We have a baby!!!

• 32 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: We have a baby!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 06:55:27 PM »
You are right to not wait. Waiting only poses the risk of complications to the mother, so it is best to take care of things as soon as possible.

We will be here for support and future counseling.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 06:56:06 PM »
I am really sorry to hear about this sad news , my prayers are with you.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 08:03:22 PM »
Thanks all. I found some cases that will give us some hope:

http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/mycommunity/viewtopic.php?t=65

Lets hope for a miricle like this.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 01:41:08 AM »
Jamjam, i am so sorry to hear this and i really hope for this miracle to happen, wish ou all the luck.

I would also like to add that the same thing has happened to my sister in her first pregnancy (she is a minor too ) and it was more connected to the possibility of having thrombosis in the placenta which is sometimes seen in the pregnancy of thal minor women.

manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 01:53:50 AM »
With beta thal minor, the reason for miscarriage is often thrombosis (even if most doctors are completely unaware of this fact). In alpha thal, it is far more likely to be a result of an alpha thal major fetus being carried, which is not viable because alpha thal majors cannot make any hemoglobin due to a complete absence of alpha globin. The main concern in these cases must be the health and safety of the mother.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 02:00:05 AM »
Thanks Andy for this clarification

manal

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
We went another checkup today with virginal ultrasound, we can see the embryo more clearly and can even see the white dot which is the heart. But too bad that its still not beating. We arranged a D&C this wed, and life still goes on. We havent decide as to do it naturally next time or go for PDG+IVF. Thanks for all the prayer and support for us.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 03:35:39 PM »
I am so sorry about your loss.  My heart goes out to you and your family.  Please keep in touch with us and we will all be here to help you heal so that you can pursue whatever direction you choose in the future.  We are all here for you.  Once again I am so sorry.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 05:27:53 PM »
Hello Jamjam

I am too so sorry about this loss. Please be sure that we are all here for you. :hugfriend

manal

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 06:54:47 PM »
may God be with u :imsorry

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 06:35:55 AM »
Hi jamjam,

I'm so sorry and sad to hear about your lost. Hope your wife will recover soon.
You are so strong to face all these and I believe god will give you a precious baby one day.. just the matter of time.. we need to patiently wait and take good care our health.

FYI, we've went to TMC for some info on the IVF + PGD. Do PM me if you need more info.
Take good care of yourself and your wife.

Offline Dori

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 11:30:14 AM »
JamJam & your wife,

I am very sorry to hear this. You are in my thoughts.

Dore

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 07:55:44 AM »
Hi Jamjam,

I hope this post is not to late.  I hope to share some experience with you and readers.  I had miscariage about a month ago at 9 weeks.  It was a very sad experience.

3 days after the d&c procedure, we received the news that i was diagnosed with thal minor.  Until today i still questioned myself whether thal caused the miscarriage. At the moment i'm taking Iron supplement.

I had a long discussion with my doctor.  I have been told that the possiblity of having children with thal minor or even worse, thal major, if let say my husband had it too.  50% possibility of minor, 25% possibility of major and 25% possibility of normal.  At the moment, we are waiting for my husband thalassemia test results.  But we are preparing ourself.

Our doctor told us, with the current technologies, thal major children can be treated with stem cell transplant & it's curable.  I have put very high hope on this. 

I guess we have to prepare for the future but it's not as dim as before.  Go for blood cord banking for your baby.  Eventhough the transplant process is not very pleasant experience (my husband was a leukemia patient and he went through it 3 years ago) for the patient but that are hopes.

I hope this will help and congartulation for both of you.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 08:15:43 AM »
Hi,

Welcome on the forum, :welcomewagon

Iron supplements are tricky for thal minors,they can be of no use unless you have iron deficiency anemia,which can co exist with thal minor,and it can be determined through a panel of tests called iron studies,hemoglobin alone can not tell you whether you have iron deficiency or not,because low hb does not always mean low iron,so have your doctor done these tests? Do you know what is your current hb level and why your doctor asked you to take iron supplements?

I am sorry for your loss,was your doctor able to investigate the cause of miscarriage?

If your husband is also thal minor,as you said the chances are that baby can inherit it from both parents,but there is a test called CVS,which is done in between 10th to 12th week of pregnancy which can tell you if the baby has thal major or not,i thin k your doctor must have told you about it.

Yes the future of thalassemia is much better then it used to be once,it has changed into a manageable disorder from a disease,people are living into their 50s and having kids and living their lives to the fullest.And awaiting Gene therapy holds a big promise for thals.

Zaini.

^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 09:25:40 AM »
I guess we have to prepare for the future but it's not as dim as before.  Go for blood cord banking for your baby.  Eventhough the transplant process is not very pleasant experience (my husband was a leukemia patient and he went through it 3 years ago) for the patient but that are hopes.

I hope this will help and congartulation for both of you.

Hi,

Do you take folic acid? I am also against taking iron supplelemts. Iron supplements are one of the biggest mistakes doctors made with anemias, I believe. As for your husband I am glad to read through your sentences that he is doing fine 3 years after the day his day changed forever.

Welcome on board, Dore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk