New Member Looking For Advice!

• 2 Replies
New Member Looking For Advice!
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:35:37 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this group and also newly diagnosed with Thalassemia Minor. I am a 39 year old female who has been taking iron supplements off and on since I was 21. I was always diagnosed as anemic but taking iron never increased my iron levels or made me feel better. I have days that go by and I feel wonderful..but I also have days when I just have zero energy. Reading through some of the posts here I am realizing none of this is in my head. When I feel tired, I really am..but it is very hard to get a doctor to understand what I am feeling. This is a wonderful site and I am so happy to have found it.
What I would really like some advice with is, how to improve my energy levels. What are some good vitamins to take and anything else that will help. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and I need to keep up. Thanks.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: New Member Looking For Advice!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 07:33:05 PM »
Sprucer,

Welcome to the site :)

Taking iron supplements is generally not a good idea for thal minors, (unless if you have confirmed iron deficiency).  Iron generally does not increase hemoglobin in thal minor, while it can actually lead to health problems.  Increased iron levels can actually cause lethargy and a general 'unwell' feeling. 

There are various supplements that we do recommend for thalassemia minor such as folic acid, wheat grass, b complex among  others which are listed in the nutrition and supplements section on this board.  Various brands of vitamins are also listed.  It is also a good idea for thal minors to eat nutritious snacks between meals (such as apples and pears) so that you are not going longer than 2 - 3 hours between meals.  This will keep your blood sugar levels and your blood pressure regular.

We hope that some of our suggestions help you feel better and look forward to your future posts,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
Re: New Member Looking For Advice!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 09:20:25 AM »
Hi sprucer ,
 :welcome2
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk