Vitamin D, Heart Dysfunction Tied in Thalassemia. Take Vitamin D, Please

• 19 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Ashish,

The alternative to sun is high dose vitamin D. I suggest being tested first to know your level, and taking action when needed (it is almost always needed from my experience). I personally take 5000 IU daily. Many thals need to take doses as high as 50-60,000 IU at once to raise their levels. A minimum of 35 must be the goal with a level of 50-70 being optimum.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
I was searching on Google and found this.

I always wonder, why do thals have main scarcity of Vitamin D?

Back when I was 14 and had osteoporosis in 2009, my Vitamin D level shrink to 9.62!

I was an active kid back then, going to school, coming from school, going to tuition (all this on my cycle so I did get enough exposure to sun), playing outside an hour or so. I mostly was an outside kid back then.

But why my Vitamin D levels dropped? I'm trying to find this answer out all these years.

Do chelator chelates vitamin D out of body too, is this the reason? Or if not this, what causes the deficiency in thals, especially majors and not in non-thals?

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Any possible answers to my above questions and mystery Andy or anyone?

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Most nutrients are depleted by the excessive demand created by the stresses of thalassemia and vitamin D is no exception. But you also need to remember with D that over half the world's population is deficient, because most people get inadequate sunlight. Single digit D levels are common in non-thals. I also used to get a lot of sun when I worked outdoors in Florida. But since moving to indoor work in a northern climate, it isn't possible for me to get enough sun and I became severely deficient in D. Supplementation is necessary for thals for many nutrients, but antioxidants are also extremely important because they help to prevent the damage that is caused by the oxidative stresses that deplete the nutrients.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Thank you very much, Andy.

-P.
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk