Considerations?

• 4 Replies
Considerations?
« on: April 24, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »
Hi all,

I recently went for a simple blood test - everything came out fine; perfect from what my GP advised. I went to my GP again to have my TSH and Cortisol checked and as a result, I ordered a whole blood test.

Now it wasn't a revelation that I had Alpha Thalassaemia minor (as I was informed by another GP about 7-8 years ago that I had it) but since I'm a little older now and need to be pro-active with my health, I'm wondering if there's anything I should keep in mind in terms of diet/lifestyle/health changes in general?

My TSH and Cortisol levels were fine. However, here my haematology results:

Haemoglobin - 136
RBC - 6.73
PCV - 0.45
MCV - 67
WCC - 4.5
Neutro - 2.4
Lymph - 1.6
Mono - 0.3
Eosin - 0.1
Baso - 0.1
Platelets - 195

Apparently, these results are consistent with Alpha Thalassaemia Minor. How exactly minor is my condition though based on the preceding results? Does Alpha Thalassaemia Minor (my case, in that regard) worsen as I age?

Any help would be appreciated.

coeus

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Considerations?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:15:01 PM »
Hi Coeus,

The MCV does indicate possible thal minor status, but there would be more to the determination of alpha thal status than these results alone. Ethnic origin and family history are also usually taken into account with alpha thal carrier status. Your hemoglobin level is a normal 13+, which is excellent. There should be no expectation of any deterioration in your health as you age, as long as you follow a nutritious diet. I do recommend folic acid supplements for anyone carrying alpha thal, as this is important for building red blood cells. It is also the only thing that is known to help with the more severe forms of alpha thalassemia. I would also suggest, just to be on the safe side, that you avoid fava beans and exposure to chemicals like naphthalene, as these can set off hemolytic crises in the more serious types of alpha, and it's best to be safe even with only minor status.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »
Thanks Andy. You've explained more than my GP could possibly ever.

My GP didn't really explain much except for the fact that I'll be "fine". Not really comforting, even in the very least.

I've been taking supplements on a regular basis now, including Vitamin B, a general multi-vitamin and Korean Ginseng. I've taken the initiative to quit smoking as well. Are there any other tests I should go for as well?

Does exercise have any potential benefits for thal minor? I know you can't say much simply based narrowly on my results but more or less, I'm asking for a speculative opinion.

Thanks again.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 07:42:56 PM »
Mild to moderate exercise has much benefit for thal minors, as it greatly increasing the oxygen available throughout the body, as it also improves circulation. Most of the problems we hear about from minors are related to low oxygen levels, especially in the extremities. Nutrition and exercise can do much to improve the quality of life for minors. Obviously, smoking has an adverse effect on oxygen levels, so quitting is great.

One thing I should point out is that testing of a partner is very important before trying to have children, especially when alpha thal is involved, because it is not readily diagnosed and two minors can have a child with HbH disease or even alpha major, if both parents are two gene-deleted alpha minors.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:32:50 AM »
Cool. I've been starting an initially mild exercise regime, however, have also been playing badminton every week regularly. I'm 22, if that counts for anything and furthermore (contrary to what I feel), my GP believes I'm (medically) a healthy young adult.

Perhaps it's the anxiety that's placing somewhat unnecessary fear about this condition. Yep, I'll be sure to go for genetic counselling once I find a suitable partner and decide to have children. It's strange though: for those 7-8 years, I never took seriously the implications of having this condition.

I should never take my body for granted which sadly I think I might have done previously. For one, the smoking.

Thank you for your help, Andy.

If there's anything else you think I should consider, i.e. tests, lifestyle considerations etc - please let me know!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk