Bone Deformation

• 3 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Bone Deformation
« on: August 26, 2006, 12:20:59 AM »
Dear all

Can we predict bone deformation before it happens?? I mean if their is facial deformation for example, does the face hurts or bruses start to appear ?? Does it happen gradually or suddenly?

Does transfusion repair what is being deformed or it just prevent it??????

Thanks

Manal

Offline Poirot

Re: Bone Deformation
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 06:41:17 AM »
You need to keep a watch on whether the bone marrow is being overworked.  This is what makes the bones expand and brittle, and potentially causes deformation too. The Reticulocyte count is a good indicator for this.

In any case, you may want to consider calcium supplements, right from the start.

Poirot

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 07:30:47 AM »
Well, I guess the deformation of the teeth can be fixed by wearing braces?!? :dunno :huh
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 08:27:03 PM »
Thanks Sajid.

Poirot,  Do you know at what percentage of  the Ret. count the bones start to deform???

Last month when my son HB was 6.4 his Ret count was 9 then after one week it was 3.  After one month when his HB dropped to 5.5, his ret count became 6.9

I know all readings are high than the normal range because of the thal, but what is the highest reading after which you expect deformation.????

By the way, when we knew about the thal the doctor gave him calcuim, vitamin D and B12 to be taken forever

Manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk