wheatgrass?

• 10 Replies

Offline aabha

wheatgrass?
« on: March 30, 2010, 09:36:01 AM »
hi andy,
first let me thank you for letting me join this forum.i read a lot on it.my son is 6 1/2 mnths and has undergone 3 transfusions:
1)on 2feb when his hb was 5.8 100ml blood was gien,hb was10.9 after the transfusion
2)0n 13 feb,his hb was 8.5.100ml blood was given,hb was not done later to avoid repeated puncturing of the vein
3)on 8 march his hb was 8.5 again and 100ml blood was transfused.
blood tranfused is luecodepleted,irradiated blood.
going by the previous rate of transfusion we took him again on 29 april and to my utter  disbeleive the hb level was 11.2.
the only change we made was giving him fresh wheatgrass juice everyday,about a tsp.daily.am planning to start 4-5 grapes daily as i read about that in one of your posts.
his serum ferritin report came today and was 400.what s the amount i need to start chealation on?
are there any natural chealators that i can introduce in his diet?
please let me know.
thanks a lot,
warm regards
aabha

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: wheatgrass?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »
Hi aabha ,

It would be difficult to make any assumptions at this point regarding the Hb level. It is good that it has stayed level, but one month won't tell you much, especially at this age. It may be that the wheatgrass is helping to keep his fetal hemoglobin level higher but at this age, there would still be some HbF present, so the significance cannot yet be measured. I would suggest continuing wheatgrass and also adding grapes, and really pay attention to all foods to make sure you establish nutritious eating habits at a young age. Chelation usually won't start before a ferritin level over 1000 is reached, and often not before two years of age. Drinking tea with meals can help prevent iron absorption from food. Avoid citrus with meals because it helps iron absorption. Citrus can be used as a snack between meals. If you can get it, a nutritional supplement that is related to B vitamins, IP6 (phytic acid) is an iron chelator and will remove some iron. It is not strong enough to replace chelating drugs but is can be used for its supplemental effect. It is also a powerful antioxidant, which is very important.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline aabha

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:05:16 AM »
Dear Andy,
thanks a lot.i read that phytic acid is present in the hull of sesame seeds, so will grind them and give jai (my son)
one tsp daily.hope it makes a difference.
we are also trying for a sibling match by new conception,meanwhile we have found two 6/6 hla matches in the international ndmp registry and a 5/6 cord blood in india.we are praying we get a related match as a unrelated transplant is rare in india.till then i am trying to keep jai healthy,my focus is his iron level.thanks for your help on that
warm regards
aabha

Offline Madhavi

• Mohanish....a divine blessing!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 02:34:46 AM »
Nothing more to say but Hats off to you dear Aabha.......God bless you with all your efforts....Jai is a lucky boy!
Love and luck to all...

Offline aabha

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:30:50 AM »
Dear madhavi,
thanks a lot.....your story about mohanish's transplant has been an inspiration and ofcourse your replies to my messages and kind words have made a world of difference.....they have boosted my morale a lot!!can't thank you enough.
regards,
aabha

Offline aabha

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:22:29 AM »
Dear Andy,
you wrote about tea with meals,is this the regular tea with milk you were talking about or green tea?
regards,
aabha

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 03:08:46 PM »
While green tea is considered healthier, all tea works as an iron inhibitor, as do dairy products. Tea is also very high in healthy antioxidants.
Andy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
green tea bag with hot water is it the best to consumed isn't ?

http://thalassemianme.blogspot.com/

Offline aabha

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 08:33:55 AM »
Dear Andy
thanks for the speedy replies.as suggested i am giving my son IP6 too,which is found in sesame seeds.today i read that they are a rich source of iron too,am totally confused :dunno.please advice.
am giving green tea with sugar about 200ml a day.
regards
aabha

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »
One teaspoon of sesame seeds contains .17 mg of iron so this is not a factor to be concerned about with sesame seeds.

You can check all food products for nutritional composition at  http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
Andy

Offline aabha

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 12:15:50 PM »
Dear Andy
thanks a lot
regards
Aabha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk