Eye opening experience . . .

• 23 Replies

Offline Hallu

Re: Eye opening experience . . .
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 06:14:47 PM »
Bobby,
That's a good news. Splenectomy is always a difficult decision to make as there are tradeoffs either way.
I think a history of Hgb and health are few factors that count in while making this decision.

--Hallu

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 08:16:39 AM »
Hi Bobby,

Man, you really need to take care of that spleen. The last thing you want is getting it ruptured or damaged in sports. Work hard on Desferal to remove iron and decrease the size of the spleen.

Take care

Peace.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline namitha

• Drop of Life!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 10:48:32 AM »
Hi,

I have a query. After spleenectomy when I was 5, the doctors told me that I have to be careful as I can't make out tiredness. I don't know if it's scientifically proved or not, because I do make out when I am tired. And is pencillin compulsory. I used to take erythromycin as a kid, but not anymore.

Regards,
Namitha
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann's Desiderata

Offline jzd24

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 08:47:21 PM »
Hi Namitha,
     I had my spleen out and my doctor did not have me take antibiotics. I had my spleen out when I was in my 40's, and I don't know if it matters when you have it out. What did your doctor mean about being tired, that you wouldn't know when you had to rest?  Jean

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006, 09:17:28 PM »
Hi Jean,

I'm curious if you have any problems with simple infections like colds. So many people who have had splenectomies are on daily antibiotics. But from what I saw with Lisa, I don't know how much good it does. She frequently ended up in the emergency room with even a cold because she would get high fevers. Since overuse of antibiotics can make germs resistant, it makes me wonder about daily use. Do you see any higher rate of infection or complication from colds and flu than you did before your splenectomy?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 10:52:04 PM »
It's out! Hello everyone. I was released from the hospital 3 days ago. Had surgery on 9-19-06 and they kept me for 6 funfilled days. Surgeon said operation was an hour long and everything went fine, we were worried my spleen might have grown togther w/my pancreas, since it was so large. I had my gall bladder out 20 yrs. ago and I would say the pain levels are about the same. Pretty rough the first few days. I have a 25 cm vertical incision. I can definately feel that it is gone. It has taken awhile to get my appetite back, I get hungry but can't eat as much. They said my hemoglobin went up already 1 or 2 pts. And platlet count is up too. I now take an aspirin/day to thin my blood. Supposedly, 1 of the bigger ones they had seen, so I'm glad it's out. Doctor says neumo vaccination shot/yearly, no daily anti-biotics. I will keep you guys posted once I get more blood work done next week. Talk to you later.

Jamie

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 05:22:08 AM »
Jamie,

Good to hear things went well with the surgery. Keep us posted on what hemoglobin levels you maintain.

I am curious why some splenectomy patients get the PneumoVax vaccine but other patients are prescribed  daily antibiotics. Anyone know why?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline jzd24

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 03:48:02 PM »
Andy,
     I was always sick a lot my whole life; a simple cold would take weeks to get over, etc. Then when my spleen got so huge, I couldn't walk across the room without being completely short of breath. After I had it out, I felt better, but slowly started getting sick a lot again with infections. After six years of this, I was so sick all the time, that I was on antibiotics almost all the time. I did not think I could even go back to teaching after the summer. Then I finally started on regular monthly transfusions and my health has improved dramatically. I just don't get infections like I used to do. I am much, much healthier because of the transfusions, and because the spleen is out. I think if you don't have to take antibiotics all the time, it is better, so you can use them when you really need them.
      Of course there's always some crazy medical things happening with me. Two weekends ago I got sick on the morning I was going in for my transfusion. I had gone 5 weeks instead of 4, and I always seem to get into trouble if I do that. My hemoglobin was not exteremely low though, 10.4. I ended up in the emergency room getting IV fluids, while they checked me out. My hemoglobin had gone up to 10.9, and they couldn't find anything wrong with me except my usual weird blood. i was extremely weak, nauseated, and dehydrated. I drink a lot of liquids, but I get dehydrated easily. I have been told hemoglobin readings go up when a person is dehydrated. Anyway, I finally got my transfusion, and it took 3 days to get my strength back. I don't know what that was all about.
     So, a long answer to a short question! I think getting a really enlarged spleen out, and starting regular blood transfusions are two important things for thal intermedias as they get older.  Maybe not in all cases, but it was in my case. Take care, Jean 

Offline namitha

• Drop of Life!
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 08:25:33 AM »
Hi all,

Jamie am I glad you are fine and getting back to normal. Jean the doctors at Lausanne said I cannot perceive tiredness and it was true till I was about 13 or so. I had my spleen removed at the age of 5. I could never figure out when I was tired and when to stop playing like crazy. I used to play a lot when I was a kid  :smile2 I am thankful I didnt miss out on the games and all the fun. I really am grateful I led a more than normal life till my freak accident. But I am trying to bounce back to my old days. Sorry I digressed. I used to come down with tonsilitis if I had ice creams or something subzero like that. Otherwise I was fine. I really did not take penicillin, only erythrocin every three months till I was 13. BTW I must add that I did not need transX for two years after spleenectomy. My Hb was always 11 or 11.4. Then it came down to 9 and then I restarted transX again  :mad My Hb even now never dips below 8.5 even if I don't get transfused at all. But I am young and energetic so I need more energy. I take trans every 2 months and maintain my Hb at around 9-9.5.

I am somewhat grateful I've never had hospital episodes or hospitalization or crises except my leg break which was my own making. I have a penchant for creating trouble and getting into accidents. In November 2004, I fractured my little finger when I took a fall from the two wheeler. Oh well, that's me for you  :banghead

As Jean says, spleenectomy and regular trans are the two important things for inters.

Regards,
Namitha
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann's Desiderata

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk