ANTI-OXIDANTS: ARE THEY AN IMPORTANT PART OF OUR THERAPY?

• 4 Replies

Offline Lena

ANTI-OXIDANTS: ARE THEY AN IMPORTANT PART OF OUR THERAPY?
« on: November 18, 2009, 05:12:55 AM »
 To Sharmin, Andy and whoever else attended the New York Conference:

I want to raise a question on the importance of anti-oxidants in our therapy.

Some doctors in Greece stated that in the New York Conference the role of anti-oxidants was questioned. They informed the patients of their Unit that they should take anti-oxidants, yes, but only when their blood counts show  below normal counts for magnesium, zinc, and so on. As we have repeatedly read in this site, antioxidants play a great role in our therapy. They help in the removal of free toxic iron- this is exactly what we have heard by our doctor whom you, Andy and Sharmin, have met in the Conference. She is a big fan of anti-oxidants and she has been making them part of our therapy in our Unit, for 10 years now. However patients of this other Unit have been informed of different things and they were perplexed. They were more or less told that taking anti-oxidants when not needed will harm their liver. This is too serious, as you all understand.

Please share your knowledge with us all, so as to resolve this matter.

Thank you in advance,

Lena.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: ANTI-OXIDANTS: ARE THEY AN IMPORTANT PART OF OUR THERAPY?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:23:28 AM »
Lena,

This is definitely important to look into.  The docs in Oakland highly recommend antioxidants to bind the excess free iron so that free iron does not damage organ tissue.

It is very important to take plenty of water when taking a lot of supplements, as the liver has to deal with all of these supplements. 

Currently, I am giving my son all of his supplements at once.  I wonder if it may be better for me to space his supplements out throughout the day. 

This is definitely something that we need to investigate.  Perhaps not all vitamins should be taken each day - maybe it is best to take 1/2 one day and 1/2 the next. 

Thank you for bringing this up Lena,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Lena

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:13:39 AM »
Sharmin,

thanks for your reply. I greatly appreciate your knowledge on things.

We do not take supplements here all at once. I am glad you brought this up. This is how we are advised to take them:

1. L-carnitine definitely in the morning -- any time but not later than 5 o'clock in the afternoon. Also, a little before any physical exercise or physical activity.
2. Vit E, better to be dispersed in every day's schedule. In breakfast, that is, lunch and dinner.
3. zinc, definitely on an empty stomach -- the box gives instructions to take them half an hour before our meal.
4. calcium - definitely 2 hours away from any meal. That is, two hours after meal or coffee and two hours before next meal.
5. magnesium -- any time.
6. Vit. D -- any time.
7. Vit. C -- any time but preferably between meals, otherwise  any food iron will be absorbed. Of course, near desferal if we are on it.

This is my knowledge and the way I am advised to take supplements.
I have no opinion on any other supplements - except for curcumin which I occasionally take after my meal.

It would be interesting to know any other alternatives,

Lena.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:28:21 AM by Lena »

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 06:58:09 AM »
Lil Z usually takes all her vitamins at once,apart from wheat grass and IP6 which she takes first thing in the morning,all other vitamins along with minerals like calcium,magnesium and zinc she takes after dinner before going to bed,Vitamin B and E she takes on alternative days.Should we split up the supplements through out the day?
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:45:28 PM »
Interesting. Supplements arent part of the treatment here. Its one year since I join this forum. Many know I had my doubts about supplements, but I changed my opinion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk