Change in treatment

• 21 Replies

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: Change in treatment
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 07:46:48 AM »
Tariq,

There comes a device through which you can monitor the flow of blood,or the speed of flow should i say.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »
Dimple,

Kiddie Pharmaton is a good multivitamin and i used to give it to my son and is always prescribed by doctors here cause it does not have iron or vitamin C.

But personally i prefereed shifting to Yummi Bears chewable cause it had minerals which are not in Kiddie Pharmaton

manal

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »
Dore

I meant by cortisone a steriod shot that is supposed to eliminate any reaction if there will be any

manal

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 12:58:56 PM »
Tariq,
here at my thal center we we just do it approx by seeing the frequency of the drops in lower chamber .... and i manage that on my own 1st 15 mins slow and then let the car move to motorway ,, and within 2:30 hour blod finish and i m on way back to home... its wat i did everytime ....

Best Regards
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 12:38:29 PM »
Off topic:

Irradiation of our donor blood??????????? Seriously??! So far as I know they only prepare it this way for cancer patients. :s

Dore
I will move this to an other topic.

What is cortisone?

I meant by cortisone a steriod shot that is supposed to eliminate any reaction if there will be any (Zaini)

From what I understand is it especially used by inflammation of the joints?

What is Lasix

Lasix is a diuretic. It helps remove extra fluids from the body and is usually administered in small dose after the transfusion. I would recommend taking it only if Priya or anyone else being transfused feels heavy in the abdomen. If you feel fine and are able to get rid of extra fluids naturally, (..). SF

Yes, now I remember. I heard about this recently, but I have never ever used in my life. In the hospital they only use it by eldery people or people who get a transfusion to get the counts up from chemo.

What is recormon?
Recormon   is erythropoietin a type protein that sometimes helps in   anaemia. It can be helpful to thal intermediate in combination with Hydrea. (Priya)

RECORMON contains the active ingredient epoetin beta (recombinant human erythropoietin). This active ingredient in RECORMON is a hormone that stimulates the production of red blood cells.
WHAT IS IT

RECORMON is used to treat anaemia caused by kidney disease, to prevent or treat anaemia caused by some anti-cancer medicines, to treat anaemia caused by some cancers of the blood (multiple myeloma, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma or leukaemia) and to prevent anaemia in babies born more than six weeks early.

RECORMON is also used to increase the amount of blood that can be given by patients who are donating their own blood for an up-coming operation (increasing the yield of your own blood). It is normally only used or this purpose if large amounts of blood are required, and the patient is anaemic but is not low in iron.

Ask your doctor if you have any questions about why RECORMON has been prescribed for you. Your doctor may have prescribed RECORMON for another purpose. This medicine is available only with a doctor's prescription. (http://www.roche-arabia.com/products/oncology/recormon.aspx)

Is Recormon a kind of EPO? You see, I am not an egghead in this field.  :winkblue

Dore

Offline SF

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 10:47:28 AM »
How do you implement this tx rate  Is their any sort of speed dial with rate attached (something like ml/hr)? Because here we just do it approx by seeing the frequency of the drops in upper chamber. But that is an approximate way of doing it.

Tariq and Zaini,

Sorry, I have not been to this site since May 20th. In CA (and mostly all of USA), the hospitals use a pump to infuse blood at the rate (ml/hr) they feed into this pump. So, the pump infuses at the rate specified, and the rate is calculated based on the weight.

How the actual pump works, I'm not 100% sure. It looks like based on the infusion rate, it calculates the time interval at which certain amount of blood is let into the tubing, and so, it's able to regulate the blood flow in the tubing. The tubing is attached to the pump. The pressure in the tubing may also be involved. The pump is also able to detect any occlusion or air in the tubing. Pretty neat, huh?

Best,
SF

Offline priya

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 04:20:06 AM »
Hi SF

Thanks for your response. Priya Weight is 24.5 kg and her age is 8 Yrs & 6 months. She has been given 20 ml/kg. And I think she has been given Lasix in between the transfusion because after that she needs to go toilet more frequently.

Thanks a Lot Manal.

Best wishes to all of you. :hugfriend
Dimple

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk