antibodies issue

• 2 Replies

Offline komal

antibodies issue
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:19:37 PM »
Hi  Andy
   Since  last  month  my  Hb  is  dropping  very  rapidly,befor  transfusion  my  hb  was  8.4  so  i  got  transfusion.After  1  week    I  checked  it  was  again  8.4,normally  i  got  transfusion  in  15  days  and  hb  remains  9.8.
Doctor  advised  me  for  antibody  screaning.I  have  RH+1  antibody.
my  Hep   B  and  Hep  C  are  clear.
kindly  give  your  views    about  this,how  to  treat  it?
Komal 

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: antibodies issue
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:30:19 PM »
Hi Komal,

This is an antibody reaction and at some point, most transfusing thals will be affected by an antibody reaction. The best defense against these reactions is thorough cross matching of the blood and use of leukocyte filters to filter out white blood cells. Once you have a reaction, it is common to just observe and see if it clears out on its own, which will happen in most cases. If the reaction persists, treatment may be a steroid, prednisone or IVIG. For now, you will probably have to wait and see if your transfusion schedule goes back to normal. Make sure a blood filter is used.

For more on these reactions, see http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/134958-overview
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
Re: antibodies issue
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:11:21 PM »
@Andy & Komal,
hmm.. this year in may same thing happened to me ... on Tuesdayday-May-3th, i had a tx at hb of  9.5 .. and on Friday-May-7th , they had a plan to shot the package for Thalassemia day so they called me and asked me to come and have another Tx on Friday , so, i went for Another Tx just bcoez they called me otherwise on 3th-May my pre-Tx Hb was good enoguh to keep the interval of 2 weeks.... when i wentthere on Friday and had a Tx after that when the lab incharge told me my Hb i was aa lil shocked .. he told that my Hb was 9.8 just after having a Tx 4 days ago, on pre-tx Hb of 9.5  .. i was really shocked i went in lab and talked to lab incharge and told him all that i have a tx 4 days ago n my pre-tx hb was 9.5  and now its 9.8 how's this possible ?? .. he told me that" i will re-check it on other machine in night , so, call me in night to confirm that" ... i i sent him SMS around 11PM him in night and then after a few hours he replied me and said Hb was 9.6 ... when i next time i went for tx he said me again that my hb was 9.6 in 2nd test on other machine ( mayb 1st test was auto-matic machine and 2nd one was done manualy .. but onething for sure that he told me he will check it on other machine ) ... so with both machines and both methods ( manual and automatic ) my hb was around 9.6-9.8 ... i was worried alot at that  time, but thanx God  i never had any experienced like that much severe Hb drop ( but slight hb drops than usualy it does are normal i think ... ) ...  i think hp drop cud b a reason or symptom of slight Fever that caused by anything ( for e.g high Iron levels as well, but,  i m sure that isn't wat happened in my case in my recent experience of May-7th, cause my S.fe was below 1000 at that time so it could b becoze of anything else in my case )...
i remember when my iron level was in high range always warm hands and body and always slight fever was a common thing at that times 99+ fever was a usual thing for  me and i was used to it ... logic behind why i m saying this is Fever isn't an ailment it is the symptom/indication of infection or ailment , and in fever your hb drops quickly ....      wat do u say Andy ??  ...

@ Andy,
wat do u say, Andy ??  ...

i hope i wrote sumthing relevant to topic... :) ...
---------------------------
its just to wat i gone through and its wat i epxerienced .. m writing this ccoze m not an experty i could b wrong as well :) ... Andy and all other senior members , please correct me if i m wrong :) ...

Best Regards
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk