplastic crisis revealed hemolytic anemia in the remaining patients. The detection of human parvovirus antigen was performed by counter-immunoelectrophoresis, and specific IgM antibodies were detected by IgM-antibody-capture-radioimmunoassay, in order to establish the incidence of human parvovirus infection in the genesis of the aplastic crisis. Twenty-one patients had acute infection with human parvovirus. In the three remaining patients, no marker of human parvovirus infection was found. The features of the human parvovirus linked aplastic crisis are described. We consider that human parvovirus infection, and unknown hemolytic anemia, must be systematically researched in any case of unexplained acute aplastic anemia.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
Thanks Sharmin, definetly i will and let you know. Luckly i will be at the clinic in half an hour

manal

Kathy11

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 06:30:26 AM »
Just when I thought I heard it all then come the "fifth disease" now I have another illness to worry about ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Thank-you Andy :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin  I bet you if one doesnt kill us the other will,

Life is never boring on this forum that is for certain.

Kathy

Offline poo gill

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 09:56:20 AM »
Oh ! Now wht is a fifth disease. I have not heard about this.
"We are like angels with just one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other." 

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »
Puja,

Check this  http://www.fifthdisease.org/   .

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 10:19:27 PM »
Hi
 I asked the doctor whether this virus is spread here and how to avoid but the summary of her answer was that nothing can be made. It is just there  :huh :-\ :-\

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 10:42:31 AM »
 :huh :huh

Is there no vaccination or even precaution against it?

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »
Just when I thought I heard it all then come the "fifth disease" now I have another illness to worry about

Life is never boring on this forum that is for certain.

:agree life is full of new stuff here. BTW u should try this sometime:  :lalala it works for me  :biggrin
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline Manal

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »
Zaini

Unfortunatly there is no vaccine, may be because for healthy it is no ig deal :dunno

manal

Offline Manal

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »
Tariq
You are right sometimes you don't have any other option

manal

Offline Dori

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 05:22:05 PM »
The development of a parvovirus B19­specific serologic test led to the first report of symptomatic infection in humans. This report, published in 1980, described two soldiers who had a brief febrile illness.2 Subsequently, the simultaneous reports of parvovirus B19 as the etiologic agent for transient aplastic crisis among patients with sickle cell disease and for erythema infectiosum among schoolchildren established the association between parvovirus infection and these two disorders.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/991001ap/1455.html

Parvovirus B19 has been associated with persistent chronic anaemia and with transient aplastic crisis in children with sickle cell disease. A study involving a cohort of Jamaican patients with sickle cell disease showed that almost all cases of transient aplastic crisis were caused by Parvovirus B19 infection.(1,2)

Reports suggests that Parvovirus B19 can be transmitted through blood transfusions and plasma-derived products.(3,4) B19 is a non-enveloped virus and is resistant to high temperatures and most solvent-detergent treatments.

Despite this fact, routine screening of blood products for B19 DNA does not occur. However, many manufacturers carryout B19 PCR on plasma mini-pools to reduce high B19 viral load.

http://www.biotrin.ie/Blood.transfusions.html

My suggestion: forget about it. I dont want to worry about this. I mean, the piece of information I give you. In Sharmin's situation I would be worried too. Anyway, today I went with my niece to the blood bank. She had a hgb of 8.4 ml/l so she was able to give blood!!!  :cheer Last time she was not allowed to give because of a low hgb. Woman are allowed to give three times blood a year. I asked the nurse thousands of questions about it and she really like it to met a receiver and ofcourse to answer the questions. We were very lucky, because she has worked in the lab in the past. I never knew that you could work there actually without working ever in the lab. Btw all donors are voluntary workers in the Netherlands.

Kathy11

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 10:49:19 PM »
Zaini   havent you had enough injections???????????????? :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Really girl   :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl more needles   I'm running :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Love Kathy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk