Webcast: Survival in Thalassaemia - Does the choice of iron chelator make a diff

• 8 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Upcoming webcast on iron chelators. Please register in advance online. This will answer many questions about the comparison of the effectiveness of chelators. The days of doubt about deferiprone are now gone. Heart disease is the # 1 killer of thalassemics. See which chelator is most effective at both removing heart iron and also protecting the heart.

http://ferriprox.dymaxium.com/webcast/home/details2.asp

Caterina Borgna-Pignatti MD

Survival in Thalassaemia - Does the choice of iron chelator make a difference?

Learning Objectives

* Review the most recent survival data for patients with thalassaemia major
    * Gain insight into the improvements seen in patient survival through iron chelation
    * Learn how different iron chelators impact patient survival
    * Review country specific examples on the changes in survival

Register    June 5th, 11am (GMT),
6pm Bangkok
Register    June 6th, 4pm (GMT),
8pm Dubai
Register    June 12th, 5pm (GMT),
6pm London

The life expectancy of patients with thalassaemia major has significantly increased in recent years. However, iron overload of the heart remains the main cause of morbidity and mortality, being responsible for more than half of all deaths.

A recent study from the UK found that 50 percent of patients died before the age of 35. A long-term Italian study found that 65 percent of patients were still alive at that age. To evaluate whether the choice of chelators has an impact on cardiac morbidity and mortality, we compared the occurrence of cardiac disease in patients with thalassaemia major treated only with deferoxamine and in those whose therapy was switched to deferiprone, from January 31, 1995 to December 31, 2003. At baseline, the two groups were comparable for age and sex, while ferritin levels were significantly higher in patients switched to deferiprone. Fifty-two cardiac events, including 10 cardiac deaths, occurred during therapy with deferoxamine. No cardiac events occurred during deferiprone therapy or within 20 months (or more) after therapy ceased. Thus, deferiprone appeared to be more cardioprotective than deferoxamine.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Narendra

Andy,

There are 3 webcast mentioned in the post. Are all the 3 webcast on the same topic or they are going to be on different topics?

It seems they are on the same topic but I just wanted to confirm.

-Narendra

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
They will all be on the same topic. You will hear the latest about what long term trials have shown about deferiprone (L1). Should be very interesting to see the comparison to other chelators.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Nur

Dear ANdy,

I don't understand how The Webcast works. Is it like chatting?  :huh

Why is there 3 places to sign up? should i pick the nearest?

:wonder

Nur

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Just like TV or Radio broadcast, webcast are live video/audio broadcast on the web. It requires high speed broadband connection (DSL or ISDN etc) to view video webcasts. Thus it won't work smooth if you are on a Dialup modem (56K).

There are 3 webcasts for the convinience of people living in different time zones. All three could be live or the first one could be live while the remaining ones could be re-runs just like TV. Choose the nearest/convinient time for you.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Narendra

Do we know if the re-runs are going to be available online (in case anyone is NOT able to see any of the 3 webcasts)

-Narendra

Offline Miaki

• Ash and Me Dubai
Hello to all

Yes there is a archived section on the webcasts page. When your at the webcasts page and you click on "Archived webcasts" you can or I should say you will see the previous webcast that took place in early May by Dr Dudley Pennell topic "How can MRI be used to optimize the management of thalassaemia?"

This feature is still to come but you will be able to see any old webcasts when they load them up.

Click on the link to take you there  http://ferriprox.dymaxium.com/webcast/home/archive.asp

Take Care
Miaki  :wink

Hello all,

Just a note of caution for those who might forget, please adjust your time relative to GMT accordingly.

Thanks
Regards.

Offline Narendra

Very nice webcast.

Although, I could not see the live webcast(I saw the archive) it gives a good picture of Iron Chelation and Life Span in Thal's. It shows us that the life span in Thal's is climbing up!! Thank's to those taking Iron Chelation seriously and the new advances in medicine.

-Narendra

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk