RESVERATROL AT 20 mg/kg per day

• 11 Replies
RESVERATROL AT 20 mg/kg per day
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:16:48 AM »
a study (i found it on the site of biotivia, the company that sell resveratrol!!!) showed that resveratrol increases AST.
so do that means that resveratrol administration is better to be avioded or?????
P.S. the study is attached to this massage.

Re: RESVERATROL AT 20 mg/kg per day
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:30:06 AM »
also the study says at the begining that resveratrol has a lipid modulatoe effect. but in the tables it was written that cholesterol and LDL increased.?! did i understand right or something wrong?! i am very confused:(

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:02:00 AM »
The findings are no anything to be concerned about.

ALT levels, which indicate hepatic integrity, did not differ between control and treated rats. AST was significantly higher in rats treated with trans-resveratrol than in controls. However, both means were within reference values provided by Harlan Ibèrica and Alemán et al. (28Citation ). Ringler and Dabich (29Citation ) suggested that ALT is the most reliable variable for the evaluation of hepatic toxicity, whereas AST is not as useful because of its wide distribution. Renal function and the plasma levels of electrolytes were not different between treated and control groups, and were within reference values. In conclusion, the minor changes found in the concentration of this enzyme suggest that no important alteration of hepatic function took place in trans-resveratrol-treated rats.

The safety of resveratrol in proven in many studies, as well as its positive effects on liver function, in addition to the positive effect on hemoglobin levels. In a follow up study, resveratrol toxicity was established in huge doses of 3000 mg/kg body weight (bwt). At doses that were much higher (300 mg/kg bdw) than the study you mention, no adverse effects were found.
http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/82/2/614

No histological changes were observed. Therefore, under the conditions of this study the no observed adverse effect level was 300 mg reseveratrol/kg bwt, and the kidney was identified as the major target organ of toxicity in animals treated with 3000 mg/kg bwt.

What you really need to look at in these studies is that they are trying to establish what the toxic level of resveratrol is and it is far higher than a dose any human would take.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:03:14 AM »
the question can be asked in a more practical and realistic way:

are the benifits of resvaeratrol ( at a dose of 20 mg / kg day) as a HbF inducer, antioxidant, cardioprotective and anto platelet aggregator are satisfactory enough to accept the  rise in AST in a thalassaemic patient?

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 05:03:49 AM »
thank you andy for this rapid response

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:05:57 AM »
thank you Andy, of course ALT is more reliable, and AST is not so specific, but as a thalassemic, i am a little bit obsessive about my liver!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:07:40 AM »
if you please Andy i want your opinion on the issue of l arginine, too

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:08:10 AM »
Under normal dosage, you will not see any significant changes in ALT, AST or cholesterol levels. These huge doses only made moderate changes in those values. You will not be taking doses of this magnitude.
Andy

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 05:13:33 AM »
See our posts at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1862.msg15602#msg15602

Nitric oxide enhancers have great value in thalassemia. I believe that some day this will be shown to be true for thal minors also. Prevention of pulmonary hypertension is an extremely important goal, now that thals are living much longer life spans. Even without iron overload, PHT can develop due to the losss of nitric oxide in the arteries. The various nitric oxide enhancing supplements can all have value to thals.
Andy

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 05:17:21 AM »
thanks a lot Andy

Offline Dori

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 11:25:40 AM »
Does nitric oxide supplement exsist? As we say in Dutch 'It's all above my scarf. Too difficult for me.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 12:47:24 PM »
the supplement will be L arginine. but i found no medical research about it's administration yet. anyway, it is available in puritan pride website(www.pritanpride.com)
Hemolysis also releases erythrocyte arginase 1 into plasma. Arginase metabolizes plasma arginine into ornithine, reducing the required substrate for nitric oxide synthesis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk