GI Problems in Thalassemia Major

• 2 Replies
GI Problems in Thalassemia Major
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:22:49 PM »
I was wondering, what are some GI problems associated with thalassemia?

For the past couple of months I have had yellowish(pale) stools and this has caused me some worry. I also have darker than usual urine, but that is something that I have always had. At first I thought it was fat absorption, so I went on a low fat diet to see if it changed anything. It didn't. I soon moved my theory to Lactose Intolerance, but yet again after a few days of lactose free diet, I learned that it was not.

I don't have any other complications that could possibly be associated with biliary blockage or gallstones, so for now I will rule them out.

I have been to the doctor and they are still running tests on my stools. My ferritin is not in any severe condition, and my liver enzymes are fine. I go for transfusions every three weeks, and am tested for complications when I go.

On a side note, I would like to mention that dealing with doctors is severely annoying, at the end of the day they just want their paychecks. I have found that I know more about Thalassemia than most of them. My doctor is hesitant to refer me to a GI doctor, when I believe that it is necessary. But enough about that.

I am also on Exjade and have been for many years now. On the instructions for Exjade it says that these symptoms should be reported immediately.

It could be the mild jaundice that I have that is creating this pale stool. However, I was under the impression that a higher billirubin would lead to darker stool not lighter ones.

If it is jaundice, am I still fully absorbing the food I intake. I am currently on a bulking diet of about 2600 to 3000 calories daily, but I feel like some of it may not even be absorbed. I also am taking NOW Super Enzymes to help with digestion.

Sorry for my first post here being so long and tedious, but this problem has been really stressing me out lately and I need to have a conversation with people who know what they are talking about rather than these doctors who are simply trying to make a buck.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: GI Problems in Thalassemia Major
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 03:22:41 AM »
Hi Apollo,

Welcome on the forum,you are right,your doctor should refer you to a GI doctor,have you ever tried stopping exjade and then checking if the color changes? if it doesn't then you can at least rule out exjade.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

Re: GI Problems in Thalassemia Major
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »
Yes, first I think about Exjade and second about coelakie.
Dark urine means, most of the times, hemolysis.
Not that I am a doctor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk