Zinc

• 5 Replies

Offline joanne

Zinc
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:13:51 AM »
I started taking 50mg of Zinc per day because I was experiencing hair loss...but I stopped because I wasnt sure if its safe...

Is it ok to take Zinc and how much is enough?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Zinc
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:31:59 AM »
Joanne,

Chelation can deplete zinc levels, so it is often prescribed. However, zinc supplementation at high levels can cause a copper deficiency. You should have your zinc and copper levels checked and then supplement if needed. Has taking zinc lessened the hair loss?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline joanne

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:39:21 AM »
not really Andy..I personally think it may be my TSH which showed a 4.80 whatever that means :)
The range was 0.30 - 5.60

any idea? my thal dr sent me to be tested for antibodies to my thyroid and will have me see an Endocrinologist  next month.

All this is mumbo jumbo to me..I dont really understand it all :(
All I know if Im shedding like a dog

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 02:56:44 AM »
Thyroid is often implicated in hair loss and the normal TSH level is 0.4 - 4.0 mIU/L. Yours is a bit high, which may indicate an under-active thyroid or perhaps Hashimoto's thyroiditis, where the immune system attacks the thyroid. Hence the antibody test. Both conditions are treated by taking a thyroxine supplement daily.

Hair loss reports are very common here among thal minors, and we hear about zinc and low thyroids often. Has anyone reading this found anything that slows hair loss? This is one of the most common complaints we receive from those who do not transfuse, but doctors seem unaware of any connection between hair loss and thalassemia. We have far to many reports here to accept that there isn't a connection, but what is it? What does thal do that causes hair loss? Could it be that low hemoglobin levels themselves are a contributing factor? I would love to hear from anyone who has had any success reversing hair loss.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
i suggest using a mixture of castor oil and almond oil (half and half), apply it on the area where there is hair loss. some people even use it on their eyebrows  to thicken them:)

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 05:46:02 PM »
To avoid hair loss, one needs to have a strong and constant blood circulation to supply the hair roots with nutrients and sufficient oxygenand usually this is not always the case for thals. Also poor diet and depletion of minerals and vitamins do contribute to hair loss.

Personally I used a lotion called sorciere which is made from garlic and it did wonders It helps in stopping hair loss and also promotes hair growth in empty areas. You can find the link below

http://www.kachi.co.jp/SORCIERE/SORCIEREhome.html

Hope this helps
Manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk