Cortisol Levels in Thalassemia Minors

• 6 Replies
Cortisol Levels in Thalassemia Minors
« on: June 03, 2010, 05:17:15 AM »
I was reading this study that people with thalassemia have low cortisol levels.
That could explain a lot of my symptoms like joint pain, sleepiness, bad response to stress, hypoglycemic symptoms, etc.
I ve been taking liquorice root for the past few months and it has helped quite a bit. Especially with the excessive sleepiness part and the joint pain.
Has anyone done any tests to check?

http://tropej.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/39/1/30
Serum cortisol levels of 100 children 3–10 years old with various haemoglobinopathies were measured. The mean cortisol levels of sickle cell trait, sickle cell disease, ß-thalassemia minor and 2-thalassemia were significantly (P<0.05) lower than those of normal subjects. The decrease in cortisol levels varied from 25 (in the sickle cell trait group) to 57 per cent (in the 2-thalassemia group) of the mean cortisol levels of the control group. These results suggest the presence of hypoadrenalism and its possible association with the indicated haemoglobinopathies.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:37:50 AM by karoloydi »

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Cortisol Levels in Thalassemia Minors
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 05:25:41 AM »
This is really interesting and i will be investigating how will this be affecting other functions. Thanks for sharing

manal

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 05:51:29 AM »
This is really interesting and i will be investigating how will this be affecting other functions. Thanks for sharing

manal

Cortisol is really important in the body.

Firstly it counteracts the effects of insulin. When insulin get secreted in the body cortisol helps to keep the blood sugar levels normal. Its been reported that people with thalassemia usually have low blood sugar. This could be the cause.

Secondly it has anti inflamatory effects by reducing histamine secretion. People with thalassemia regularly complain that they have joint pains. This could also be the problem.

Third, cortisol helps you cope with stress.

Cortisol also controls the sleep cycle. Cortisol levels drops before and while you sleep and raise when you wake up. Low cortisol levels can make you feel sleepy and have low energy. People with thalassemia often report low energy. This is mainly due to low hemoglobin, but the combination of low cortisol could exaggerate the feeling of low energy.

Cortisol also controls your immune system. High levels of cortisol shut down your immune system. So I think low levels of cortisol can cause autoimmune disorders, like allergies. Cortisol also reduces histamine secretion, so it can help with allergies if it gets increased.

It also conrtols blood pressure. Low levels of cortisol can cause low blood pressure.

I have all of the symptoms that correlate with low cortisol.
I have joint pains, excess sleepiness, Hypoglycemic symptoms, sneezing all the time, low blood pressure, cant cope with stress.

Best supplements to take for low cortisol are ginseng (I think siberian and asian) and licorice.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 06:07:43 AM by karoloydi »

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 07:11:40 AM »
Thats really valueable information,i have all these symptoms except joint pains,don't know why doctors don't mention any such thing  :dunno .

Thanks for sharing :) .

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Prets

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 05:19:13 PM »
My cortisol was very high -   :-)  I had to do a suppression test to rule out cushings disease.

Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

Offline Moik

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:44:25 PM »
Mine was a little high as well

Offline Danny.H

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 05:50:58 AM »
I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue had none cortisol at that point I was extremely tired.
Lack of cortisol was addressed and almost normal  but felt realy tired again so the doctor asked  to take CoQ10 3 times a day and to try exercise to help with oxygenation .
Daniela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk