Growth and Bone Density - Vitamin D and Zinc

• 1 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Growth and Bone Density - Vitamin D and Zinc
« on: December 10, 2010, 05:55:22 AM »
We were told in Oakland that vitamin D and zinc - each on their own contribute to growth in thalassemia. 
When taken in combination they have a greater effect.  This applies also to bone density.

With some increase in vitamin D little A experienced increase in bone density.  He was in low normal range in 2009 - and in 2010 his bone density was even better.  Since our last visit, he has taken 50,000IU of vitamin D for 6 weeks - and he is now on a maintenance dose (I give him 3000IU a day).  He is also on 50mg of zinc every second day.  With this combination we are hoping to see a further increase in bone density.  Since taking this combination his height has increased from 136cm to 138.2cm from August 20th to December 8th.  We hope to see a lot of growth before our appointment in August. 

I highly recommend this to all thals. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline joyce

• with my baby jovy..
Re: Growth and Bone Density - Vitamin D and Zinc
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »
Hello Sharmin..

can you please advise me what is the ideal amount of Vitamin D and Zink to be given to children age 19 months and 28 months old? im thinking of giving it to both of my son but i don't know what is the function of these vitamins and what is the correct amount to be given to them. please help me.

Thanks- Joyce.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk