Evaluating hydroxyurea after one year

• 75 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Evaluating hydroxyurea after one year
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2010, 01:09:16 AM »
Manal,

I know the list is based on reactions in alpha thalassemia, but take a look at the list in this post to see if your son may have had exposure to anything that might cause hemolysis. http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=3410.msg34830#msg34830

Meanwhile, I have posted in a new topic asking for any ideas for reducing spleen size. One of our adult members recently told me she may have to have her spleen removed because it is 26 cm. Incredibly, she is used to living with it at around 20 cm. I am really hoping we get some suggestions, so that she can find a way to keep her spleen.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2010, 01:59:04 AM »
Manal,

My prayers are always with you and little Ahmad.  I hope and pray that his spleen will shrink and that his hemoglobin will increase.  I am hopeful that some new method of treatment for thal intermedia will be helpful to you very soon.  Have you ever tried nigella?  

The homeopathic medication I was giving lil A worked initially but eventually had no effect and we so we had to repeat the ritux - we abandoned the use as I think there may have been a link between the homeopathic medication and his loss of appetite.  Otherwise I would have recommended that to you.  

I am sending you lots of love and prayers,

:pray :pray

Sharmin
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:09:29 AM by Sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2010, 05:56:53 PM »
Manal,

I am sure Ahmed's hb will get back to his normal levels,we are all praying for you and Ahmed,couldn't this be due to hot weather? coz i notice Z goes pale fast in summer then in winter.

Praying for you,keep us updated. :hugfriend

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2010, 07:37:08 PM »
Dear Manal, I do not have enough knowledge to give you advice. But I will like to give you this  :hugfriend

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2010, 01:19:56 AM »
Andy
Thank you so much for your concern :hugfriend. I will check the post and concerningthe list, to my knowledge, he was not exposed to any of those things

Sharmin
Thank you So much my friend. I have started the nigella today but the oil is only available right now, hope it works :hugfriend

Zaini
I really do hope so my friend :hugfriend. I know what you mean about the weather, but actually his Hb usually increases in the summer rather than the winter. May be in the summer he sleeps more and eat better than when he is in school

Babynorth
Thank you my dear, this means a lot :hugfriend

Manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2010, 02:08:40 AM »
I wish you the best with the nigella Manal.  I used to give him nigella with honey and aloe vera juice - it seemed to work at the time. 

Please keep us posted,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2010, 08:54:12 AM »
Thanks Sharmin, definetly i will :hugfriend

Offline maha

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »
The nigella oil is also very good Manal. But adding honey is necessary to bind the stools otherwise the stools would be very loose and watery. Wishing you and Ahmad all the very best.

maha

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2010, 06:50:26 PM »
Manal,

I am sorry if i am getting this wrong but nigella seeds aren't available there?

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2010, 01:40:45 AM »
Thanks Maha for your wishes :hugfriend

Zaini
Actually we have nigella here, but Ahmad hates the taste, so i used to get him a supplement that has the full seed grinded inside a capsule, he used to swallow it not knowing what is inside, but this brand for unknown reason is not found, so i am getting him some other capsules but they have the oil only, which is better than nothing 

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:46:21 AM by Manal »

Offline Manal

« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2010, 11:39:58 PM »
She asked us to do another CBC after one week after increasing the hydrea dose to 450mg instead of 400 and lowered the dose of L-carnitine, but taken daily instead of 5/week. She also doulbed the folic acid dose. All this for this week until we do the CBC

I did the CBC and the hb was 6.8, platlets count back to normal and retic decreased by 1% (it is 7.5% now). The spleen decreased by 2 cm (it is 5cm now). The doctor said we will continue with the same dose

I will be ordering the red root and hope that it will help decrease the spleen

Manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2010, 01:26:34 AM »
Manal,

That is encouraging to see some small improvements after only one week. It may be that there will be a need for some regular fine tuning of the dosages.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2010, 02:49:05 AM »
Manal,

Thank you for the update.  It seems like things are better.  I am so glad to hear that his spleen size has decreased.  I hope that things continue to improve.  I will continue my prayers. 

Sending you my best,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2010, 04:59:32 AM »
Thank you Andy and Sharmin so much for your replies. I really hope things will be better :hugfriend
manal

Offline olivia mary

• Olivia Mary
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2010, 03:26:59 AM »
Manal I hope you son is doing better!  :hugfriend You are an amazing mother! and your family is in my prayers. Olivia recieved her transfusion today and during her exam the MD told me her spleen was 3cm. What happens now? Do we just watch it? at what point do they talk about removing it?

Thanks Kathleen  :biggrin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk