Confusing advice, about diet?

• 6 Replies
Confusing advice, about diet?
« on: May 17, 2015, 07:41:13 PM »
Doing more research and came across this article. So main bit, don't eat iron rich food? http://ukts.org/living-with-thalassaemia/thal-life/diet-exercise.html

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Confusing advice, about diet?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:54:55 PM »
Iron absorption is inversely related to Hb level. The lower the Hb, the more iron that will be absorbed. This is not normally an issue for thal minors, unless their Hb is unusually low for a minor. It is a big issue for intermedia patients who don't transfuse and for majors who do not keep their Hb as high as is recommended.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Suppliments and Iron
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:09:58 PM »
Andy:

On the subject of iron, I was diagnosed with Thal minor a few months ago, i'm 51, never had any real health issues, always felt great and had plenty of energy and still do.  I went to my doctor after experiencing rapid or intense heart beats after eating, and when exerting myself.  To his credit, as a GP, after the usual heart and stress tests he figured out there was an issue with my red blood cell size.  Strangely, none of the tests showed decreased oxygen carrying capability of blood.  He sent me to a hematologist who nailed it as Thal minor.  I'm of Italian ancestry so it made sense.

I've been told I don't need to do anything to treat it, however, I did ask my doctor if I could take iron, since my iron level does show as borderline low, predictably.  He said yes.  I began taking 27 mg per day and it has had a dramatic effect on symptoms, rapid/intense heart beats almost eliminated.  However, in researching Thal I see iron retention is clearly an issue.  Is it safe for Thal minors to take iron?

I read your post on supplement advice and intend to follow it.

Thank you

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 04:36:00 AM »

Dear Andy,

Before discover that I am thal minor in my pregnancy time doctor advice me some rich iron food for grow up my Hb.That time my Hb was 9.00.Its my starting Hb after pregnancy but when it goes to 7 then doctor adviced for electrophoresis and found thal minor.But still I am taking such rich iron foods which she was adviced... :happyyes

Is rich iron food harmful for thal minor.I am taking every food with or without rich iron.Beef is my favorite and specially take many vegetables which are so much rich in iron.Will it be harmful for me.....
Lokkhi Maa

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 02:52:20 PM »
If a thal minor has iron deficiency, it is perfectly safe to take iron supplements. Steve, one way to know if your iron is low is to take iron for a short period, no more than one month for the trial. If symptoms improve, it shows you needed iron. A diet rich in iron is preferred over supplements for the long term.
Andy

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »
Thank you Andy.  I notice a difference within a day or two of taking an iron supplement.  My primary symptom, rapid or intense heart beats after eating anything, or during physical exertion, are greatly diminished when taking iron. Strangely, bowel movement when taking the iron supplement are considerably more regular and "normal". 

Would all this seem to indicate an iron deficiency? 

I will attempt augment my diet with more iron rather than taking the supplement.

Again, thank you.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:16:33 PM »
Yes, especially with symptoms changing so quickly. It's also quite good that it hasn't constipated you, as that is quite common, regardless if whether or not deficiency is present. Adjusting your diet to make sure you get iron rich foods is recommended. Vitamin C also aids in iron absorption from foods.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk