Would Genotype Matching of Blood be Cost Effective in the Long Term?

• 1 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
I would like this question posed, specifically to Dr Vichinsky because he is the expert on this topic. Sharmin, if it is possible at some point, can you see that Dr Vichinsky gets a copy of this question? This topic is ignored virtually everywhere, but it affects most patients at some point.

Is genotype matching of blood, in addition to phenotype matching, feasible and in terms of long term care, cost effective? Would the added cost of genotype matching be offset by a reduction in post-transfusion antibody reactions and treatment that may include rituxan, IVIG, increased transfusion frequency, lowered immunity, possible eventual splenectomy and post-splenectomy care and complications and even early death? Can we make this argument to try to convince hospitals and insurance providers that genotype matching will be cost effective in the long term?

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Would Genotype Matching of Blood be Cost Effective in the Long Term?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:50:38 PM »
I truly and sincerely believe that it would.  Although every patient does not get antiibodies - for those who do it can cause a lot of problems.  Especially when you have to add steroids and ritux etc to an otherwise uncomplicated case. 

Also, keeping patients free of antibodies makes procedures like bmt easier - I believe. 

I will speak with Dr. Vichinsky about this.

Sharmin
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk