Male fertility

• 8 Replies

Offline dlevy

Male fertility
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:43:27 AM »
Hey! It's been a while ... but I'm glad to see people are still posting, as I really find this site to be a very useful resource. I looked briefly thorough the topics in this section already, but found that most issues relate to thal and female fertility (i.e. - women trying to get pregnant) ... but what about fertility issues with men. Is it possible for men to have children with thal major or does the iron completely destroy one's endocrine system's ability to produce viable sperm? Does anyone know of any older guys (in their 20s or 30s) with thal major who were able to conceive their own children? I know alternatives exist, but would like to know if I may be able to have my own biological children. Thanks.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Male fertility
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 06:07:47 AM »
Hi David,

Yes, there are plenty of thal major men who are fathers and I know of one who also became a grandfather during the thal conference in Singapore in 2008. If fertility has been affected by iron overload, testosterone injections are often used to restore male fertility. If there is still gland function, eliminating the iron overload can also restore fertility.

And a message for all future parents who are thals. Keeping your iron load under control is an absolute obligation to your children.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 02:08:45 AM »
This topic is very important for male thal patients - and of great interest to me as a parent of a male thal patient.  I know a male thal in his late 20s - he has 2 healthy children.  I am very happy for him and it gives me a lot of hope for my son. 

I think that thals have a lot to live for these days.  Just keep chelating and life will keep getting better. 

I completely agree with Andy:
And a message for all future parents who are thals. Keeping your iron load under control is an absolute obligation to your children.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 04:15:03 AM »
When I wrote that little note, I suddenly realized its true importance and added it to the rotating notes that are found at the top right corner of the page. As a parent, I understand what the obligation of a parent entails and staying alive has to be number one.
Andy

Offline Poirot

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:01:21 PM »
Hi David,

I have two (now teenage!) daughters. Thalassaemia affects sperm production and reproductive growth if your pituitary glands are affected by iron deposits - so, as Andy mentioned, it is vitally important to ensure that your iron levels are under control and Serum Ferritin levels are below 1000, preferably.

Some haematologists also recommend that additional Human Growth Hormone (Testosterone) injections be taken during the puberty phase, if your growth cycle is below average or iron levels are higher than recommended. Typically, sperm production can also be improved or restored using HGH, if puberty has been successfully completed. However, keep in mind, that if you are into competitive sports, then HGH is a proscribed drug.

I had my kids when I was in my mid-20's - this was on the recommendation of my haematologist, who said it is better to have your children early, if you are planning to have them naturally. It was sound advice, in more ways than one.

Hope that this is useful for you, David, and if you have any further questions, let me know.

Cheers

Poirot

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »
Thanks Poirot. I think we can all say we know someone, but the words have a lot more weight coming from the keyboard of a dad.
Andy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »
Dear All,
Is the drugs like hydrea affect the male ferility?

Dip

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »
Hi Dip,

At the request of Manal, I asked Dr John Wood this question at the NYC conference last year. He told me that hydroxyurea does affect male fertility, but this is reversible once hydroxyurea is stopped.
Andy

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 11:29:59 PM »
To the op

I'm a thal int 31 now w/ a healthy 11 year old son I had no trouble making him  :biggrin

Around 23 we got pregnant again but an accident caused us to loose that pregnancy.

I think you should be okay to make your own son, but I would see a genealogist for the chances of your child having thal.

Good luck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk