Where are you from?

• 30 Replies

Offline Laura

Where are you from?
« on: July 09, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »
Hello Everybody,

I studied tourism and I try to travel as much as I can. I like traveling and knowing new people from different places.

I'm quite curious on where are you all from and on what is the think or the place you like the most from your country or city.

I'm from Sabadell which is close to Barcelona (Spain). I like my city but I really appreciate it for being so close to Barcelona. I enjoy Sagrada Familia, the beach and the Magic Fountain of Montjuic.

Kisses,

Laura.
The most important thing in life is not what you achieve but the fact of fighting for it.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Where are you from?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:08:19 PM »

This topic is really interesting. I am from Egypt. I live in the capital, Cairo.

I like the people and as for the places, there are many: white and black desert, the river Nile, cities on the Red sea,....

Laura
Since you like tourism and think you should plan visitng us here as Luxor (a city in the south) has one third of the world's monuments

manal

Offline Madhavi

• Mohanish....a divine blessing!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:31:28 AM »
Hey Laura...nice topic....and interesting too...Often I saw so many of us havent mentioned where they are from and was curious...!

I am basically from India. I have been born and brought up in the commercial capital of India-Bombay, now Mumbai. The tours that are organised to show a visitor this city are normally full of the beach visits, an aquarium, a museum, a few temples, the Indian film industry sights, government buildings... But to me, Bombay is always about its people. Those who are always in a hurry to get to school, work, not miss their local train or bus...encounter the crowds along the way...It is about the millions of people who are always craving for more...are never satisfied...Bombay has always been welcoming people from all over India...from labourers to top officers..to foreigners. There is no place for Bombay to expand but it still makes place for some more everyday...There is everything there is to see in Bombay-remnants of the British rule, businessmen, people from each professional stream, of each financial strata...It boasts of having the Indian stock market as also the biggest slum in Asia(it was very close to my medical school!!!).On google, Mumbai is shown with the Gateway of India built to welcome British royalty and the Taj Mahal Hotel attack...but Mumbai is sure much more than that...I personally believe that a place is made by the people who inhabit it and the buildings are just a reflection of that life...!

Currently, I am in Guangzhou,China. I have been here since 4 years as I joined my husband who is into the business of sourcing goods over here since a decade. I am glad that I had this opportunity to visit this lovely country. China again seems to be in the news for everything and anything that could harm its fame..But to me it is a very different place. It has been extra special because of Mohanish! The most striking thing here is the industrious nature of the people, their hard work, their sincerity, how prompt and punctual they are...
What I found interesting is the use of their national language everywhere too..This is a shocker, believe me, for someone who has been brought up in a country with the British 'legacy' left behind....We were brought up thinking that English is the universal language and the one who was not well versed with it could not achieve anything...Hey, people, come to China! And of course this is also the case in many European and North American countries as well...
Surprisingly, India and China are both said to be developing countries...I am not sure they both fall into the same category any more...!

What I love about India is that it is my yesterday-it has my life of 27 years which is all about my family, my friends, my identity....It is a treasure trove of memories...of things close to my heart...an inseparable part of my soul...
What I love about China is that it is my today and I want to make it my tomorrow....It has been my window to the whole new world that exists beyond India.....!

About other places in India....I have been lucky enough to visit a few states other than my parent state, Maharashtra- Jammu and Kashmir,New Delhi,Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Sikkim, Gujarat,Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerela and Tamil Nadu. They are of various geographical locations and landscapes...I have enjoyed the dry heat of a place, the humid beaches of another, the greenery of farms..to the clear blue skies behind snow clad mountains.....I have visited the Taj Mahal also, but I was too young then to be able to tell you more about that experience....I was about 6 years old then and it did not mean much except that it was a very famous place to be in! :wink
Architecturally a place that struck me was the Delwara temples in Mount Abu, Rajasthan. They were built in two stages and the difference in the skills of the two generations of craftsmen is evident...even minute details like the finger nails of the musicians in the sculptures is remarkable...Beaches anywhere and everywhere have a lure too...but best when there is no one but you staring at the waves lashing in and the sounds of nature playing their superb symphony just for your ears....!

I seem to have been going on and on and on....Will try to write more later and mail it to whoever would want to read more!!!! :rotfl

Hope we can all share our stories about our countries here...
Waiting to read from all.....

Love,
Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 08:45:45 PM »
Wonderful idea, Laura.

I live in the US in upstate New York in Rochester, which borders Lake Ontario. I am blessed to live close to two natural wonders of the world, Niagara Falls and Letchworth Park. Both are within a 90 minute drive. Niagara Falls is an incredible wonder and a most beautiful place. The water from the Great Lakes flows through Lake Erie, into the Niagara river and then over the falls, through magnificent rapids and then into Lake Ontario. Letchworth is called the Grand Canyon of the East and was formed by glaciers which cut a gorge through what is now the park. The walls of the gorge are as high as 500 feet and are treacherous in some areas. It seems that some fool dies there every year by not respecting the awesome dangers of the gorge and plunging hundreds of feet to his death. Just this past week, we heard of one more young man who found his fate at the bottom of the gorge. Nature is magnificent but despite our human egos, it is still our master. Hiking in the park can be an easy walk or an adventure into woods and down risky hills. When I was much younger, I was part of a group that hiked far down the falls at Wolf Creek. When I look at it now, the hike seems quite impossible and it may always be a mystery how we were able to go as far down as we did. I find Letchworth to be a magnificent place where Mother Nature can be felt and experienced in ways not found in most places. Both Letchworth and Niagara Falls can be considered to be places of power on earth. Through the gorge runs the Genesee River which later flows through my city before also emptying into Lake Ontario.

I have been fortunate enough to have some travels while doing my thal related work. I have seen the incredible beauty of the Maldives and am heart broken every time I hear of the politics that threatens this wonderful place. I could sit and stare at the ocean daily. I have also traveled to Dubai three times, India twice and Singapore once. Dubai and Singapore both have their attractions and I really like Dubai a lot, but both places are primarily man made and do not affect me the same as seeing the beauties of nature.

In India, I have visited Pune, Mumbai, Delhi and Amritsar. I have been to the Taj hotel in Mumbai and was distraught that any mind could be so distorted as to attack this beautiful place. I have visited the Golden Temple in Amritsar and found it to be an incredible place of power. Interestingly, I found the water surrounding the Temple to be where I felt the incredible power of the place. It was undeniable and I had an experience there that is very private but intensely real. I wish I fully understood what happened and if anyone knows of any special significance that a flaming sword has in Indian lore and mythology, I would very much appreciate all information. My ultimate destiny may very well be tied to what happened there, whether in this life or one yet to come.

On my Facebook page, I wrote "Life is a series of adventures tied together by the mundane." Each step we take, each place we visit, are adventures awaiting us if only we open ourselves to what we find. I seldom look through the eyes of a tourist, but as one who has been blessed to see something that has been offered by creation. Take each step boldly and become one with all that we are offered. Everyone looks upward to God in Heaven, but please also never forget our Mother Nature that provides the possibility of our very lives here on earth. Treat our Mother with the reverence deserved and do not despoil her.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Laura

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:35:27 PM »
Hello!!

Thanks for your replies!

I'll write again when I have more time cause now I'm at work and I can't write as much as I would like.

Kisses,

Laura.
The most important thing in life is not what you achieve but the fact of fighting for it.

Offline Laura

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:58:58 AM »
Hello from the beach!!!

I'm in Torrevieja (Alicante) at the moment. It is a region on the east coast of Spain. There is not much to see or do in here but it is a very good place to relax. There's a city in the area that I love a lot: Elche. It is a city near Alicante. It has "El Palmeral" which is a palm forest which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. If you want to see some pictures of know more you can enter this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmeral_of_Elche

About the rest of the country, I've been to the south and the center. Córdoba, Cádiz, Sevilla and the Alhambra in Granada are fantastic. Alhambra is another World Heritage Site in Spain. It is a palace and fortress complex constructed during the mid 14th century by the Moorish rulers of the Emirate of Granada in Al-Andalus, occupying the top of the hill of the Assabica on the southeastern border of the city of Granada. It is absolutely worthvisiting. I've been there only once and I want to repeat as soon as possible.  If you want to know more, you can have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhambra. I've also been to Zaragoza three or four times. El Pilar (Basilica of Our Lady of the Pillar) is a cathedral which is hugh and completely worthseeing.  You can know more in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Our_Lady_of_the_Pillar. As for Madrid, it is a very nice city. There is a lot of places to visit there, a lot of theatres and a lot of bars to eat some tapas. I've never been to the north of Spain but for what I've seen in photos, videos and tv programmes, it is quite similar to England. I mean, there's green everywhere and it rains barely everyday. If you want to know more, you can visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantabrian_Sea and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Spain).

I hope that my next trip inside my country  will be "El camino de Santiago" which goes from Catalonia (my region) to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia. This path should be done on feet but , as I can't do it that way because of Thal, I want to do it by car. You know, Thal is not going to stop me from doing what I want, it just modify the way of doing it. I you want to know more you can visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_St._James#Routes.

Hope to know more about your countries.

Kisses,

Laura.

Offline Moik

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 09:28:40 PM »
HELLOOO

I am from Kansas City Missouri USA

I moved to Florida for 2 years on a business venture but due to the economy came back north

I miss it there and perhaps some day will return

Doctors around these parts know very little about Thal...this has very much surprised me..that all my life the word has yet reach the dr's about this in my area

That is why it is so important to do what we can as a group and individuals to raise awareness about this condition
For the obvious reasons on top of what doctors have misdiagnosed dangerously as being an iron deficiency in some cases

Offline Nur

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »
Hello all,

This is such an interesting topic. I wish i had found it earlier so that i can tell you about my place a long time ago. I like to travel so this topic is very much my interest.

I am from Malaysia. Malaysia have 14 states and i live in the state of Kedah. In the upper part of Malaysia. I have been to all states in Malaysia except for Sabah. Each state is different in it own way. There are places that are rich in culture and arts, some are rich in nature with beaches or mountains, some are famous for their food or like my place, it's a place full of paddy fields. We had just passed rainy season and the weather is going to get hot and humid until May. this makes perfect for the paddy plant to grow. And during these time, the view is wonderful with all the green and gold fields as far as the eyes can see.

I live in the only 5 minutes from the city. Although it is a city, it is not as busy as the capital. The people here is really laid back and have more time between work and family. We are close to Thailand and sometimes in the weekend we would go to the boarder and went to Thailand to do a bit of shopping. Or if i'm feeling a little adventurous, we would go to the waterfalls for a picnic. Langkawi island is nearby too and i would go there occasionally for a holiday. This island is very beautiful with it's nature, history and the beach is most popular amongst international tourist.

Like India, Malaysia was once under British ruler. Some of the buildings still dated back to that era and mostly are ver well preserved until this day. Most of Malaysian do speak English apart from our national language which is Malay.

Like Andy and some of my friends here in Thalpal, I have the opportunity to visit some other countries as well. When i was ten years old, My family moved to Australia and we stayed there for 2 years before coming back home. Other than that, I have been to Cyprus, Dubai, Thailand (Bangkok and Cheingmai) and several trips to Singapore. Some of it because of Thal related things.

It is nice to have friend all over the world. If any of you come here, let me know and i could show you around.

Nur

Offline Joe_H

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »
Hi great idea

I'm from iraq and live in iraq too

Offline Dori

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 09:41:50 PM »
Laura,
I would love to meet you and travel together :) I can't write more #examtomorrow I have always loved geograpy so much! I stick my nose every day in an atlas.

Joe_H: how is treatment now in Iraq? I have some healthy iraqi friends so I have no idea.

Offline Novita

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 03:11:34 AM »
Hiii allll

this is wonderful idea since i'm new in here....

I come from Indonesia n live in Surabaya (second biggest city aside Jakarta). Has anyone been in Indonesia?
I used to study for 2 years in Holland, without any doubt Holland is very nice country and worth to visit :)
I love travelling also, we can share alot in this thread. Thanks to Laura for this...

I hope I can get to know all of you and making new friends also :)
Regards,

Novita
Be Strong... Be Positive... Trust on God n Everything will be Alrite

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 03:59:28 AM »
I'm from Western Canada:)
Sharmin

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 08:50:44 PM »
I am from Eastern Canada, province of ontario (Yours to discover)

http://www.ontariotravel.net/TCISSegmentsWeb/main.portal?language=EN

Feel free to browse the link above.
Regards.

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »
I am from Tamil Nadu, India
 :flowers :angel2

Offline Dori

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 11:15:14 AM »
Hiii allll

this is wonderful idea since i'm new in here....

I come from Indonesia n live in Surabaya (second biggest city aside Jakarta). Has anyone been in Indonesia?
I used to study for 2 years in Holland, without any doubt Holland is very nice country and worth to visit :)
I love travelling also, we can share alot in this thread. Thanks to Laura for this...

I hope I can get to know all of you and making new friends also :)

Where have you study and where? I have an Indonesian friend who studied here and then fell in love and stayed...  Nice to meet you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk