New and tired of being tired

• 3 Replies

Offline jlmtigers

New and tired of being tired
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:25:45 PM »
Hi Ya'll
I am new to this forum and newly diagnosed with B Thal Minor.  I always knew I had it because it runs in the female line in my fam.  It took a long time to get a doctor to actually run the test.  They never took it seriously until I had my baby boy.  I married a man of S Italian heriage and it was only after my baby was born that I looked into Thalassemia.  When I learned that 2 minors can make a major I flipped out!  Luckily my hubby is neg.

So I am tired all the time and have always been this way as far back as I can remember.  My question is:  How can I keep myself at the best possible energy level.  My doctor barely knows what Thal is less what I can do to feel better.  I have a toddler and would like to keep up.  I am fit, eat healthy, and exercise when I have the energy.  However, most of my energy goes into toddler play.

Any suggestions?  Greatly appreciated!

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: New and tired of being tired
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 07:21:31 PM »
Hello,

And welcome on the forum :welcomewagon Funny how i was thinking the same today,that i am tired of being tired :) i am a thal minor too.

Thal minors often complain of tiredness,contrary to what doctors say we are not totally asymptomatic,there are a couple of things that help,do you know what your hb level is? Do you take any supplements?

B vitamins help a lot and do give you energy,especially folic acid is a must,plus if you do not get much sunlight on regular basis,you should get your Vitamin D levels checked,i live in a pretty warm and sunny area but mine was way too low,and starting vitamin D supplement helped me a lot with my energy levels.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any questions you have in mind.:)

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline jlmtigers

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:48:14 PM »
Thank you Zaini,

I have found a lot of very helpful information on this site.  About 1 week ago I started taking a 1200Ca/800D supplement as well as a B spectrum vitamin with folic acid and vitamin C.  I have to say I feel markedly better now than 1 week ago.

I have 2 questions:
1)  To get my bloodwork done should I see a Hematologist or an Endocrinologist?  Both have been recomended &
2)  Should I add Magnesium to my supplement intake?

Thank you again!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 12:36:18 AM »
Hi jlmtigers,

Because calcium and magnesium work together to control the function of the heart, magnesium should be taken with calcium. Vitamin D should also continue to be taken, as it is needed to absorb calcium and many other nutrients. Cal/mag is usually recommended in a 2:1 ratio.

A hematologist with at least a basic understanding of thalassemia, would be best to see. You want to make sure your doctors all realize that iron does not help thal minor, and shouldn't be taken unless iron deficiency is also demonstrated through an iron panel of tests. I would recommend a vitamin D test along with a complete blood count. If iron deficiency is also suspected, the iron panel should also be done.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk