I carry alpha Thal trait, found that my gf having Thal minor too!

• 24 Replies
Re: I carry alpha Thal trait, found that my gf having Thal minor too!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:47 PM »
both of you are giving me a hope.. real hope.......... thanks......................

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 04:20:24 PM »
Andy,

My doctor friend told me that:
Alpha major: the baby will die before being deliverd
Beta major: no problem for deliver, but need regularly blood transfusion..

is that correct?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
You are talking about the major classification for both alpha and beta thalassemia. That is correct. But without knowing your genetic status of both you and your gf, it is impossible to tell you which scenarios are possible.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Yen

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 01:09:40 AM »
Hi all,

I have the same case with Loy. My bf's blood test shows he is a alpha thal trait and im a beta thal trait. but the report doesnt show which/how many affected gene(s). 

So am I right to say that my next step should be taking the DNA test? what is required for a DNA test?

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 02:27:36 PM »
no worry yen, alpha with beta, no issue at all...... mine is alpha and alpha... so u can go ahead.... happy for u.....

Offline Yen

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 03:55:01 PM »
Thanks Loy. How are you and gf handling this matter?

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »
i am still struggling.. so does she...

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »
When one is alpha minor and the other is beta minor, there is no danger, except when the alpha is the rare triplicated gene. When this is present and mixed with beta minor, an intermedia like condition can result. Also, the beta carrier must be absolutely sure that no silent alpha gene is carried. To be absolutely certain, the beta carrier should have alpha ruled out. Most often this will require a DNA test, which is just a simple blood test. 
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Yen

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »
Thanks Andy. So both bf and i nee to do the DNA test? To test if he have the triplicated genes and im not a silent alpha carrier?

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 06:02:01 PM »
SO bad that i have been dragging the DNA test until now... i was just taken some blood samples for my alpha thalasemia DNA test. and my gf is going to do that soon after i got my report. report will be ready nx week.... pls pray for me that will be a trans- Alpha traits....

Andy, eventhough my report is still in progress, but i have some doubts need some clarification here. do you know what is the soonest time to perform the pre-natal test for pregnancy to rule out whether the baby is affected with thal major or not? and will the result accurate enough?

if the baby is diagnosed with alpha major during pre-natal test, is it advisable for termination rather than continue with the pregnancy as it will harm both baby and mother too? hows the diff between alpha thal major and beta thal major? as i could see most of the sample cases in this forum are from beta....

dillema and worrying... loy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk