Possible Alpha Thalassemia

• 6 Replies
Possible Alpha Thalassemia
« on: March 09, 2011, 03:29:06 AM »
Hi my name is Angela and I just has a hemoglogin electrophoresis done and the results said possible alpha thalassemia. Can someone help me to decipher the blood levels that are indicating this?
Also I was told when I was maybe 10 that i could have thalassemia and all i can remember was going to the doctors a million times to get blood drawn but I was told then that I was not. I received no treatment. But I dont know if it was missed as a child. Im pretty clueless with this.
Hemoglobin A                 96.7
Hemoglobin F                 <1.0
Hemoglobin A2 (quant)      2.3
Interpretation  possible alpha thalassemia. Rule out iron deficiency.
I'm sure the multiple blood tests I had as a child was to test my iron deficiency because they had me on different types of iron *i remember because  I was so constipated my poor tummy was always hurting*

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add other blood levels if it helps.
Hemoglobin           10.4
Hematocrit            32.8
MCV                     77.8
RDW                    24.8

I am 35 years old slim 140 lbs 5'8"

Thanks Again!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:43:04 AM by Libragirl »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Possible Alpha Thalassemia
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:17:55 AM »
Hi Angela,

I'll start by saying that alpha thalassemia minor is very difficult to diagnose in adults because there is usually no hemoglobin H found in the electrophoresis. A combination of various test results and ruling out iron deficiency can lead to a diagnosis of alpha minor, but the only certain method is a DNA sequencing (although presence of alpha thal in relatives would also lead to a definite diagnosis). There isn't enough information here to say a lot, but the RDW is quite high, which is unusual in alpha minor unless iron deficiency co-exists. Why was iron deficiency ruled out? Have you also had a group of tests called iron studies? These are necessary for ruling out iron deficiency but also because these can aid the diagnosis in general. Also, were there any comments in the reports about the physical appearance of the red blood cells?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 07:20:14 AM »
Looking at your bio, I see you are going through IVF treatments. Are you using PGD also? If so, this would definitely diagnose if you are a thal carrier.
Andy

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:26:28 PM »
Hi Angela,

I'll start by saying that alpha thalassemia minor is very difficult to diagnose in adults because there is usually no hemoglobin H found in the electrophoresis. A combination of various test results and ruling out iron deficiency can lead to a diagnosis of alpha minor, but the only certain method is a DNA sequencing (although presence of alpha thal in relatives would also lead to a definite diagnosis). There isn't enough information here to say a lot, but the RDW is quite high, which is unusual in alpha minor unless iron deficiency co-exists. Why was iron deficiency ruled out? Have you also had a group of tests called iron studies? These are necessary for ruling out iron deficiency but also because these can aid the diagnosis in general. Also, were there any comments in the reports about the physical appearance of the red blood cells?

Thanks for replying Andy
I remember as a child having to go for a billion blood tests because they thought i had Thal. I called my mom and she said when I was younger she was tested at the same time that I was and we were both neg. She said it's iron deficient. The test scared me because I didnt know if I should be doing anything for the Thal.
As far as the IVF, this was one of the screening blood tests required for my cycle. I dont think I'm going to do pgd because I am part of a study and I can not purchase additional tests. But I am going to have my husband tested just to be sure.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 07:11:35 PM »
Angela,

The one thing you should be doing is taking folic acid daily as long as you are of child bearing age. If alpha thal is ever confirmed, then folic acid should be a permanent daily supplement.
Andy

Offline ABI

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:56:03 AM »
hello,

you were telling that alpha thal minor is not possible to diagnose with electrophoresis, so what test should be done to identify if you are Possible Alpha Thalassemia carrier

thank you

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 03:18:52 AM »
Hi Abi,

A DNA  test will tell you if you have Alpha Thalassemia.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk