My daughter was just diaognosed with Thal Minor

• 5 Replies
My daughter was just diaognosed with Thal Minor
« on: June 10, 2009, 12:22:33 PM »
Yesterday I was told that my daughter has Thal minor. Her doctor said " she does not have iron deficient anemia she has Thal minor and there is nothing you can do about it". I am wondering if I should take her to a hematologist? What are the important things that I should find out about my daughters blood ?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: My daughter was just diaognosed with Thal Minor
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »
One thing you should also realize is that one of the parents is also a thal minor. The health of that parent should give you some insight into what to expect with your daughter. Do you know what her hemoglobin level is?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 02:21:25 PM »
Hi Andy,
       I am assuming that my daughter father was the one that had the thal trait. He is deceased. He was from Czechoslovakia, and from what I have read it seems to be prevalent in European blood. I am also assuming that I would have known if it was me, as I am almost 50 yrs old and have had several blood tests done over the years. One being that I was check for anemia. I am I being foolish to think that it would have been picked up? And should I go for a blood test myself? I am of Irish descent.
Thank you 

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »
You can't acquire thal trait. It's a genetic trait and either you're born with it or not. If your blood tests had no comments about the blood cells being small or oddly shaped, it is likely that the father was the trait carrier.

Thal minor varies a lot in people so the best thing is to stay aware but there isn't really much you can do medically. The important thing is to provide a nutritious diet and I would also suggest a good multivitamin without iron. If you haven't already done so, read the post at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1575.msg13006#msg13006 concerning thal minor. If the father didn't have any obvious anemia problems, it is likely that your daughter will be similar.
Andy

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »
Good Morning Andy,
                      Yes, her Hemoglobin is 11. and her Hgb A2 is 5.8   The thing that bothers me the most is that she does catch illness pretty easily. I will go ahead and get her on some supplements and start researching a good diet for her.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 05:23:25 PM »
Some suggestions for supplements. Folic acid, B complex, vitamin D and vitamin E. There are many others that can be tried but these are essentials.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk