Hemoglobin H. Often feeling tired and pale .....

• 20 Replies

Offline sn196

Hemoglobin H. Often feeling tired and pale .....
« on: February 22, 2011, 10:44:17 PM »
Hi All,

I havent posted on this site for ages. Last time i posted was before our first baby as we didnt know if my wife was a carrier when pregnant.

Recently i have been feeling really tired and looking very pale, even after a good nights sleep. I have been for blood tests but my GP doest know much about HbH to advise.

Im just wondering if someone could recommend supplements that can help perk me up.

It seems from the forum that Vitamin C is good and Folic Acid, which i take (when i remember to do so).

Can anyone advise if L-Arginine is BAD to take with my blood condition?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Hemoglobin H. Often feeling tired and pale .....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »
L-arginine is safe and is often recommended for thals because it helps to fix nitric oxide which helps the circulatory system work better. I usually recommend that or L-carnitine. I would also suggest getting your vitamin D level checked. It's the most common deficiency and causes tiredness, a weakened immune system and even depression. The level should be a minimum of 35.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline sn196

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:55:40 AM »
Thanks andy.

Will the L-argenine help with the tiredness and paleness? Or is that part and parcel of thal?

I went for a full blood count today so will post the deficiencies  if that's ok so that you can recommend what could make me feel better.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:22:04 AM »
Hi,

If your hb is low,that can be a reason of your tiredness,but as Andy said,you should get your D levels checked,as low D levels can lead to daily tiredness and fatigue,i am a thal minor,and my D level was wayyyyyyyyyy low,i was prescribed Vitamin D injections and i still take Vitamin D as a supplement.

Folic acid and a good B Complex would help too.and if you can,try wheat grass.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline sn196

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
I will receive my results next week.

I have already bought some l-argenene and have folic acid. Would it be safe to take these 2 with Vitamin D as a supplement, a good B Complex and some wheat grass?

Thanks

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 05:21:51 PM »
Yes, they're all safe together.
Andy

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
My I suggest one other supplement?? Try B12... it helps with energy and blood cell formation. :D

Personally, i dont find Folic acid does anything... Ive been taking it since I was 8... Im sure it helps me - but I dont find any great benefits, that I notice

Offline sn196

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
Hi all, just a quick update. I have been taking folic acid and L-arginine everyday and its made a nice difference. I'm no longer looking pale everyday (only if I've had a very late night) and has only slightly helped with the energy side of things. Would adding L-carnitine do any harm??

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 12:09:14 AM »
You can add L-carntine but it might be better to add L-lysine since you're already taking L-arginine.

The oxidative stresses of thalassemia deplete nitric oxide levels and this group can help to fix NO in the body. Long term, this helps to also maintain the elasticity and flexibility of blood vessels, allowing them to work properly to move blood throughout the body. HbH is similar to beta intermedia and pulmonary hypertension (PHT) is often a problem as patients get older. In PHT, the artery between the heart and lungs loses flexibility, reducing its functionality and raising the pressure in that artery, putting stress on the heart. This is a danger to thals as they age. Maintaining the circulatory system in optimum condition should be a long term goal for all thals. I have noted often that the symptoms reported by thal minors are also symptoms of mild PHT, so I feel all thals can benefit from using foods and supplements that encourage the production of nitric oxide in the body.
Andy

Offline sn196

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 12:44:05 PM »
Andy im going to try and add some muscle mass. I am still taking the l-argenine and folic acid but which of l-carntine or l-lysine would be more benefitial to muscle mass and the tierdness/paleness?

Offline sn196

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
Me again... I started to see great results from the l-argenene and folic acid combination but im now back to stage 1. Looking very pale and constantly tired.

I need to add to these 2 but not sure what to add..... As been suggested above there are a number of choices including vitamin d, l-lysine, wheat grass, b12..

Please could someone advise which of the above should be my next purchase? Unless you advise to take them all then ill have to get all. I really need to a boosted as it's affecting me at work.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 07:58:31 PM »
Has your vitamin D level been checked? It may be that the amount you are taking is not high enough. (I take 5000 IU daily and that keeps me just above the minimum level of 35).
Andy

Offline sn196

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 05:51:05 AM »
Andy, i havent had a blood test for a year or so. Would you suggest that i do?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »
Get your D level checked again.
Andy

Offline sn196

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »
Hey I'm back....

So it's started again. I'm feeling weak, tired, pale, tingly, clammy.

I'm taking my supplement daily:
B complex
Folic Acid
L-argenine
L-lysene

Any recommendations of what could help me. I'm fed up of people commenting on how pale and tired I look.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk