Hello from the Philippines!

• 3 Replies
Hello from the Philippines!
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:35:07 AM »
Hi Everyone! 

I'm April and I have recently been diagnosed as thal trait.  So was my husband.  Glad to have found this forum, as I feel kind of lost in the thal world.  We only found out that there is such a thing as Thalassemia when our son died last Dec. 23, '09 at 8.5 months, when I had an emergency c-section having accidentally found out that there was no more amniotic fluid in my womb.  We had a partial biopsy done and it was discovered that among other things, his heart, liver, spleen and lungs were affected.

Well...I will be reading around this forum as there seems to be so much information.  Actually, I've been reading up in the forum for a few days now, but I often suffer from information overload!  Also, it's a bit confusing to differentiate Thal alpha and beta advice, so I think I have to read a bit more.  Hope you guys won't mind, but I'm surely going to ask ALOT of questions later on.

Take care, everyone, and pleased to meet you all.

April

Re: Hello from the Philippines!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »
April,
I'm brand new to this site too, and yours is one of the first posts I have read.  I just wanted to say how incredibly sorry I am that you had to find out about thalassemia in such a tragic set of circumstances.  I am so sorry for the loss of your son.
I am 49 and was diagnosed with thal minor, but with major symptoms, beta thal, 35 years ago.  I am still happy to be alive, and am grateful to Lisa for starting this site.  I had no clue how many people truly suffer from this disorder.
Please stay aggressive in this community, maybe someday, people won't have to go through what you and your husband have.

Offline Madhavi

• Mohanish....a divine blessing!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 05:29:06 AM »
Hi April and OldThalGal.....
It is definitely refreshing to see people with a positive approach to life amongst our friends....Welcome to our lovely community....
...hope we all can conquer our troubles with our courage,determination and the love of our superb friends here....
 :hugfriend :hugfriend
Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline Prets

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 11:00:05 AM »
Hello April and OldThalGal,

Welcome,

I am one of the few thal minors who are symptomatic (in a huge way!) ..   one issue was the iron supplements for several years, that I didn't really need.  Working on it now - to improve health in every way possible.

Hope you find all the guidance you need here.

Much love,
 :hugfriend       :hugfriend

(oops madhavi - we seem to think alike... I used the same smileys u did - I thot 2 separate hugs for two people..   lol...   heres one for you too!!     :hugfriend
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk