Speed of transfusion

• 19 Replies

Offline Dori

Speed of transfusion
« on: November 21, 2009, 12:52:23 PM »
Hello Forum,

I would like to hear what the speed of the pump is during your bloodtransfusion. I also want to know how long you let them flush the line. How many ml's and what's the colour of the line? Is it completely transparent? Is it good to receive so many fluid from the flushing proces? Should you alsk for Lasix?

My answers:
The speed of the pump during my blood transfusion is 90ml/h and that is 3 hours of one bag. I let them do flushing the line a bit faster at the end, because most of the times they want to have it completely transparent?
I have tried to do it faster in the past, but I passed out.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:34:33 AM by Dori »

Offline Ironman

Re: Speed of transfusion
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 12:42:29 PM »
I regulate the speed myself, so sometimes its fast(30-45min/bag) other times its a bit slower(90 mins/bag).

We dont flush the line after blood here, but with other medicine they flush the line till theres only saline in it...
Fight yourself, before you fight others!

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
Dore,

I can't tell you the exact speed but its approx 90 minutes per bag,give or take a few minutes.They don't flush the line,just the canula in the beginning.Lil Z never got Lasix,they juist give her an anti allergy in the beginning,to prevent any reactions.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Emby

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »
200mls per hour...and only sometimes they are flushed through the cannula.

Offline Tedi

• my girl
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:58:29 PM »
In Bulgaria i have one bag from 1.30-2hours i usually have 2 bags.I like it slow.We flush the line.

When I make my bt in Greece i have one bag for 3 hours, and they dont flush the line.

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »
To the don't flusher: Don't you think it's a waste of blood. I mean when the bag is empty the line is still full of blood... (I just want to make clear we talk about the same thing).

Offline ginacappo

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:55:32 PM »
Hello Forum,

I would like to hear what the speed of the pump is during your bloodtransfusion. I also want to know how long you let them flush the line. How many ml's and what's the colour of the line? Is it completely transparent? Is it good to receive so many fluid from the flushing proces? Should you alsk for Lasix?

My answers:
The speed of the pump during my blood transfusion is 90ml/h and that is 3 hours of one bag. I let them do flushing the line a bit faster at the end, because most of the times they want to have it completely transparent?
I have tried to do it faster in the past, but I passed out.

Thank you for answering,

Dore

I usually get 2 units every 3-4wks and each unit is about 90mins long, 3 to 31/2hrs total, they flush for about another 20mins just long enough for the line to be almost clear and yes I get lasix but I believe its because I am older and when I get blood I feel like I ate a big watermelon. The Lasix gets rid of that heavy feeling in my chest and stomach. When I was younger I never received lasix so maybe it has something to do with age and we don't bounce back as quick as when we were younger.

Offline Lena

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »
I do not get lasix -- it has to do with heart disfunction, not with age.
Of course, I do not say this is your case Gina. You would have neen notified by doctors, if so.
Also anyone with low ejection fraction should not get two blood units at once -- it is a burden for the heart.

Lena.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:49:28 PM by Lena »

Offline Dori

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 08:45:29 PM »
Aha, all interesting stuff (no jokes here I am serious)
I forgot to tell that I try 1 bag in 2 hours (135ml/h) because I had an other appt very close. It worked well, a lil pain (have that sometimes) and I felt full afterwards. But I suppose that was caused by the amount of fluid they pumped in me. (I wonder; is so much fluid bad for a patient?)
I think I will stay with 2hrs (i voted only yes) because of my tiny veins. Do you think that tiny veins doesn't like fast speed?

Thank you all for answering!

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
i remember i was transfused 4units 250ml each once in saudi arabia riyadh .... and never had any problem ..... till now . But sumtimes yes it feels heavy on chest but it happens to me when i run blood very fast ... other than that no it never happens ... o dont like lesix cuz it maes me p while having blood and that this i hate most ... normally i feel that 250ml unit should b finished between 2 to 3 hours to reduce such reactions n weird feelings ...
Waleed

Offline Dori

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 03:00:11 PM »
Thank you for answering too. Maybe I will go back to more units at once to stop spending so much time in hospitals. In this scheme I step into a hospital every 10days (2times). It's not that you must feel sorry for me, it's just that I want a more normal life like my fellow students.

Offline eesha

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:00:28 AM »
Dori, do not have more than one bag at once, it is dangerous, a few hours extra is better than risking your life.

In my hospital the fastest they will give a unit is 1.30 hours but only if theres an urgency or something. THe general level is 2 hours per bag but only if you are young fit and healthy. Sometimes they give me over 3 hours.
I find that i react more when blood is given fast even two hours, i will get a temperature by the 2nd bag. TOoday i had tt over 3 hours and got no reaction at all-1st time in years. so the slower the better i say. Obviously the transfusion cant be longer than 4 hours, generally i would say 2-3 hours is the best.

Offline Dori

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »
I do not know how many knows here that I deal often with lots of pain during and after my blood transfusion.
Well I had it last week too but I took secretly a panadol. I did not want to turn of their alarm bells off. I wanted to leave so soon as possible to reunited with family because my dear grandfather passed away the day before. It helped with the pain although it came a bit back in two hours but then it was gone again. That is also something I will ask, but I cannot really say with it is and it seems to worry some people lots. However, that is a concern now I want to go back to 2 bags every 4 weeks.  But if I go back to those two units I really must consider to upgrade the speed from 90ml/hr. Dilemma!

Offline Laura

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »
Hello,

I don't use a pump.

I have two cases:

1. If I regulate myself it takes like 80-90 minutes.

2. If I fall asleep and the nurse regulates it, it takes like 120 minutes or a little bit less.

It is never more than 2 hours and never less than 1 hour per bag.

Kisses,

Laura.
The most important thing in life is not what you achieve but the fact of fighting for it.

Offline maryo0m

• ---SPREAD UR WINGS AND FLY---
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 04:15:22 AM »
[ I take 3 bags of blood so it depends ever noticed? if the blood bag looked darker it takes more time to finish if its lighter it finishes faster? :)

It's optional to flush the tube line after you finish in Kuwait, and I dont take lasix I did only once but thats because My blood level was high and I took a bag coz i had to travel so yeah they gave my lasix to avoid heavy feeling on my chest!

and about how fast well it depends on how I adjust it I go at 9am and at 2 pm or 1:30 pm im done with all three bags :)/color]
------------Spread your wings and fly-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk