Thalassemia and BODYBUILDING...

• 17 Replies

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
Thalassemia and BODYBUILDING...
« on: November 29, 2009, 11:18:09 PM »
Assalam u alaikum to every one...
                  As many here may know that i remain bz in my university life so dont get much time to touch here in forum .... but today on occasion of eid i thought its a right chance to cum up here and hav sum time here on forum ..... i got weaker and weaker 7 months back ... and to gain weight back i know what to do ..it ws BODYBUILDING ...and yes being thal major it didnt stop me to step into my gym and i would like to share with u guyz that i gained 9kgs/19.8lbs in 7months just cuz of right training and diet which is a gr8 achievement for not only as a patient but for any normal person that wud gain that weight in such period ....

i know what im saying i know patients here have weaker bones osteoporosis ... but wut i hav come upto that if we train and eat right keeping iron in control it will be really very very helpful for our health ...... i'll post my pics here to make u judge urself (hope i do it soon lol)  ... right now no where this guy looks thalassemic at all ..... just 7 months into training and a guy short and light as 5'2" started 41kg into 50 kg and lifting benchpress of 50KG  i thing is gr8 ........ this is all written not to praise myself but for the sole reasn that if I CAN DO ... Y CANT V ALL ???? AND I WANT TO SEE THAL MAJORS CUMING UP that way so WE ALL Add real fitness to our lives .......................any any any sort of help by thals on how to start training how to train wut to eat and especially how a thalassemic can deal  with it is all here ....
Waleed

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thalassemia and BODYBUILDING...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:52:03 PM »
Hi Waleed,

Weight training will make your bones stronger, so it lessens the threat of osteo problems. You're showing that this is an excellent exercise for thals.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:44:47 AM »
Thats great Waleed,keep it up :thumbsup .

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 03:06:15 PM »
Way to go Waleed. Keep up the good work.
Regards.

Offline Waleed

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:01:52 PM »
yeah not only will it make bones stronger but i am feeling things very differnently than b4...

ppl look at u in different way than b4 cuz of ur improved health ... i remember previously whenever i was in normal or casual dress , any girl wudnt giv second look. .... but now its the same guy with different hair cut,wearing 60rs. sunglasses n riding honda 70(bike) and there's no eye that didnt give 2nd look ..... ( i m a fundamentalist and dont look at girls cuz its prohibited but i just noticed it really ) ....

YOU look in different way to other's body ... men who were seen healthy by me are no longer that way and now its  easy for me  to point out weak or strong body parts of other ppl ...

Lets say cramps and pumps u feel in ur body parts is an Amazing feeling for me as it just let me feel that im Much much stronger n powerfull ...

I always feel charged active and ready to push lift anything

Previously... i used 2 sleep 12 hours and even then i felt i needed more ... but now even if i sleep 5 6 hours it makes me fresh ...

Diet must b impressive in BB, and now i eat a hell lot and food is quickly digested than ever b4..

Mood swings ....well aggression is the negative part u get .... other than that confidence  is increased ....

Overall , u keep health problems at distance and thats what my experience ... so i wud highly suggest that 2 my friends
Waleed

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:31:12 PM »
Andy,

Lil A is very interested in weight training and building some muscle.  He has also experienced some decrease in appetite during that last month.  Is it okay for an 11 year old to do some resistance training?  I don't know if it can interfere with his growth.  I think that it would give him more confidence and help him strengthen his bones more if he becomes stronger (he is quite strong and athletic now). 

Thanks,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 06:12:35 PM »
Hi Sharmin,

I think that would be very good for little A. He will build strength he needs for sports and also improve his overall health.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 06:28:18 PM »
Thanks Andy:)

Sharmin

Offline Waleed

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 11:56:42 PM »
Andy,

Lil A is very interested in weight training and building some muscle.  He has also experienced some decrease in appetite during that last month.  Is it okay for an 11 year old to do some resistance training?  I don't know if it can interfere with his growth.  I think that it would give him more confidence and help him strengthen his bones more if he becomes stronger (he is quite strong and athletic now). 

Thanks,

Sharmin

Weight lifting doesnt really hinder growth ........ its actually the steroids that MAY stunt growth if used b4 mature age ....so theres no problem for LIL a to lift weights  .... but dont u think 11yr old child is as much motivated towards BB???? cuz children of such age r more intersted in ruuning football cricket etc ??
Waleed

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 02:33:26 AM »
My son too was interested in carrying 1kg dumbles,but i remember asking a doctor about this and he told me it may hurt his muscle in this early age. I really have to check this because if it strengthen the bones, then it is worth it :huh

manal

Offline Lena

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 05:42:10 AM »
Our doctors advise not to do weight training, especially weight lifting in an upright position. This might produce heart disorders.

Lena.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 05:59:35 AM »
yeah not only will it make bones stronger but i am feeling things very differnently than b4...

ppl look at u in different way than b4 cuz of ur improved health ... i remember previously whenever i was in normal or casual dress , any girl wudnt giv second look. .... but now its the same guy with different hair cut,wearing 60rs. sunglasses n riding honda 70(bike) and there's no eye that didnt give 2nd look ..... ( i m a fundamentalist and dont look at girls cuz its prohibited but i just noticed it really ) ....

YOU look in different way to other's body ... men who were seen healthy by me are no longer that way and now its  easy for me  to point out weak or strong body parts of other ppl ...

Lets say cramps and pumps u feel in ur body parts is an Amazing feeling for me as it just let me feel that im Much much stronger n powerfull ...

I always feel charged active and ready to push lift anything

Previously... i used 2 sleep 12 hours and even then i felt i needed more ... but now even if i sleep 5 6 hours it makes me fresh ...

Diet must b impressive in BB, and now i eat a hell lot and food is quickly digested than ever b4..

Mood swings ....well aggression is the negative part u get .... other than that confidence  is increased ....

Overall , u keep health problems at distance and thats what my experience ... so i wud highly suggest that 2 my friends

Waleed,

Thats great to hear :yes .
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Waleed

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »
Our doctors advise not to do weight training, especially weight lifting in an upright position. This might produce heart disorders.

Lena.

i believe doctors in pak believe the same. But one thing is for sure . There is really no experimentation on it .... now how does a thalassemic rat will lift weight to assess whether its beneficcial to humans or not lol ;) ... therefore, im myself doing experiment with my body as to how a thalassemic may react to weight lifting ... and ive found 9 kg of pure lean mass on my body ....

Heart disorders ??? i wud say its really amazing feeling when u lift Benchpress of 50kg for ur chest ....
Waleed

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 05:56:54 PM »
Hi Waleed,
Amazing. WOW, Though i am late to reply this post
You did Bodybuilding, Great.
You are inspiring
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 08:58:47 AM »
i  tried   body  building  but  after  half  an  hour  my  muscles  had  burning  pain  and  have  to  stop  because  of  muscle  pain  do  you  get  severe  muscle   pain  while  your  training  and  if  you  do  what  do  you  do  about  it   i  have  alpha  thalassemia  minor  and  am  reasonably  fit   i  do  a  lot  of  walking  10  klms  per  week  average  sometimes  more  klms    i  have  started  going  to  gym  again  but  can  only  do  30  minutes  training   before  i  get  sore  can  you  help  me  out  with  feedback

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk