Swine Flu

• 64 Replies

Offline poo gill

Swine Flu
« on: April 29, 2009, 06:37:25 AM »
Hi Friends

Please advise what is the best way to protect ourselves from Swine flu. Is vitamin C good?

Any suggestions.

As of now this Singapore is not affected but there are our friends in all over the world who can benefit from this discussion. Specially kids.

Thanks

puja
"We are like angels with just one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other." 

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
Re: Swine Flu
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 06:52:16 AM »
http://www.swinefluoutbreaknews.com/

As of now, people at CDC are trying to figure out the cure for it as the virus is bit tricky and continuously mutating with current one being the latest version. More information on precaution and symptoms can be viewed in the link above. May God protect us all
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline Narendra

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:47:33 PM »
WHO (World Health Organization raised its pandemic alert to 5 (6 being the highest). I am surprised the spread of the virus is going on so fast.

The precautions to take are the one's indicated for regular flu.

Wash hands more frequently.
Try not to touch surfaces/person that may be infected by the virus.
Don't touch mouth, nose, eyes after touching any such surface/person.

Offline SF

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:50:21 PM »
The only Antiviral drugs (not vaccine) that's shown to prevent and decrease/cure the symptoms of the flu are Tamiflu (by Roche) and Relenza (by Glaxo). One of these drugs must be taken within the first 48 hrs of onset of flu symptoms. Only take these drugs if you are infected and observe symptoms. You do what Narendra suggested to prevent getting infected.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 03:10:28 AM »
Hi Buddies ,
Quetion's here :
is Palsitan is also at risk directly from virus ??? ....

Best REgards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 03:51:33 AM »
Andy,

Does ritux leave lil A at a higher risk?  There have been two confirmed cases in our city. 
Sharmin

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:07:00 AM »
is Pakistan is also at risk directly from virus Huh? ....

Well we have seen flu outbreaks here also as i remember we were given flu vaccines in school, Viruses are smart, so they reprogramme themselves to adjust with the environment they are in. Also as you know that Saudia Arabia has hot weather still it is compulsory for pilgrims to get flu vaccine before going there. So i think it has nothing to do with high temperatures, a single patient can start an outbreak if not properly handled (God forbid).

May God protect us all from such situations

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:05:40 AM »
Andy,

Does ritux leave lil A at a higher risk?  There have been two confirmed cases in our city. 

Sharmin ,

Thats scary,i hope everyone will be ok,take care and stay safe  :( .We already have enough on our plates what with thal and everything.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline SF

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 07:09:27 AM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we (thals) are at a greater risk of getting infected, but, once infected, it may be harder for us to fight it as our immune system may not be as good as of normal individual, due to having a chronic condition.

Due to location (proximity to Mexico), US and Canada as well as the Central and South American countries would be at a higher risk of getting Swine Flu... Especially US as it shares border and the traffic to and from Mexico is usually pretty significant. However, these days there are many flights to and from Mexico from any major airport throughout the world, that I don't think any country in the world would be at no risk at all.

Umair and Tariq, viruses can usually live in extreme temperatures (especially hot temp).. They, however, require a host to live in and can't survive out in the atmosphere for long.

I heard in the news that Egypt slaughtered all their pigs to perhaps avoid mutation of the virus that occurs in pig's throat that initially created this particular strain of influenza virus that's transmittable to humans.. I thought I'd share the news...  This resulting strain of virus is also transmittable from human to human and that's what's leading to possible pandemic (God forbid).

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 07:20:06 AM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we (thals) are at a greater risk of getting infected, but, once infected, it may be harder for us to fight it as our immune system may not be as good as of normal individual, due to having a chronic condition.

Everybody is exposed equally but in thals case, immune system gives up quickly and let the infection proceed earlier than in normal people. Also we have an extra door of infection entry, our Tx. So we are at greater risk i think.

We have to avoid contact with every suspected flu patient and as mentioned in the topic take necessary precautions.

Our local news reported today that a passenger from Canada with possible flu landed here and is being kept in isolation until his flu is over.

Offline SF

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 07:38:53 AM »
Also we have an extra door of infection entry, our Tx. So we are at greater risk i think.

That is exactly what I was also worried about. I called Stanford Blood Center to ask them if they're screening donated blood for the swine flu, and they responded, no as there's no approved screening test available for flu.  :(
They explained to me that the leuko-reduced blood does not have a great chance of still containing any infections as most all WBC are taken out.. They further comforted me by reminding me that they conduct a detailed questionaire to ask donors whether they've had any symptoms in the last few days and whether they've travelled to any of the high risk locations (not only for flu but whole lot of other things). They also mentioned that they take the vitals (temp, weight, and BP) and if the donor was feeling ill, especially if he/she had a flu, it would be shown through abnormal temperature.

After hearing all this, I felt a bit comfortable, but even a small chance is still a chance....  :(  I actually believe that exposure we get at work, in school, and in other public areas is greater of a risk than blood transfusion if it's packed red blood cells that you're getting.. You can also ask similar questions to your blood donor or blood bank, just to make sure...

I'm going in for blood draw tomorrow and for transfusion on Friday... I'll need your prayers in this critical time. I also pray for everyone's safety more than ever!

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 08:06:11 AM »
They further comforted me by reminding me that they conduct a detailed questionaire to ask donors whether they've had any symptoms in the last few days and whether they've travelled to any of the high risk locations (not only for flu but whole lot of other things). They also mentioned that they take the vitals (temp, weight, and BP) and if the donor was feeling ill, especially if he/she had a flu, it would be shown through abnormal temperature.

Same practice is followed at my bank too fortunately. One question arises though, what is the duration in days between virus entry and noticeable symptoms in patient. Because if that is long, donor might get thru the checks if he/she just got the infection.But again that would be an exceptional case and exceptions are exceptions. Sorry if this talk is making people more worried but one's gotta know of what is headed ur way

Offline SF

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 08:19:35 AM »
One question arises though, what is the duration in days between virus entry and noticeable symptoms in patient. Because if that is long, donor might get thru the checks if he/she just got the infection

Yes, I pointed out the same thing to that doctor I spoke with at the blood bank here, and she then mentioned that since hopefully no WBC are present and also plasma is removed, the risk is very low... and again, I say even a tiny risk is still a risk... Again, like Tariq mentioned, we're not trying to scare anyone.. but, we should know the practices being used at our blood banks and just know our risks...

I'm hopeful, though, that there are drugs that can help fight this flu and the vaccine would also be available soon, inshah-Allah. We should do everything under our control to prevent the disease and what's not in our control, all we can do about that is to pray and keep ourselves calm!  I just ask Allah for our protection and what's best for us, Ameen!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 05:23:52 PM by SF »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »
What Narendra said always applies. The best way to prevent colds and flu is cleanliness. Wash your hands after contact with people and surfaces.

Most people who have gotten this current flu have only had a mild flu. I do feel this scare is a bit overblown. 3000 people die on earth from malaria every day and the death count from swine flu measures in the dozens, but these "fad" illnesses get so much publicity that we get the impression that people are dropping like flies from swine flu when it really isn't the case. Observe clean habits and if you do get sick, see your doctor.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »
Hi buddies,
hummm... situation seem really critical ...humm May ALLAH(GOD ) KEEP us all in His Safety and  bless us all, with the best of health AMEEN ...

SF , please investigate completely bfore getting Tx and best of luck for your TX and health , MAy ALLAH keep you and all others safe to all kind of viruses and infections (AMEEN) , please keep us updated and keep in-touch  , may GOD bless you ... Thanx alot for taking time to reply and informing and updating us abt the virus and  risk for thals and other aspects of related to it ... Thanx alot ...

As for me  : i got last Transfusion at last saturday and next will be a day bfore or a day after 6th may , till then i m at home not gona goo out-side ( as usual ) , may ALLAH keep all of us safe and healthy ... AMEEN

Andy, Tariq , SF, Zaini , Sharmin, Lil-A, Lil-Z ,Ahmed, Manala  and all , you're always in my prayers may GOD bless you all with the best of health and everything ... God Bless you all buddies & all other thals , members and all oter people of the world  ...

Best Regards
Take CAre
Stay Safe
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk