Clogging of Leukocyte Reduction Filters

• 23 Replies
Re: Clogging of Leukocyte Reduction Filters
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »
anupam
sorry i have not been able to reply early. thanks for clarifying. actually as i have mentioned earlier i also use PALL filters and and get them from india.  so far i hav not come across this problem of clogging. that is y iasked u at what stage it starts clogging. iand each filter costs me 1400 indian rupees.
thanks
shaziya

Offline Poirot

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 11:07:56 AM »
Poirot, thank you for the fresh look.

I've no idea what you guys are talking about. I hav ben given washed blood all my life. I hope it will be standard in every part of the rule too. Weren't Bill Gates and his wife last week in India? I know they do anit malaria things. Time someone goes waving witha thlassemia flag under their nose. Why can't thalassemia be not an issue of chairty? Maybe that is also not smart and do you need to motivate people from within. Well, I let me say that I say nothing.

Welcome, Dore. In the great country that we call Bharat aka India (4th largest economy in the world), getting safe blood still remains THE key issue for most thalassaemics - I shudder when I think of thals in non-metro cities in India. I have been lucky to have had access to good quality blood from the start, thanks initially to the Tata Trusts (India's version of the Gates and Buffet) and then Red Cross - but, it still remains a challenge for most thals in India.

RE: Malaria vs Thalassaemia - I guess it is a question of numbers. It is ironic that Thal will remain an orphan disorder, until enough number of people have the disorder globally, at which point in time you have a health crisis, to make it worthwhile for policy makers to pay attention!

As you can see, I am feeling very grouchy/cynical today.

Cheers

Poirot
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:37:44 AM by Poirot »

Offline Laura

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 09:09:52 PM »
Hello!

How are things? Did you try any of the options we talked about?

Kisses,

Laura.
The most important thing in life is not what you achieve but the fact of fighting for it.

Offline nat

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 07:48:06 AM »
I think you guys in India are luckier and have better access & facilities for thal.

Leuco-depleted or 'washed' blood isn't always available at the red-cross here (in Indonesia). They said they only process it if the blood bag is >400cc, and therefore need bigger donor (physically).  :dunno
So, I use packed cell with filter sometimes. The price is higher in this case, since the PALL filter is not easy to get (around 3x pricier than yours). About the clogging, my doctor said once it's because incorrect procedure during filter installment (so air bubble enters the filter somehow) or the blood wasn't saved in the right temp.

I hope things will get better and filtered blood will be a standard in SEA countries.

~Nat

Offline Dori

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »
I share that wish. Also thank you for your answer Poirot.

Offline laiba mukhtar

• lake saif ul maluk......luv it
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:06 AM »
Hi
anupam... i also use the leucocyte filter same as laura showed in the pic.... in the start i was also having the same problem that i have to waste the half or quarter blood bag at the end because of the slow speed due to filter and i get frustrated because i have to waste the whole day...... but then i have found a solution for me ... as i start my transfusion i hang my blood bag at maximum hight (i put the blood stand on chair or table and sit on sofa) u can put the blood stand at chair..:) and starts it at good speed by doing so it does not stop and ends in proper time......i don't know whether u like this suggestion or not but i thought i should share may be it will help u...:)
And here some doctor says that washed blood raises less Hb as compare to non washed...so they say it is better to use filters..what you people say about it???
thanks
laiba

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:49 AM »
Frankly, the cost of washed packed red cells is the main reason they can't be used more, so the filter is absolutely essential.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline laiba mukhtar

• lake saif ul maluk......luv it
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »
but here there is no cost for washed blood red cells.... because the blood bank is of Government.... may be they do something different which has no more cost... :-\..
hmmm..... :huh here they use normal slien (drip ) in wash process... :rolleyes

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
Does the blood bank make washed red cells available?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk