gaining weight
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:51:31 AM »
what one should eat to gain weight pls help i am 19 yrs old and only 35 kg

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
Re: gaining weight
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »
please take some kgs from me :(

2 bananas and a glass of milk every day in morning helps in gaining weight :)
-Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:43:32 PM »
banana has lots of iron do you take :-\ :-\

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »
Bananas are very good for thals - the iron is non heme iron (plant source) - which is not as readily stored by the body as heme iron (from meat sources). 

Eating calorie dense foods will help in weight gain.  Cheese and nuts will help you put weight on. 

Best,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Bobby

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 01:59:47 PM »
I struggle to gain weight. After finally making my goal of 190lbs, I started avoiding sugary foods and in a couple weeks dropped back down to 185lbs. Along with eating alot, lifting weights was the biggest factor in my weight gain.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »
A medium size banana has only about 3/10 mg of iron. Not high at all and bananas are very nutritious, so eat up.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 07:40:29 AM »
can i daily eat 1 banana to gain weight :dunno

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 03:19:58 PM »
Oh my,i wish i can give you so many extra kgs i am unable to get rid of :sigh as others said things like bananas and nuts will help,one more thing is mango,if its available to you.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 04:02:36 PM »
Ankita,

You can eat as many bananas as you like. The amount of iron is very low and not a problem.
Andy

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »
Ankita ,
 :welcome2 ....  hmm.. i m not sure but i think you must b careful of using sweet things and dishes IF your Ferritin is in Danger level ( more than 5000 or 7000 ) bcoze i think that it could b not good for you in that case ....when i was in your age i had the same weight as your's ...  i remember at that time my ferritin level was in high ranges and one doctor ( a local GP ) told me to eat everything and eat some DESI (traditional) food  and sugested me to eat and he told me to eat CHORI ( i dont know if you knwo that thing or not but its a traditional food ingredients , lots of sugar and a few spoon of DESI GHEE and ROTI mix that all togather and that bcomes chori  )  and to eat Pratha and all that kind of things that mostly Pehlwan ( wrestlers ) eat like Badaam (Almonds) crushed in milk and etc...etc...  he wanted to see me gaining weight and some fats and to make me look healthy ..... as my Ferritin was in high range at those time and liver was almost killed by Ferritin, so,   unfortunately i caught by Diabetes :D :biggrin but then i went to another city and another doc and then it took a long time to come out of to all the things bad happened to me at those times .. but now ii'm fine now ,, my Ferritin is within 500 and weight 48 kgs   ....
so , the point i want to make is to be carefull with any Sugary/sweet stuff if your Ferritin is in high range ... i m not saying that banana is sumthing like that kind of stuff or not to eat banana, i just trying to say that if you want to gain weight you'll need some extra efforts with your diet plan and food intake so in first place control your Ferritin level  and then you'll see the things changing automaticaly and easily .... otherwise in case your liver is full of iron and you start trying to gain weight and start eating so much for that it will burden your pancrease and in case of low immunity level due to iron that burden could b danggerous and your pancreas could b vulnerable to anything bcoze of load of iron and food .....

wat do u say , Andy ??? .. m i right ???? ... please correct me if i m wrong ... :)

please dont mind if you find anything distrubing in my post .. also let me know abt that if you find distrurbing in it ..

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »
Umair makes a good point. When your ferritin is quite high, problems with the pancreas and diabetes becomes more likely, so do watch what you eat. Avoid heavily processed foods with little nutrition.

Ankita, please work hard on chelation. A combination of desferal and Kelfer would be best at this point, and Kelfer can increase the appetite, so you may also gain weight.
Andy

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 10:56:04 PM »
hi my fe is 7000 now t have started taking 1000 mg/day (kelfer) should i go for combination therapy or continue same .any suggestions
Ankita,
in-case you should b really careful .... and onething ... your Kelfer dose doesn't match to your full dose of Kelfer .... at the time i weighed 35 kg my Ferriprox ( ferriprox , kelfer and ferrinil are same drugs) dose was 3500mg  =  7 Pills of 500mg a day .. that is 100mg/kg dose  ... once when i touched 50kg mark my doc advised me to take 10 tablets  but now i m weigh 4 kg and taking 9 tablets of 500mg  a day.....
 you are currently on 30mg/kg dose and you can ask your doctor to slowly increase your dose upto 100mg/kg  IF you dont have any serious probleme like agranulocytosis (very low levels of a type of white blood cell) or Neutropenia (low levels of a type of white blood cell) .... consult your doctor in-case you want to increase your Kelfer Dose ....

Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline eesha

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:06:11 PM »
i have this problem, i am just under 7st, and i can feel my bomes sticking out, i really want to put weight on, i eat a lot of fatty foods and cheese but nothing works, i dont know if this is due to my coeliac.

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
how old  r u eesha

Offline eesha

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
i am 25

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk