BMT in adult thals

• 13 Replies

Offline eesha

BMT in adult thals
« on: May 30, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »
any adult here had bmt. or anyone know of successful adult bmt. wa it sibling, family or unrelated?

Offline Tedi

• my girl
Re: BMT in adult thals
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:10:36 AM »
Hi eesha, what is bmt?

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »
Tedi,

Bone marrow transplant.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline eesha

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:03:29 PM »
i take this answer as a no then?  :wink

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 10:48:30 PM »
Eesha,

I was hoping someone else could be bothered to give some input here, but as usual, I have to address this. Yes, adults have had BMT. Elmas, from Netherlands comes to mind. Her thal minor sister was the donor. My worker had a BMT to cure lymphoma. He was in his mid 50's and almost died a couple times. He's now doing better.

The chances of success are lowered as an adult but it isn't out of the question. Much depends on the health of the patient and how much damage to organs has been done by iron.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline 7assan

• I wish you a speedy recovery
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »
hiiiiiiiiz eesha my bro is 19 years he will go for bmt in next 2 month

Offline Dori

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 07:58:47 PM »
Hi Baloch, I wish your brother and the rest of the family strength these upcoming months.

I am a very close friend to Elmas and after the summer an other Dutch woman will get a sct (stem cell transplant) and her donor will be her sister who is an thal minor.

Today she heard the ins and outs about transplant. From what I have heard are most people who get a transplant <45 years and have cancers. Therefore our chances remain higher. The doctor told us there is less chance of graft-versus-horst-disease by us because we do not have cancer. Because of them we keep a part of our own bone marrow which can live nicely along transplant. That is because the patient and donor are 100% HLA match.

We carry a lot of viruses in our body who only are harsh when our immume system is low and weak.

Do you want to know more?

Offline Narendra

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:56:10 PM »
Bone Marrow Transplantation can have a very high rate of success or failure provided the patient has :

• Normal Serum Ferritin
  • Normal liver function
  • Normal liver size on U.S.G. or clinically
  • Normal liver histopathology on biopsy.

The age does NOT come directly into picture but with age the above factors come into picture, so mostly it depends on the above factors.

That reminds me - Regular Iron Chelation is the best thing to do. Keep chelating - Either way it is a win-win situation.

Offline Madhavi

• Mohanish....a divine blessing!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 03:22:27 AM »
Quite rightly put Narendra...as always!
They always look at classifying the person up for BMT depending on the various criteria as listed by Narendra...and regular iron chelation makes the person a better candidate! The better the general physiological condition of the person, the better are his or her chances.....

Baloch, I wish your family all the best for the BMT!May you all be strong and emerge victorious!

Love,
Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline 7assan

• I wish you a speedy recovery
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »
Dr. said yesterday that the transplants in adults age success rate in a few too many risks can be your brother die as well because many symptoms. We are very worried about my brother right now . we dont no wht to do right now , can any give me any advice ....?

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »
You need to find a transplant center that is well known for this procedure and with a high success rate.
Then your brother should be evaluated by the doctor and everything should be discussed starting from the expected risks, going through the procedure itself, all the possile sceranrios including long and short term side effects  or even the permenant ones

After this your brother should have the time to think whether he will go through this procedure or not, definetly as a family you can give  him your opinion but at the end it is his decsion (he is 19 years old i think).

He is the one who will be able to decide whether to go through this procedure or continue manageing his thal

manal

Offline eesha

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 10:17:23 PM »
Does anyone know if for thals you can have an unrealted donor, or maybe a cousin?

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 10:38:53 PM »
Yes you can have unrelated donors either from BM banks or cord blood banks.

There are common antigens between the patient and the donor, the more matched the  antigenes the more we say that we have a matched donor.

Even in unrelated donor you have to have a minimum number of matched antigens.

Omega's daughter had a successful transplant from unrelated donor and she is doing very well

manal

Offline Dori

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 02:01:20 PM »
Hello,

I got a friend who had SAA (aplastic anemia in hgb and platelets) who had her unrelated SCT two weeks ago. Her counts are coming up, even her leuco's now! :) She is still very sleepy, but the results do show a ride to the top. Although I do wonder now how this heat treats her. She lives in the same city and today it is 35C. It seems that I have no other choose than watching footy. I thought nobody would be home but...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk