i know that im carried of the beta-thalassemia and i have as a result:
HBA2=5.9%
MCV=70

the problem is that my fiance has a confusable result and a borderline result
HBA2=3.8
BUT THE MCV IS 89 !!!!!

HER FATHER NORMAL AND HIS HBA2 = 2.9%

BUT HER MOTHER !!!! HAS HBA2 = 3.8% AND ALSO high MCV = 90

please advise what should i do....if i should do the genetic study...can anybody predict before i do the genetic study if i can continue with my fiance or not, coz the genetic study takes 2 weeks :(

plz its urgent

Offline Lena

Re: is my fiance a beta talassemia?? urgently
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 09:16:12 AM »
Hi Tony,

please wait for our administrator's reply. Until then, try to stay calm - even if your fiancee is a carrier, that is not the end of the world. It does not mean you are going to have a child with thalassemia--there are ways to avoid that nowadays.

I'm sure you will soon receive your reply.

Lena.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:33:56 AM »
tks so muchhh Lena  :)

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:11:33 PM »
Hi Tony,

You will definitely need to wait for the results of the DNA analysis. Even with further information from the blood tests (HbF level?) it will not be clear. Various possibilities include silent carrier, mutation in the delta gene, and co-existence of alpha thalassemia trait. None of this can be diagnosed without the DNA test. I realize that the waiting is difficult, but you need to know exactly what her status is and the DNA test is the only sure way to do this. Everything else is simply speculation, and with the hundreds of different beta thal mutations and deletions that exist, no one can tell you how each possibility will manifest. The possibility of co-existing alpha trait muddles the picture even further.

Be patient and hope for the best and realize that even when two carriers have children, with proper genetic counseling, you can have children without thal major.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »
Tony,

I stress too on making the DNA test because my husband had close reading to your fiance and even his parents had their MCV in the high normal, but it turned out that he is a silent carrier. Silent carrier mutations are also common in Lebonan and therefore you better be cautious and as Lena said, there are ways to avoid a thal major child in case your partner is a carrier too.

You did the right thing by testing before marriage, hats off :wink

manal

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 06:56:43 AM »
tkss so much Andy...tks Manal
but Manal...u scared me a bit...specialy when u gave me a similar example...coz the pb is if she is a carrier we decided to break up and not to take any risk....i know it will be sooo hard...we will go into strong depression...thats why sometime i search for anyone who give me hope :) tks you all and i will let u know the result just when i receive them.....tkss

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 07:02:59 AM »
Hi Mr Andy,
just wana give you the HBF level = 0

any hope???

tksss

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 11:13:22 AM »
I am sorry Tony, I didn't want or mean to scare you, I just wanted you to know that there is something that is called a silent carrier that is why DNA test is so important in your case.

Again i would like you to re-think about your decesion in case she is a carrier because there are ways to avoid having a thal major child.

Wish you all the best and keep us updated

manal

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 01:49:20 PM »
dont worry manal :)

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 02:28:44 PM »
HbF of zero does give some hope that it isn't thal minor but, until the test results come, you won't be sure. There is some possibility that this has to do with the delta gene. If it is, there may be nothing to worry about.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 08:57:57 PM »
:) :) :) :)
thank you Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk