A newbie would like all the help she can get

• 1 Replies
A newbie would like all the help she can get
« on: February 21, 2011, 01:38:26 AM »
Hi guys!

It is lovely to meet you all.
I am a 27 year year old asian female.
Its amazing to find a forum like this just for people with Thalassemia! I'm so happy I have found it. For the past 6 years I was kinda in denial about having Thalassemia. I just wanted to fit in like everyone else.
My wakeup call was actually getting a random health check two months ago and I recieved the results saying I had low 09.9 g/dL hamoglobin. I knew straight away it was related to my Beta Thalassemia.
I just wanted to ask you all...
What has been challenging to you about having Beta Thalassemia? some days I don't feel like i have it..I exercise 3-4 days a week and don't feel too bad after a 1 hour run. So in a way its not really limiting me to physical fitness. Some days I will feel really tired especially working 9 hours, but i guess thats normal for MOST people.
Also my biggest concern now is, in the next 2 years me and my boyfriend want to have children..after reading the forums on beta thal and pregnancy its starting to scare me abit. I want it to be smooth sailing but I know some women haven't been so lucky. Though my mother has beta thal and gave birth to me and my 2 brothers with no complications (not that i know of). What things should I be worried about, to prepare etc...
I know I have a lot of questions but i guess that is because now I have to accept the fact I have it and its going to stay with me forever. So any helpful advice I would be so appreciative.
Thanks a lot :)

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: A newbie would like all the help she can get
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »
Hi Helsbels,

:welcomewagon on the forum,First of all,you should get your boyfriend tested for thalassemia,Because if both partners have thal minor,there is a 25% chance that baby can have thal major.your hb is what most thal minors have,i won't call it normal,but this is mostly the level thal minors maintain,but you can try to raise it with supplements like folic acid,which helps in the formation of new red blood cells.If you are not physically tired most of the time,i think this hb is working for you,and i think your exercise is also helping you,i feel a lot better on days i exercise,rather then on days when i don't.

Hope this helps :) .

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk