Blood in Cinema

• 5 Replies

Offline Madhavi

• Mohanish....a divine blessing!
Blood in Cinema
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »
Was just remembering a few episodes related to blood in the movies...
I havent been that avid a watcher of english cinema so I have more examples to quote from Hindi(Indian)cinema...I will try my best to make them sound as interesting in English...
1)What I most vividly remember is a movie called Amar Akbar Anthony-this was way back in the 80s... In this one they show that an old lady needs blood urgently and so her 3 long lost sons somehow end up there and have a matching blood type and they transfuse blood....Now what is so interesting about that...well...the transfusion is shown like this-the three sons lying in bed and the transfusion is via a set connecting the veins of the donors to the lady directly! How convenient-no need of any bags or collection!
2)Indian movies have many a dialogues related to blood-
a)Main tera khoon pee jaunga-Literally means I will drink up your blood.What it means is a warning or a person trying to threaten another saying that he will finish him!
b)Teri ragon mein ganda khoon hai-The blood in your veins is dirty.Well of course it is trying to say that a person is an illicit child!
c)Mera khoon khaul raha hai-My blood is boiling...I am very angry!
d)Khoon khoon hota hai pani pani-Blood is blood and water is water...It is trying to say that eventually blood relations matter more than any other!
e)Ye mere khoon pasine ki kamai hai-This is the money from my blood and sweat. It means hard earned money!
f)Khooni darinde-bloody rogue.
g)Iske haath khoon se range hain-His hands are coloured in blood...which means that he is a murderer.
h)Ye toh khoon ka pyasa hai-He is just thirsty for blood....probably to denote a serial killer!
i)Many a times when they show blood in the movies it is either ketchup or just some coloured liquid...which is either too high on Hemoglobin (dark red)or some other pigment which makes it not red but a dark magenta or pink!
If I recollect some more I will add to the list...maybe you all can do that too...
Hope it was an interesting read...
Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Blood in Cinema
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 05:36:49 AM »
Madhavi,

That was really interesting. We have the same terms in Arabic too :rotfl

manal

Offline Madhavi

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 08:21:35 AM »
Thanks Manal..
I was just about to delete the post thinking no body was interested in it! :rotfl ???
Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »
Hi Madhavi,

Very interesting:)  I am Canadian but I grew up listening to these phrases in Bollywood movies - and recall many movies in which the blood donor and recipient are connected to one another via an iv  :biggrin 

There are often phrases about whose blood is through running ones veins in those movies - what would a thalassemic say to that?  "Not quite sure, it is month to month..."   :rotfl  hmmmm things to ponder  :huh

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Madhavi

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 01:15:58 AM »
Very true Sharmin...actually that was what got me thinking about how silly some the episodes related to blood in movies are...
Most of the thals would be blood drinkers probably...'na jaane kis kis ka khoon piya hai?'-god knows what all types of blood they have drunk?(Gosh literal translation from hindi is a pain!)
Recently my son and daughter had to be tested as a prep for BMT....My son has the CMV Immunoglobulin...which is normally absent in Indians as in my daughter...after pondering for a while the doctor said of course it is because Chinese blood runs through his veins...! :rotfl :biggrin
Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
Madhavi ,
Veryy interesting topic .. :)

Regards
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk