IRON QUESTION

• 6 Replies
IRON QUESTION
« on: October 21, 2010, 01:20:54 AM »
I have Beta-Thalassemia- Minor and my Hemoglobin are at 9.9 and I was wondering can i consume natural iron, if so whats safe? i am also anemic with an iron deficiency

thank you

krystal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: IRON QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 02:39:38 AM »
If you have had an iron panel of tests that confirms iron deficiency, you can take iron until your anemia is corrected. However, iron can be harsh on the digestive system, so please know for sure that you have iron deficiency before taking supplements. 15-20 mg iron daily is a standard dosage. Some forms of iron may be easier on the digestive system, so it may take trying more than one type to find something that suits you.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 02:46:10 AM »
I do indeed have an iron deficiency, and i don't want to take supplements I want to consume it through foods i eat... but at what percent of a daily value should i consume?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 02:13:25 PM »
It would be very difficult if not impossible to say how much of certain foods you should consume, as absorption rates vary greatly from person to person. You just need to concentrate on eating foods high in iron. Meat contains heme iron, which is more readily absorbed. Plant foods contain non-heme iron, which is not absorbed as readily, so it can take longer to correct iron deficiency by using plant foods alone, but it can be done. Umair has posted a short list of iron rich foods at
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2415.msg21477#msg21477
Andy

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 11:33:01 PM »
I have another question. I had a HIDA SCAN on the 18th and it came back normal yet I have a distended gallbladder. like today i ate mash potatos and water, and hot water with homey and a bit of chocolate and my side is hurting me... I dont know what to do about it

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 04:03:15 PM »
I would suggest not eating chocolate until your gallbladder is showing no signs of distension. Chocolate is one of the foods that can set off gallbladder attacks. Have you previously had problems with gallstones?
Andy

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 03:41:44 AM »
I've never had gallstones of any sort. I have had kidney stones in 04'. My hida scan came back normal yet the pain still comes when i eat certain foods. I have been keeping a food journal for about a year now, because i face constipation I just want to find whats going on and I want to correct the iron deficiency as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk